• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Colonoscopy

Hi,
I'm having a colonoscopy on Wednesday and really nervous
I'm having sedation and my consultant is doing it for me.
Can anyone tell me how they found it?

It is the before part that has always been the worst for me. I have had dozens of colonoscopies and they have been a breeze for me. Drinking that stuff and running to the bathroom is the worst, but do not worry you will get through it. Just start eating liquids a couple days before and that helps.

Trysha

Staff member
Hello Vick23
Welcome to the forum..

The prep is the most challenging..
I just had upper endoscopy and colonoscopy and was completely unaware of everything, out cold all the way through.
Woke up in recovery and felt good .
I was given something to drink after resting a while and then dressed and was taken home.
I was very apprehensive like you, although I have had plenty of scopes before but not two at the same time.
I have a new GI and he is so competent and compassionate---- love him to bits!
You will be fine, eat lightly from now till the prep it will make things easier.
Let us know how it goes.
Hugs and best wishes
Trysha

Hello. I hope your colonoscopy goes well. Most people find it tolerable, but I'm afraid I found it absolutely agonising and I would never, ever undergo one again. The sedation didn't work for me. However, all I got was a quick injection before the procedure and they were totally unconcerned that it hadn't worked and I was in pain and they were quite nasty to me. They said it was my fault for being so afraid, as this stops the sedative from having any effect. I've come across other people who've also had bad experiences (my aunt said it was worse than childbirth for her).

I'm sorry to be so negative. I wasn't sure whether I should post or not, but decided that it's best to be honest about experiences on a forum like this. Hopefully your colonoscopy experience will be nothing like mine, and it's good that your consultant is doing it, as I presume it's someone you trust and they obviously must have a huge amount of experience.

For the sake of balance, too, my brother had a colonoscopy the other week and felt nothing more than occasional, moderate discomfort.

The sedation worked great for me.

You'll need your sense of humor on Tuesday when you are doing the prep. And good toilet paper. On prep days, I always find myself thinking I should buy a better toilet seat.

Don't get too far from the toilet once you have started your prep. Take your phone or ipad or a good book and sit nearby.

I had a sigmoid colonoscopy done 2 weeks ago. Wasn't anywhere near as bad as I expected. The sedation works great and you don't remember anything :D Like everyone says, the prep is the worst part

Update :)
Had my colonoscopy yesterday they found a lot of inflammation
Couldn't get to my small bowel because of inflammation and was ulcerated got to have a ct scan which he has put as urgent. they also took a biopsy had a lot of pain last night and had to go to hospital early this morning was given pain relief they think it's where it's irritated my bowel from the prep and the colonoscopy.

Update :)
Had my colonoscopy yesterday they found a lot of inflammation
Couldn't get to my small bowel because of inflammation and was ulcerated got to have a ct scan which he has put as urgent. they also took a biopsy had a lot of pain last night and had to go to hospital early this morning was given pain relief they think it's where it's irritated my bowel from the prep and the colonoscopy.
Sorry to hear you had pain with the biopsy. I never felt anything. I make sure with my doctors. I also had inflammations.and went home fine. Please check with your dr. And make sure your fine the next time! Its your right to feel nothing after words! No need to feel any pain.! :)

I have been given steriods called budesonide and taking co-codamol.
Just have to wait for my ct scan and biopsy results but my consultant suggests Crohn's.