• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Overweight with crohns

Ok, so the one big thing I've learnt about chrons is that almost everyone loses weight - so why am I gaining it all the time.

A very short history - prior to having a right hemicolectomy in Nov 2009 I was overweight but active. Apparently I've had chrons for some time but unitl I got an abcess on the ileum didnt' know it as I had no symptoms - the surgery activated it Now I have active chrons, the only treatment I have is salofalk granules, B12 jabs and folic acid. I run when I can which isn't often but I'm now 3 stone overweight (42lbs).

Why am I not losing the excess weight when a good proportion of what I eat (apart from raw fruit/salad & juices) makes a swift exit?

Any thoughts anyone :confused:

I gained a lot of weight after i was diagnosed despite eating well and being fairly active. i have no idea why but I wanted to let you know, you're not the only one. :D

Thanks closedingirl. I found an older thread about the same subject after I posted this one. The general thought on there was that the medical people would be happy as it means I'm absorbing nutrients - but even after B12 jabs and folic acid I'm still suffering with fatigue so I wonder if all the nutrients are passing through and I'm only absorbing the fat

Your experience is extremely common. There are posts asking this question on the forum quite frequently. I think weight loss only happens in Crohn's when peoples' symptoms cause them to stop eating. If you're still eating you're still going to absorb it, even if it doesn't seem like that's even possible.

I think it's actually really common for people to be "overweight" with Crohn's. The medications they give us in combination with the safe foods we can eat as well as the exhaustion we experience are a deadly combination, among other factors.

Thanks again - I don't feel so bad now - I thought I must be eating more than was good for me even though I know I'm not, and not being able to exercise properly makes losing weight even harder!

Thanks again - I don't feel so bad now - I thought I must be eating more than was good for me even though I know I'm not, and not being able to exercise properly makes losing weight even harder!
I think that must be why it bothers me so much that people are told Crohn's involves weight loss. In so many people that is not the case, and the last thing people with IBD need is to worry about their weight, feeling extra guilty that they're not skinny if their disease should be making weight loss "easy." 'Cause that really doesn't seem to be the case for most people.

I know I gained a lot on prednisone. But part of it is my diet. I feel bad because I used to be a healthy weight but all I can do now is try to get back to that.

I am a bit overweight at present, because I still drink alcohol but don’t do any exercise.

The only other time I put on weight was after I started using the drugs. The doctor said I was obese, which shocked me greatly, as pre-illness I was always a skinny little thing.

I have been told that a lot of “weight” in C & UC is actually just water retention, which can sometimes be a side effect from certain drugs.

Also apparently a lot of “weight” is actually stored toxins, rather than fat from food. Toxins can build up over the years from chemicals in skin care products, to preservatives in food, to environmental issues, to past medical drug use.

Have you tried dry skin brushing? It is great for lymph drainage which helps with removing stored toxins. Good for assisting weight loss. Plus can help improve a sluggish bowel.

Dr Bernard Jensen was a big advocate of dry skin brushing and there are some good articles about it on the web.