• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Anyone have to Wipe a lot after going, and I mean a lot!?!?!?

I was just wondering if anyone else on here has to use Loads of toilet paper just to get clean after having a BM???? I always end up using almost a roll of toilet paper each time I have to use the bathroom. I also NEVER use dry paper, I used moistened with water. I am an gentle as I can be, but I still end up having to wipe a lot in order to get clean. It is imperative that I clean thoroughly due to my issue with being VERY prone to getting urinary tract confections. I also shower right afterwards as well. This has greatly reduced my number of UTI's.

My stool is sticky is how I would describe it. I have a internal fissure which when my GI doctor felt up there and said he thought that is what I have ( i was having some pain in there). I dont think that was caused by wiping though because it is inside the anus, you cannot see if from looking on the outside.

Anyhow, I am just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to make my stool less sticky where I do not have to wipe so much. I actually blot more than wipe. I try and be as gentle as possible as not to irritate things down there any more than they already are. I also apply zinc ointment before I go to the toliet to minimize skin irritation down there. Any ideas on how to make my stool less messy so I do not have to wipe so much?? Am I the only one who has to use that much TP in order to get clean??? My husband jokes and says we should buy stock in Toliet paper with how I go through it!

I wont use just dry toilet paper, it can be irritating. I prefer to use the moistened toilet paper because wet wipes usually are full of chemicals and sometimes Alcohol which can cause irritation. I just wish there was something I could do to make my stools less messy, more solid where I dont have to wipe so darn much.

I use paper and then wet baby wipes. Works much better.

There is about an inch or a little less between your anus and your sphincter muscle. There is "stuff" that gets stuck in there depending on the consistency of the BM.

I found sometimes it's best to wipe a time or 2 and then stand up for a few second and sit back down to wipe. I find this helps to squeeze more out.

What i call itchy butt is the same issue more or less. Sitz baths are recommended a lot.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, when I wipe, I go in a little even to get clean. I just kind of wet the tissue and blot it up there until I get nothing else on the tissue. I hop in the shower after I am done and rinse VERY well in that area. I cannot do any kind of baths due to being prone to UTI's. My urologist said never sit in any water as it just spread bacteria all around into the vagina and will cause a UTI. I just wish I could find a way or something to take that would help make my stool less sticky and messy where I don't have to wipe so much.

There is about an inch or a little less between your anus and your sphincter muscle. There is "stuff" that gets stuck in there depending on the consistency of the BM.

I found sometimes it's best to wipe a time or 2 and then stand up for a few second and sit back down to wipe. I find this helps to squeeze more out.

What i call itchy butt is the same issue more or less. Sitz baths are recommended a lot.

I buy dry cleansing wipes online(Amazon) then wet them with water before wiping. I got a nasty rash from the chemicals in the baby wipes. Then I blot dry with toilet paper. I just had an ileostomy reversal 11 days ago so my bum is raw from all the BM's, plus it is a sticky type as well. I'm thinking of making a solution of witch hazel, water, and aloe for the dry wipes. Preparation H wipes have 50% witch hazel in them. My dad swears by them but I don't like the parabens the brand contains.

I also am super chemical sensitive so that is why I avoid the wet wipes. A lot of them have all kinds of chemicals and irritants in them. That is why I starting using just toilet paper moistened with water. My GI said to never use dry paper. I thought about adding a bulking type fiber but worry it would upset my gut. My anus get so irritated. I have to smear that white zinc oxide paste on the area before I have a BM just so the crap wont irritate the area more.

I buy dry cleansing wipes online(Amazon) then wet them with water before wiping. I got a nasty rash from the chemicals in the baby wipes. Then I blot dry with toilet paper. I just had an ileostomy reversal 11 days ago so my bum is raw from all the BM's, plus it is a sticky type as well. I'm thinking of making a solution of witch hazel, water, and aloe for the dry wipes. Preparation H wipes have 50% witch hazel in them. My dad swears by them but I don't like the parabens the brand contains.

I have an ileostomy, but also have a fistula to my Hartman's pouch...so lots of stuff coming out of my rectum. At home, I have a bidet. Away from home, I use wet tp. Add-on bidets can be purchased at Amazon.

This is just the best forum- I mean where se could you have these conversations and everyone gets it. Not even your Dr unless he happens to have IBD!

Anyway, yes is my answer- I use Tucks when all is said and done its soothing.

Lauren

My condition isn't as bad as some I read about, here. However, I did switch to Scott tissue (seems counterintuitive, but hear me out). It's softer than it used to be, and there's no lint. The reason I quit the Charmin. I use a lot less per wipe, so the toilet is pretty happy about that. This may sound silly, but I never go to the bathroom without my iPad. I do my thing, play two games of solitaire (3ish minutes) to make sure that I'm done. If I'm not, then a game or two more. Do what I can with toilet paper, and finish off with a moistened paper towel. Bounty is nice. Get the short ones. I tear them in half and use 1 or 2 to finish cleanup. Maybe a little lotion after, if I'm particularly irritated. Neutrogena Norweigan hand creme is my pick. A tiny little daub will do it.

My condition isn't as bad as some I read about, here. However, I did switch to Scott tissue (seems counterintuitive, but hear me out). It's softer than it used to be, and there's no lint. The reason I quit the Charmin. I use a lot less per wipe, so the toilet is pretty happy about that. This may sound silly, but I never go to the bathroom without my iPad. I do my thing, play two games of solitaire (3ish minutes) to make sure that I'm done. If I'm not, then a game or two more. Do what I can with toilet paper, and finish off with a moistened paper towel. Bounty is nice. Get the short ones. I tear them in half and use 1 or 2 to finish cleanup. Maybe a little lotion after, if I'm particularly irritated. Neutrogena Norweigan hand creme is my pick. A tiny little daub will do it.
That is okay. I take my Kindle and a book. Sometimes, I either look through this forum, play a game or read.

Lol, that is what is great about this forum! We can share our poop stories and not be worried about it, we are all on the same page! Thanks for all the advice everyone. My anus is irritated again! I bought this different zinc oxide oinment( it literally only has 20% zinc and petrolatum and wax. No other ingredients. I am super sensitive to chemicals so the less the better for me. I hope this will calm things down some. I also have hydrocortisone ointment. Does anyone else use Hydrocortison 1% ointment on the anal area for irritation?? I also have a fissue but I think it is more inside. I am still trying to deal with that too. Damn I would give anything to be healthy again and not swamped with so many health issues :(

my little penguin

Staff member
Look for a recipe for homemade baby wipes
We used these for ds as an infant ( ridiculously sensitive skin)
I think it was just baby shampoo and water
But it's been over 11 years

Fwiw ds can use cottonelle flushable wipes
All other brand cause issues due to chemicals
And his sensitive skin

Might want to bring up the sticky bm with your Gi
Pancreatic insufficiency is hard to dx
( overlaps a lot with crohns )
But can cause sticky bm

Good luck

Thanks My little penguin.

I brought it up to my GI about this sticky BM issue and he just kind of fluffed it off and was not concerned. I will bring it up again when I see him though.

Thanks for the ideas about the wipes, I will look into that. Right now I use Angel soft toilet paper moistened with warm water when I wipe up after going.

It sucks being so sensitive to everything.

Look for a recipe for homemade baby wipes
We used these for ds as an infant ( ridiculously sensitive skin)
I think it was just baby shampoo and water
But it's been over 11 years

Fwiw ds can use cottonelle flushable wipes
All other brand cause issues due to chemicals
And his sensitive skin

Might want to bring up the sticky bm with your Gi
Pancreatic insufficiency is hard to dx
( overlaps a lot with crohns )
But can cause sticky bm

Good luck

Im not sensitive to anything thank god but a few months ago I had a day of pooping. And my god I was wiping so much I made myself bleed after id say the tenth time of going. It was so itchy and sore I ended up getting andrex shea butter paper, andrex flushable toilet wipes and a tiny plant sprayer to act as a make shift 'bidet'. All together it helped a lot. Now I wipe lighter, I still use copious amounts of paper but when/if im on my second poop I roll out the stuff to use instead of my cheaper paper lol. Not had any problems since. Its wierd because my partner doesnt have any health issues but really sticky BMs. Like spiderman poops!

Had this problem for years, this is what I do:

1) Blot with dry toilet paper, if tolerated
2) Use Cottonelle wipes, hardly any chemicals, gets most of it out.
3) Use Balneol cleansing lotion, this gets the rest out.
4) At night use Calmoseptine which contains zinc (but it also contains Menthol which can irritate.
3 and 4 are available from Amazon.

Had used Tucks which contains witch hazel, it irritated the hell out of the area. Can feel good at the beginning but eventually it irritates.

For stools I use Metamucil in the morning and the same in Capsule form (psyllium husk, 2 capsules) before I go to bed at night. This makes more of a real stool and there is less residue.

Lol, that is what is great about this forum! We can share our poop stories and not be worried about it, we are all on the same page! Thanks for all the advice everyone. My anus is irritated again! I bought this different zinc oxide oinment( it literally only has 20% zinc and petrolatum and wax. No other ingredients. I am super sensitive to chemicals so the less the better for me. I hope this will calm things down some. I also have hydrocortisone ointment. Does anyone else use Hydrocortison 1% ointment on the anal area for irritation?? I also have a fissue but I think it is more inside. I am still trying to deal with that too. Damn I would give anything to be healthy again and not swamped with so many health issues :(
I wish that all of us could be healthy again.

*** bad joke alert***
I had to do a lot of wiping last night at work. I truly think someone passed out the stewed prunes after dinner and gave them to all my residents.
Sorry...