• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Vitamin D Deficient

Hi All
I've been a member of the forum for a while but this is my first post, soon to be followed by sharing my story on a different thread. I hope you can help and advise. Today I got a letter from my IBD clinic that said recent blood work shows Vit D Deficiency and enclosed prescription of supplements, while saying they will recheck in the clinic when I come in. This is a first for me with my crohns. I've had B12 injections, had iron supplements, am currently on calcium and multivitamin daily and am now also on probiotics. I know my appearance has not been great recently (very pale, ghostly pale) and so very tired. Are these connected to Vit D Deficiency with crohns? Any advice you can share I'd be delighted with. I'm 55, diagnosed cronie 2 years (undiagnosed 20!), I've had ileum resection surgery a year ago and a number of flares, obstructions etc., things still not settling. hoped for remission after surgery was short. I'm worried about this Vitamin D deficiency appearing. Looking forward to hearing what you have expereinced with this. thanks for reading.

Hi. I don't have an answer but this is a supportive group and i am sure someone will come along who will have the answer.

Thank you. I did search and came across an older thread, which ended in 2014 but it is still very informative so I will work my way through that for the moment.

Sounds like there might be a malabsorption issue but not sure of solution.

Sounds like there might be a malabsorption issue but not sure of solution.
Yes, Crohn's certainly hinders absorbing vitamins along with other nutrients. I used to be deficient in D and B12.

I am now taking around 25,000 iu of D3 and also take a sublingual B12 supplement. The B12 Supplement works far better than the shots I used to get. I never got to a normal level until I started using the sublingual B12.

Basically, you take an amount of D3 that will bring your levels up to whatever level you are targeting. I go for between 60 to 80. My last test was 50 so I upped my dose again. The only way to know how much to take is to get your D level checked on a regular basis. That really is necessary because our absorption is going to vary depending on the status of the inflammation in the guts. You will absorb more when in remission and less otherwise.

We have a lot in common. I was diagnosed about 8 years ago and am 55 now. I Had two resections. One for a stricture and the second for fistulas which resulted in the removal of my ileum and a temporary ileostomy. Carried a bag around for a few months. Didn't care much for that. I also was regressing after my last surgery. Doing good now though.

If your doctor wrote a prescription for vitamin D, it was likely D2. D3 is the form humans carry around so I would use D3 if it were my choice. It's readily available.

Good luck.

Dan

Bufford

Years ago I was diagnosed with low vitamin D levels. I have been taking one 1000 IU tablet daily since the diagnosis and my levels have been perfect now and stay stable.

Hi All
I've been a member of the forum for a while but this is my first post, soon to be followed by sharing my story on a different thread. I hope you can help and advise. Today I got a letter from my IBD clinic that said recent blood work shows Vit D Deficiency and enclosed prescription of supplements, while saying they will recheck in the clinic when I come in. This is a first for me with my crohns. I've had B12 injections, had iron supplements, am currently on calcium and multivitamin daily and am now also on probiotics. I know my appearance has not been great recently (very pale, ghostly pale) and so very tired. Are these connected to Vit D Deficiency with crohns? Any advice you can share I'd be delighted with. I'm 55, diagnosed cronie 2 years (undiagnosed 20!), I've had ileum resection surgery a year ago and a number of flares, obstructions etc., things still not settling. hoped for remission after surgery was short. I'm worried about this Vitamin D deficiency appearing. Looking forward to hearing what you have expereinced with this. thanks for reading.
Vitamin D deficiency has been suspected in the etiology (fancy medical word that means the cause) of Crohn's, and also its worsening/manifestation of symptoms.

I take a sugar-coated, lemon-flavored D3 gummy every day made by a company called Rainbow Light. You can get them at a Whole Foods Market or online. I really, really recommend these things.

I'm a human, and I find that my adherence to my D3 regimen is much better when the supplement actually tastes good!

This mention isn't going to be all that helpful, but I stopped taking a vitamin D supplement. I began reading about the benefits of sun exposure. Being in the sun raises vitamin D levels, but the sun also provides a good many other health benefits. I mention as many of the vitamin D studies can be confusing. Benefits are frequently mentioned with sun exposure then the vitamin D is given credit.

Anyway, getting some sensible sun exposure works for me. I'm not on medication making me sun sensitive, and I do not burn easy.

Hi, thank you all for responding to Vit D deficiency query. There's a lot of really good information there. I've just started the supplment and hope to feel the benefit of it soon, but at the moment, its the fatigue that is really the problem I need to work through at the moment while I'm waiting for my Vit. D levels up come up to normal and a cam/pill test confirms if I'm in flare again or not next week. Kind regards to all.