• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Corn, wheat and gluten

I would like to know if anyone out there has had luck in avoiding the same foods as me. I have completely eliminated corn, wheat, gluten and all their derivatives from my diet, leaving me med-free and disease free. I can't be the only one that has a sensitivity to these items. Is anyone willing to give it a try? I have a web site that outlines my diet and what products I'm able to eat from the grocery store. I can't post the address yet; I need 10 posts to do that. In the mean time, had anyone ever tried to modify their diet, and has it brought any relief?....................Lynne

Hi Lynne,
I am corn,wheat, gluten and dairy free. I find avoiding wheat,gluten and dairy makes a big difference with my crohns symptoms plus I just feel a lot better. I found eating corn in any form made my migraines more servere!!
Unfortunately I am still on meds and am currently struggling with the fact my crohns is getting worse!!

M

Wow, interesting. Have you eliminated corn and wheat derivatives such as corn syrup, soy sauce, white vinegar, mustard, ketchup, malto-dextrin, pancake syrup... The list goes on. I found that I have to eliminate even these from my diet. It seems hard to believe that such a small amount of an ingredient makes a difference, but it does. You have to really read all labels. I also have felt much better in general since eliminating these things........Lynne

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
I never eat corn, and avoid wheat as much as possible, I have used Gluten free stuff and it was good tasting just too hard to digest.

Hi Lynne,

I avoid gluten (and all types of grains), sugar, milk, corn (this is just a coincidence, because I wasn't told not to eat it...), and I'm only allowed one fruit a day.

It has made a big difference so far, but maybe I could try to introduce gluten free products, like you do, and also perhaps sugar every once in a while and see how it goes? It would be nice not to be too restricted, and I love my cakes and candy! :p

Oh, and I saw your blog, and the gluten free cookies looked SO tempting! I wonder if we could by those in Norway... I found them on Amazon.com, but they cost 22 dollars a pack (excluding shipping costs). Is that a lot more than in the grocery store in the US? It sounded a bit much to me.

Lots of love,

Whoa! The cookies are about 3 or 4 dollars a pack here! Not sure it would be worth importing it. You may be better off trying to find a good recipe. I do talk a lot about different products on my website, but I was not taking into account the international reach of the internet. Do you have any gluten free products in Norway? Also, for me it's the corn syrup that I need to avoid and not regular sugar, though you may be different. Corn syrup has literally saturated the food market.

Hey, BTW, I joined your Blog. There is strength in numbers. The more people that are willing to make changes in their diet, the more impact it will have on others. I really feel like you do, that it's so important to share this information.

Heya, I am in line with Mussen and the rest of you all - but girls I find it just as crucial to watch out for the E-numbers......watch the E's - especially the E620 series and aroma's !! :hang:

CU, Uli

Heya, I am in line with Mussen and the rest of you all - but girls I find it just as crucial to watch out for the E-numbers......watch the E's - especially the E620 series and aroma's !! :hang:

CU, Uli
What does that mean- "E-numbers"? I never heard of that.

I am slowly thinking this is the way to go. As a newly diagnosed crohnie ( last june) I'm still getting used to the idea that things have changed. I truly feel now that food can help me if I find the right combo. Please post link to diet
Thanks, Carolyn

Here's my link

www.HowIbeatCrohns-Lynne.blogspot.com

It's hard to think that diet can do so much. But consider this: there was a time when the cause of Celiac disease was unknown. Now of course we know that it is caused by a sensitivity to gluten. I think that in the future, a similar cause will be found for Crohns.

Lynne, I love your blog. :) Yep, we do have gluten free products in Norway, so I'm going to have a look around to see what I can find. Not sure I'm allowed to eat many gluten free products yet, as they apparently contain lots of carbs, and my doctor thinks they are not good for my colon. But hopefully I'll be able to slowly introduce some soon, so I can have something that tastes like bread and cakes again in the future! :D

E-numbers is a term we use in Scandinavia (maybe elsewhere too?), I'm not sure what you would call it, but they are synthetic additives as opposed to natural additives. For example sweetener instead of sugar. :)

Lynne, I love your blog. :) Yep, we do have gluten free products in Norway, so I'm going to have a look around to see what I can find. Not sure I'm allowed to eat many gluten free products yet, as they apparently contain lots of carbs, and my doctor thinks they are not good for my colon. But hopefully I'll be able to slowly introduce some soon, so I can have something that tastes like bread and cakes again in the future! :D

E-numbers is a term we use in Scandinavia (maybe elsewhere too?), I'm not sure what you would call it, but they are synthetic additives as opposed to natural additives. For example sweetener instead of sugar. :)
Thank you for the info on E numbers. I had never heard of that term, but then again, that's just me. Sounds like it would be a good idea to avoid them all together. I sure hope you can eat some yummy things in the near future.........Lynne

Wow, interesting. Have you eliminated corn and wheat derivatives such as corn syrup, soy sauce, white vinegar, mustard, ketchup, malto-dextrin, pancake syrup... The list goes on. I found that I have to eliminate even these from my diet. It seems hard to believe that such a small amount of an ingredient makes a difference, but it does. You have to really read all labels. I also have felt much better in general since eliminating these things........Lynne
Sorry so long getting back to your questions, been busy with visitors and hospital trips etc.....
Yes I have eliminated every posible thing I can think of that may contain traces of these things. I find the food labeling system in N.Z is good as well. A lot of products will state on the packaging if it has traces of nuts, gluten, eggs, soy, wheat, dairy etc.
I might even be a bit paranoid about the whole thing, if I'm not sure about something I just don't eat it.
The area I live in is generally good for gluten free products, most cafe and resturants have gluten free choices on their menus. The super markets etc stock a lot of gluten and/or dairy free products! I find corn free products are a lot harder to find though, the majority of g.free stuff uses corn as a main ingredient!!!
I'm getting quiet a few good recipies that are gluten and corn free, I find they taste heaps better than bought stuff and cost a lot less to make!

M

All I have to say is thank you for posting your blog! I find it very helpful and I love the Annie's mac & cheese... mmm :) Must try these cookies, I am a cookie fanatic but I havent found any that settle happy with my stomach!

E numbers are a European invention (that's what the E stands for). Not all of them are necessarily artificial, some colourings may be derived from plants but have an E number. I think the number just means it has been classed as OK to use in foods by the EU.

All I have to say is thank you for posting your blog! I find it very helpful and I love the Annie's mac & cheese... mmm :) Must try these cookies, I am a cookie fanatic but I havent found any that settle happy with my stomach!
Wow, thank you! Keep checking back; I'm trying to get better at posting.

E numbers are a European invention (that's what the E stands for). Not all of them are necessarily artificial, some colourings may be derived from plants but have an E number. I think the number just means it has been classed as OK to use in foods by the EU.
Interesting, I never heard of it. Thank you for the info.

Sorry so long getting back to your questions, been busy with visitors and hospital trips etc.....
Yes I have eliminated every posible thing I can think of that may contain traces of these things. I find the food labeling system in N.Z is good as well. A lot of products will state on the packaging if it has traces of nuts, gluten, eggs, soy, wheat, dairy etc.
I might even be a bit paranoid about the whole thing, if I'm not sure about something I just don't eat it.
The area I live in is generally good for gluten free products, most cafe and resturants have gluten free choices on their menus. The super markets etc stock a lot of gluten and/or dairy free products! I find corn free products are a lot harder to find though, the majority of g.free stuff uses corn as a main ingredient!!!
I'm getting quiet a few good recipies that are gluten and corn free, I find they taste heaps better than bought stuff and cost a lot less to make!

M
The only other thing that I can suggest is to keep a food diary. Write down EVERYTHING you eat, drink...even vitamins, mints... Maybe you can find something in there..................Lynne

I would like to know if anyone out there has had luck in avoiding the same foods as me. I have completely eliminated corn, wheat, gluten and all their derivatives from my diet, leaving me med-free and disease free. I can't be the only one that has a sensitivity to these items. Is anyone willing to give it a try? I have a web site that outlines my diet and what products I'm able to eat from the grocery store. I can't post the address yet; I need 10 posts to do that. In the mean time, had anyone ever tried to modify their diet, and has it brought any relief?....................Lynne
Actually thanks to you I'm on my way to being corn, wheat and gluten free. Never could understand why I was getting migraines after eating corn products.

Hi Lynne,
Yep i've had some luck with diet and keeping the crohn's under control... I see a naturopath as well as my GI doctor. They have me on a whole stack of supplements (eg probiotic, pancreatic enzyme, liver tablets, Glutamine for my intestinal health.
These as well as starting a gluten free diet and reducing levels of saturated fat and dairy, and having more omega 3 fish (salmon etc) have enabled me to halve my Crohns drug (Pentasa) and have no gut pain or digestive issues.
So yes i'm all for diet control but don't currently have the discipline to go full hard core :) so am still on the drugs... (albeit a lower dose).
Had a look on your website and it looks fantastic! looks like it's doing great things

Hi Lynne,
Yep i've had some luck with diet and keeping the crohn's under control... I see a naturopath as well as my GI doctor. They have me on a whole stack of supplements (eg probiotic, pancreatic enzyme, liver tablets, Glutamine for my intestinal health.
These as well as starting a gluten free diet and reducing levels of saturated fat and dairy, and having more omega 3 fish (salmon etc) have enabled me to halve my Crohns drug (Pentasa) and have no gut pain or digestive issues.
So yes i'm all for diet control but don't currently have the discipline to go full hard core :) so am still on the drugs... (albeit a lower dose).
Had a look on your website and it looks fantastic! looks like it's doing great things
Thank you so much for checking it out. I'm trying to post foods that I can easily find in the local grocery store as well as easy recipes. It really is a very hard diet to follow, but better than the alternative of being sick all the time. It takes a lot of thought, planning and prep to keep on this diet. Sounds like you're doing a great job as far as you've come. Here's my blog address if anyone is interested:

www.HowIbeatcrohns-Lynne.blogspot.com

wow! i couldnt find the cookies so i got gluten free brownies and YUM. absolutely delicious and reccomend to anyone who thinks it will make their tummy happy. this is my "special" treat to myself. i also found it insane in the store how much crap i cant have. everything seems to contain stuff that my tummy doesnt like. darn. :(

does everyone with crohns avoid gluten/wheat? even though its suppose to be a larger factor in celiac? ive eliminated dairy and all wheat/gluten. i found when i do eat wheat products my stomach is very unhappy. is this common for crohns?

I do what works for me. I think that different people may need to eliminate different things. It should be noted that just eliminating the wheat and gluten from my diet did not stop it 100%. Once I eliminated the corn and corn products and derivatives, then I was able to achieve 100% remission. I can eat dairy without trouble, though it does give me gas sometimes, but no D or bleeding. Crohns is different from Celiac, but maybe similar in the way that it can be treated.

last year, during my most severe flare up involving intense constant pain, Bloddy D, (you get the picture...) I went on a Gluten Free Diary Free, Sugar free diet and withing 6 weeks my symptoms were reduced by 90%. While the symptoms went away, a colonoscopy showed that my flare up was in full force and my SED RATE was 128 (15 to 25 is normal). I had surgery two weeks ago and I can now eat foods I eliminated from my diet for over 10 years.
Good job Lynne! sharing your experiences with us here - Thank You!

ps - I get the Gluten Free cookies from a web site which ships two cases at a time and they will ship world wide. Glutino has distribution in Europe so you dont have to ship from the US