• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Post Endoscopy - lump in throat?

My newly-diagnosed 14 year old had an upper endoscopy on Tuesday. Last night she said her throat feels funny when she swallows - kind of like a lump in her throat - but not quite like that. She said it's felt that way since the procedure and she thought it would go away. Anyone else experienced this? Is this normal? Will it go away? I emailed her doctor's nurse, but I thought I'd ask here as well. Thanks.

Lady Organic

Staff member
just had upper endoscopy a few weeks ago. Throat discomfort for a few days after the procedure is totally normal. It will decrease day by day. when we have questions related to endoscopy, colonoscopy, etc we can contact directly the endoscopy department and talk to a nurse who works there. they know all the answers related to the procedures. I contacted them exactly for the same question on my return home :ysmile:

how did your daughter handled the procedure? It was aweful for me. I didnt receive sedation and I had gag/vomit reflex all the way. It was very difficult. I hope I never have to get this procedure ever again or for sure I ask for the sedation like we get for the colonoscopy.

just had upper endoscopy a few weeks ago. Throat discomfort for a few days after the procedure is totally normal. It will decrease day by day. when we have questions related to endoscopy, colonoscopy, etc we can contact directly the endoscopy department and talk to a nurse who works there. they know all the answers related to the procedures. I contacted them exactly for the same question on my return home :ysmile:

how did your daughter handled the procedure? It was aweful for me. I didnt receive sedation and I had gag/vomit reflex all the way. It was very difficult. I hope I never have to get this procedure ever again or for sure I ask for the sedation like we get for the colonoscopy.
Thanks for your response. My daughter's procedure went routinely, with no issues. She was sedated though, unlike you. What you went through sounds terrible - I'm so sorry!