• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Stomach Acid

How many people had trouble with heartburn and were being treated with ant-acids or p

• Total voters
How many people had trouble with heartburn and were being treated with ant-acids or proton pump inhibitors before being diagnosed with crohn's (IBD).

The reason I ask is I started taking a Proton Pump Inhibitor for acid reflux 18 months ago age 54 and soon after I started with diarhea which lasted up until last month when I was diagnosed with Crohn's.

The theory goes that stomach acid keeps the nasty bacteria in your bowel down.
So if you suppress the acid the nasties build up.

Last edited:
I never had trouble with acid until 6 weeks before my diagnosis of crohns. I originally was booked in for an endoscope to rule out an ulcer but the first consultant already thought that the pain was due to IBD. The CT scan showed duodenitis as well as inflamed ileum. Ive since had a resection but still get duodenitis intermittently. I only take PPI's when needed not routinely. It didn't cause my crohns though it came hand in hand with it.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
The pred in my opinion caused my Hiatus hernia. I only take nexium for a short period and find it helps my crohns as well. It heals ulcers and I have those in the ileum.. So what the heck, if I think it is helping then it will, the mind works in mysterious ways.

I would suggest you try this..buy some ginger, peel and cut small 1/2 inch piece and place in cup of hot water. Let it steep for about 3 minutes and you can either leave it in the cup or take it out. Sip slowly. This will always relax an upset stomach and balance stomach acid. Digestive enzymes with each meal will also help you deal with stomach acid.

Good luck!

I'm having awful trouble with acid pain at the moment I've had 2 bouts of severe pain with nausea and vomitting which resides back to a dull background ache somewhere in the region of the stomach / duodenum, not sure if it might even be gallbladder but back on Nexium to see if that helps. Haven't been to doc yet as still burying head in sand