• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Mtx dosage

I am curious to know the dosage prescribed to kids takinget methotrexate. My daughter currently gets a 10mg shot once a week. She feels very tired the following day.

Maya142

Staff member
My daughters have been on anything from 7.5 mg to 25 mg. 25 mg is usually considered the highest dose, though I have heard of rheumatologists occasionally going up to 30 mg.

10 mg is a fairly low dose. My older daughter is on 15 mg. She is also usually a bit tired and nauseous the day after the shot. She takes folic acid daily and Zofran the day after the shot.

Is your daughter on folic acid? If so, what dose is it? Some kids need more to prevent side effects. My kiddos started on 1 mg daily, but it wasn't enough, so we went up to 2 mg daily.

There is also Leucovorin which is folinic acid. Rheumatologists seem to use it more than GIs for some reason. It is considered a "rescue" drug for MTX - used a LOT with cancer patients who take much higher doses. It is usually given 12 or 24 hours the MTX shot and can help with side effects.

However, it's usually given with much higher doses of MTX, since it does impact efficacy a little bit. My girls were on it when they were on 25 mg of MTX per week.

my little penguin

Staff member
Ds has been anywhere from
7.5 mg orally to 17.5 mg orally
And 7.5 mg to 25 mg injection
He gets very sick with injectable
Very few side effects orally
Also needs to take folic acid 1 mg x2 day

My daughters have been on anything from 7.5 mg to 25 mg. 25 mg is usually considered the highest dose, though I have heard of rheumatologists occasionally going up to 30 mg.

10 mg is a fairly low dose. My older daughter is on 15 mg. She is also usually a bit tired and nauseous the day after the shot. She takes folic acid daily and Zofran the day after the shot.

Is your daughter on folic acid? If so, what dose is it? Some kids need more to prevent side effects. My kiddos started on 1 mg daily, but it wasn't enough, so we went up to 2 mg daily.

There is also Leucovorin which is folinic acid. Rheumatologists seem to use it more than GIs for some reason. It is considered a "rescue" drug for MTX - used a LOT with cancer patients who take much higher doses. It is usually given 12 or 24 hours the MTX shot and can help with side effects.

However, it's usually given with much higher doses of MTX, since it does impact efficacy a little bit. My girls were on it when they were on 25 mg of MTX per week.
She is currently taking 1mg of folic everyday.