• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What Career/Job Do You Have?

It's really nice seeing how many people are so resilient and able to keep doing such challenging jobs. Love those positive posts!

I've just applied to Uni to study Nursing. Do you find that you get tired from your work? If you had Crohns whilst you were studying, do you have any tips on how you made it work?
Good luck with your application!!

Yeah, I had some serious fatigue at times - especially on the wards where I was there for 12.5 hour shifts - murder:ybatty:

I had my diagnosis 3 years prior to starting my training so I had figured out the little tricks that worked for me by that point. I'd say, for studying, do it in short bursts and powernap to keep you alert. For the actual placements I kept a very strict diet as I was desperate to avoid flaring so I practically:

- lived on fish (good for reducing inflammation and boosting brain power too), banannas (slow release energy, and for me not a trigger food) and water

- I was also strict about sleep and never stayed up past 9.30 because I was usually exhausted anyway but if I did have a late night I would suffer for it for days later

- restricted my eating on working days so there was no "urgency" to get to a bathroom (not sure I'd recommend that one per se, but it worked for me)

- I kept all my doc appointments and bloods up-to-date

As a qaulified nurse now (and in an active-resistant flare), I tend to have switched the restricted eating bit to having liquids like complan so I'm not malnourished. I'm a community nurse so I know where all the supermarkets are so I can access bathrooms when out and about. I take methorexate so I administer it on a friday night so I'm not ill with the side effects mon-fri when I see patients. I tend to have lots of mint tea when it's my office days as I don't like taking painkillers regularly as they can sometimes make me drowsy and if you have inflammation in your rectum (as I do) you can become constipated (with codiene for example). Mint tea can help with stomach cramps, not sure about the rectal side of things, but I just tell myself it does that as well.

Hope that helps, but you'll find your own little tricks that will work better for you :)

Good luck with your application!!

Yeah, I had some serious fatigue at times - especially on the wards where I was there for 12.5 hour shifts - murder:ybatty:

I had my diagnosis 3 years prior to starting my training so I had figured out the little tricks that worked for me by that point. I'd say, for studying, do it in short bursts and powernap to keep you alert. For the actual placements I kept a very strict diet as I was desperate to avoid flaring so I practically:

- lived on fish (good for reducing inflammation and boosting brain power too), banannas (slow release energy, and for me not a trigger food) and water

- I was also strict about sleep and never stayed up past 9.30 because I was usually exhausted anyway but if I did have a late night I would suffer for it for days later

- restricted my eating on working days so there was no "urgency" to get to a bathroom (not sure I'd recommend that one per se, but it worked for me)

- I kept all my doc appointments and bloods up-to-date

As a qaulified nurse now (and in an active-resistant flare), I tend to have switched the restricted eating bit to having liquids like complan so I'm not malnourished. I'm a community nurse so I know where all the supermarkets are so I can access bathrooms when out and about. I take methorexate so I administer it on a friday night so I'm not ill with the side effects mon-fri when I see patients. I tend to have lots of mint tea when it's my office days as I don't like taking painkillers regularly as they can sometimes make me drowsy and if you have inflammation in your rectum (as I do) you can become constipated (with codiene for example). Mint tea can help with stomach cramps, not sure about the rectal side of things, but I just tell myself it does that as well.

Hope that helps, but you'll find your own little tricks that will work better for you :)

Thank you so much for your response! I really appreciate it :)
It's so nice to know that there are people out there doing really well for themselves and kicking Crohns butt back!

I'm going to start giving these ideas a go for sure!

I do general labor at a temp place. I work on the days I can and take off when I have to. It pays very little but its what I gotta do right now. Holding down a permanent job has been hell for me.

I work for a company and they have been great so far! I am a customer service representative and it is hard on the phone when I have to go but my co-workers will cover for me! My manager advised me to get FMLA to hold my job while my doc tries to come up with a diagnosis!

My main job is disability support work which I enjoy apart from having to deal with my current manager.
Also work at a hospital transporting patients down to the theatres for surgery etc. Hoping to move into the theatres eventually.

I find that things are easier with a job where I can choose my own hours. That way, if I'm suffering from a lack of energy or if I'm having a flare-up, I can tend to myself without feeling that I am disappointing others and laying too much of a burden on my coworkers. My own idea of hell is a M-F 9-5 job.

I am a writer and interior designer. It works out - for the most part. ;)

Remember guys,

Keep fighting the good fight. I have Crohn's. I currently work as an Investment Banker on Wall Street. You can do whatever you want, focus your energy on doing EVERYTHING you can to stay healthy.

My Monday through Friday -
Wake up 6:00 a.m.
Cook all my food for the day (SCD)
Exercise for 20 minutes (usually Yoga)
Shower
Go to work by 8:30
Work
Leave work by 8:00 (usually at the earliest)
Cook some form of healthy snack (salmon, veggies, honey / almonds)
Sleep.

You can do it.

I'm still trying to find the magic "can do it" switch. Because it's been getting harder and harder every day for the past couple few months. I was doing ok for a while, too.

I am a professor of medical genetics, teach medical students and see patients with genetic diseases. I work in children's hospital. After my diagnosis, some of my colleagues started to diagnose patients with Crohn's disease previously remained for years undiagnosed :)

Phoenixbennu, what part of Kentucky did you move to? The economy here is not great, I agree. Depending on your skill or trade; I teach and am blessed to have a job. Excellent GI's though, both in Lexington and Ashland areas...

I am a CNA at an amazing assisted living. My work is extremely understanding and have even donated money to help pay for my medications. Feel very blessed. I do only work every other weekend try to pick up a Friday. That is all my body can handle. On Monday my body is in recovery mode. I am currently trying to get on disability. Which takes forever!

I used to be a Professor, then when the extreme fatigue from Crohn's kicked in like an atomic bomb on my life... I could no longer do much of anything.. so I've had pretty much no options other than working from home. But thankfully, Im pretty adept and doing work lying down on the couch :)

I operate snowcats at a ski resort. sitting down for long stretches of time is something I don't have much of a problem with, but I have ended up missing about a week every winter due to a flare of sorts. my supervisors and coworkers are pretty understanding but it does put stress on everyone else since it's a pretty small crew and they have to pick up the slack.

I love it and don't see myself doing something else for the next few years as long as my body continues to cooperate.

What kind of interests do you have academically? This should also factor into the equation I would think. Research positions are generally what I have stuck to and was able to work even during flares although there were some times I'd take time off :/

What kind of interests do you have academically? This should also factor into the equation I would think. Research positions are generally what I have stuck to and was able to work even during flares although there were some times I'd take time off :/
Are you a professor? I have plan to apply for PhD program this year.
The flexibility and fun of doing research really attracts me, but the stress somewhat deters me.

I'm an administrative assistant for a real estate developer. I'm really happy with my job so far, though I've only been there 2.5 months.

Before I retired, I was a psychiatric social worker, librarian, caterer. Now I do them all for free and am a lay preacher and volunteer. Mostly cat caterer, I guess and Alzheimer's caregiver.

I work in administration. I have a lot of responsibility, work long hours and have to meet multiple deadlines. When I'm feeling well, I enjoy the challenge and do a great job. When I'm having a flare up, the fatigue makes it much harder the keep all the balls in the air. I make errors I normally wouldn't and then I feel depressed about it. like I've lost my skill level.
I've been wondering about changing careers to something simpler. It's hard to let go but it might be better for me in the long run.

Can anyone else identify with the loss of ability, skills etc ?

Very much. I'm an elementary music teacher and currently looking for a job in something else because I just can't keep up anymore. Even when I'm not in a flare, I have yet to go into remission and symptoms still interfere, and I have the worries over what I'll do if a flare strikes.

It's very frustrating to go into work and be looking at a task or situation and know it's something that I've handled before, but that I just am not up to it now, because I don't physically or mentally have the energy for it, can't focus, whatever it may be. (Sometimes I have tried to play things on the piano and found that I just can't pull off the stuff I could before.)

Love this thread! I grew up wanting to teach but changed my mind after working at a preschool for 3 years. My boss threatened to fire me daily and I felt completing my teaching license was not possible. This was before my diagnosis of crohn's.

Now- I have a desk job for the IT department at a nearby University. I take care of all if their purchasing and I love it! It helps that my boss is so supportive.

I stumbled into embroidery. I walked into a store one day and the lady there and I started talking. With in an hour, I was in the back starting a new job.

I have been fortunate enough to have bosses that care. They have cut my hours drastically recently, BUT, I still have a job. The only rule they really enforce is someone else has to be there with me. I can completely understand that since I work with heavy machinery.

I work in administration. I have a lot of responsibility, work long hours and have to meet multiple deadlines. When I'm feeling well, I enjoy the challenge and do a great job. When I'm having a flare up, the fatigue makes it much harder the keep all the balls in the air. I make errors I normally wouldn't and then I feel depressed about it. like I've lost my skill level.
I've been wondering about changing careers to something simpler. It's hard to let go but it might be better for me in the long run.

I can relate very much with loss of skills and abilities. I was a Physical Therapist Assistant. I would sometimes treat a patient with a diagnosis I have treated hundreds of times and be totally lost on what to do next. I was only working 4 hours a day with a break and I still couldn't keep up with treatments and paperwork. My fatigue is what limits me overall and I would say I am in remission from other Crohn's symptoms except for fatigue. I finally had to retire and have thought about pursuing another career, but I have a good attention span for about 1-2 hours. I hope you can find a good solution for yourself! It is nice to know others feel the same way!
:hug: Fatigue is hard to manage with a job.

Last edited:
This post is very helpful to read at this point in my life.

I have had Crohn's since middle school and I turn 38 next month. I've had restaurant jobs (waiting tables is hard physical and stressful work and the employers are not forgiving about missing shifts and there is not paid leave). I worked at an amusement park - long hours outside - no excuses for missing shifts. GI wrote me a medical release from my contract and I had surgery 2 months later. I've worked as a pharmacy technician but being around contagious customers while on immunosuppressants feels like a ticking time-bomb.
Graduated college: extended 7 year plan ;) choosing a major was difficult - Art history... didn't lead to a related job; I started working in government offices - union, paid leave, fmla, disability - great benefits. I have advanced in my current office and was promoted to HR. Though no longer union I still have paid leave and disability (which was much needed during two resections). I'm currently back in a flare, have exhausted my leave and am struggling with thought of temp disability (afraid to use it as it is limited and want to save it for possible future surgeries). I struggle to work full-time, I have fibromyalgia and migraines that I deal with in addition to Crohns, plus recurrent C. diff bacteria and strongyloid parasite infections that wont go away.
I do payroll and benefits - taking time off really hurts the agency and puts a burden on my overworked boss (she's wonderful and understanding- but the anxiety from feeling guilty about sticking her so often weighs on me).
I no longer qualify for SSDI as I'm government paid so I haven't paid into Soc Sec in over 10 years and the full-time disability program is not the same - I think I have to exhaust my temp. disability before I'm eligible then afraid I'd be denied anyway.

at my whits-end right now :(

Yes! I am so afraid of making mistakes anymore. Its like I don't have quite the same mental capacity. I joke with my co-workers and laugh it off with "I have a case of the dumb today" but really you can only say that so many times if you ever want people to take you seriously. The responsibilities I have feel so overwhelming at times that I feel like my job has outgrown me. I hate to admit that it's me just not being up to it most of the time anymore. I'm 2 years in, and feel like I'm losing it.
I can no longer think logically when I'm in a flare or overwhelmed with fatigue.

I'm an ER nurse. I love nursing, but to be honest the ER is not really the best place for Crohns. It's kinda hard to look at the other nurses who are doing CPR and tell them I have to go to the bathroom! I plan to change to a different department eventually, way to high stress area, but I love it :(

I'm an RN Clinical Case Manager in a children's hospital. Extremely stressful job, doing the job of 2 people and also an exempt employee so work lots of extra hours to keep up. Some days are really difficult to handle, especially when you feel like crud.

I'm an actor and the buffet manager at a dinner theater. The theater is a family business which is great because, even though I'm not part of the family, they sort of "adopt" all of their employees. They know I have Crohn's and any time there's a problem of any kind, they understand I have to handle my health first and foremost. I've worked a lot of other jobs where that wasn't true and it's such a blessing.

I'm a critical care nurse, although right now I'm not working since I'm in grad school studying anesthesia. I love nursing, and I'm lucky that I get constipated with flares and not the other way around, so my issues are primarily pain/bloating/joint pain/fatigue - none of which are fun to work with, especially on your feet 12 hours at a time, but it's do-able. Honestly, the fast pace kept my mind off my aches and pains much more than a desk job would! And it's nice working around medical folks - as long as you're able to show up and work and keep the bottom line happy, they're generally pretty understanding of health issues.

I am a self employed . I conduct advertisement campaign across Canada, do all the graphic design and ad creation for businesses, and on the side a singer/songwriter/performer/author :D

I'm a critical care nurse. As someone who has only recently began suffering IBD like symptoms and worrying about how I'm going to manage at work, it gives me so much hope and reassurance to see so many nurses here who are still able to work :)

Currently I do Accounting Logistics and Website Media for EDCO Food Products, Inc., but I will be leaving them to go back to school. I an finishing my BS/BA in Science-Biology and then on to Medical School.

I am a software developer. It is the best career I can think of if you are in Crohn's Disease. My working environment is quite flexible. No strict working time(when to go to office and when to leave the office are all up to me), no strict time schedule how long to finish a job, and I can ask for working from home whenever I want. This is not a special case just for me. It is our general working environment in our office. I love my job.

feed mill operator. currently looking for a new job due to not being able to keep up with the physical aspect of my job. Thinking about going to school again for something like pharmacy tech.

I'm a small animal veterinarian at a very high paced, extremely over-busy practice. I feel like I am drowning all day every day, just trying to keep up. I go home and literally crash from fatigue and exhaustion, which makes me feel bad for my young children...they deserve better. Not sure what to do about it though...my job pays well and pays for my medical insurance.

Anyone else experience symptoms from a stressful work environment? My husband is super concerned that this stress will send me back into the hospital. I just recently achieved 'remission' status, but I have small bowel Crohn's, which can be silently wreaking havoc. When I'm super extra stressed at work, I get extra fatigued, intense headaches/migraines, and nausea, and then diarrhea. Anyone else notice an increase in symptoms with stress?

feed mill operator. currently looking for a new job due to not being able to keep up with the physical aspect of my job. Thinking about going to school again for something like pharmacy tech.

There's is high stress and low money in the pharmacy. Stay away. I quit after two years when I had a mental break from the stress

I'm a small animal veterinarian at a very high paced, extremely over-busy practice. I feel like I am drowning all day every day, just trying to keep up. I go home and literally crash from fatigue and exhaustion, which makes me feel bad for my young children...they deserve better. Not sure what to do about it though...my job pays well and pays for my medical insurance.

Anyone else experience symptoms from a stressful work environment? My husband is super concerned that this stress will send me back into the hospital. I just recently achieved 'remission' status, but I have small bowel Crohn's, which can be silently wreaking havoc. When I'm super extra stressed at work, I get extra fatigued, intense headaches/migraines, and nausea, and then diarrhea. Anyone else notice an increase in symptoms with stress?
In short, yes.

I'm an elementary music teacher, and when the school year ends in 2 weeks, I won't be going back, even though I've been at it for 9 years. The job has gotten more stressful over the past couple of years and I've gotten worse physically to the point that I can't keep up with it anymore. I was ready to leave a year ago, but I couldn't find other work. At this point, though...I just can't do this anymore.

When I have to put on concerts, I get more abdominal pain because of the extra stress, and I think the overall stress of the job, especially as it has gotten worse in the past couple of years, has aggravated my symptoms. Positive things in life can give me trouble, too--I've gone to conventions for fun and had mini-flares as a result of that, too. Still a form of stress.

I work as an animal husbandry biology science tech. I care for a captive breeding population of an endangered species and I also assist in releasing them into the wild! I totally love my job and the people I work with are very understanding.

However, during breeding season the days are hectic and stressful and I'm on my feet for 90% of the day if it's really crazy. Staffing levels are usually pretty tight and I don't feel like I can call in on most days (animals still need to be fed and cleaned even if I'm sick, ya know?). There have definitely been days when I shouldn't have gone in to work, that's for sure. And here lately I feel like my fatigue and brain fog has started affecting me too... I've been making little mistakes and slip ups here and there that I've never made before (nothing major but it's still stressful to be doing so in front of your boss!) and I tend to jumble and mix up words a little more often than what would be considered "normal" for a person, which is embarassing and starting to affect my self esteem a bit when I'm around coworkers.

I really do LOVE my job though and I'm going to continue to work hard at it! I obviously need to take care of myself and keep my health a priority, but I refuse to let CD control me and call all my shots for me! Hopefully my stubbornness will work :D

I'm a registered midwife, I generally work casual night shift but am finding the hangover sooo much harder to deal with. I've had awful pain and fatigue over the last six months so have barely worked... Hopefully onto a good plan this week and get my head bak in the game.

Thank you so much for your posts everyone! Just to let you know stress for (good or bad) increases my fatigue and all over pain especially headaches. I was a Physical Therapist Assistant only working 4 hours a day with an hour break. Fatigue and brain fog and I just couldn't keep up. I finally had to leave work. Much better now, so when I have really bad fatigue days I can rest and stay home. Changes in weather seem to really effect my fatigue/symptoms as well. Thank God for a loving and supportive husband!!

I'm a residential HVAC service tech. I'm on the road all day but pretty much work my own schedule.. So if I'm not feeling too good can hit a bathroom before going to a customers. Luckily I haven't had it bad enough to where I couldn't work..

I work as an IT Executive; an office based job. I suffer from perianal Crohn's disease, so sitting for long periods can be quite painful, however I managed to get hold of a special foam cushion designed for people with Coccyx injuries and that seems to be helping me a lot. I can now sit for much longer periods and get all of my work done. Luckily the role is quite varied and I will usually be around the office doing various IT related tasks, which lets me air my affected area a bit, although standing for too long means I'll be needing a quick toilet break. Swings and roundabouts so they say.

I teach high school. Up until last august, I did fine but since then it has been downhill. I worry about being able to keep it up

I'm quitting my teaching job. I know there are some people who have been able to manage Crohn's and teaching, but I can't do it anymore.

If you don't mind me asking, how long have you been teaching? And what do you think you will do after quitting? I've been wondering what I would do, figuring I would need a job that would allow me to access a restroom at all times.

I'm quitting my teaching job. I know there are some people who have been able to manage Crohn's and teaching, but I can't do it anymore.

My loss of ability and skills unfortunately came from my mental health issues.
I had a demanding job too and had to multi-task and problem solve.
I got let go from my job of 24 years in 2009 due to "workforce reduction".
It was a rewarding career with good pay. I am now collecting SSD benefits. Even doing volunteer work was too much for me, physically and mentally.
Thanks for listening.

If you don't mind me asking, how long have you been teaching? And what do you think you will do after quitting? I've been wondering what I would do, figuring I would need a job that would allow me to access a restroom at all times.
I've taught for 9 years (elementary music). I was close to quitting last year, but didn't come up with anything last summer, so figured I'd try to push on for another year, hoping it wouldn't be so bad, and instead it was worse. So I'm applying for disability, and in case that doesn't work out, I'm looking at some sort of "office" work. Bathroom access is a big thing for me, too--I had accidents at work a few times this year (I was wearing disposable underwear at least) waiting either for someone to come watch the class for me or thinking I could make it until the end of a class period. I would need something lower stress, hopefully a little closer to home, and hopefully with somewhat more flexible hours. Less demanding of me, and where I'm less essential. I'm not sure I can really handle a normal job full-time anymore. I have migraines and depression as well, so that further complicates things for me.

I'm an Office Manager at a custom sports apparel decorating company, specifically at the south Texas warehouse. I do all things HR - recruiting, interviewing, hiring, firing, disciplinary action, safety, and oversee the imports to our plant in Reynosa, Mexico. It is very fast paced and the stress level can be extremely high, but I love my job and my employer has been very supportive of my situation. Thankfully I have FMLA for when I need to stay at home sick, and on occasion I am able to work from home. Everyone at work already knows that when I am in the bathroom for long periods of time that I am flaring, and I don't feel embarrassed or ashamed when that happens.

I'm an attorney. It seems every time o get on a roll trying cases, something happens. I'm supposed to start a trial tomorrow, but I'm in excruciating pain today and doc wants a CT.

Hi all,
I work at a water treatment facility, taking the muddy Mississippi & making it drinkable. I've worked around lime dust, carbon dust, chlorine, phosphate dust, aluminum dust, etc going on 9 years. Could this have caused my Crohns.. Not gonna dwell on it at this point. It allows me to pay the medical bills, plus I work alone, so the uncomfortable waddle to the loo isn't an issue for me, thankfully. But taking sick time means someone has to work 16 hours so I try to stay strong on my sickest days & tough it out, but sometimes we all just need a day in bed.. Things could always be worse so I'm just fortunate I can still work for the time being.
Cheers and good luck to you all.

Just wanted to post an update-
I'm no longer a funeral director anymore (but still licensed!). I was making myself sick with the long hours at work, among many other things. I've decided to go back to College this fall and get a diploma in Business Finance. Although I've never been an office job type of person, my body will thank me for it. My passion for funeral services is still there, but I've told myself I can always work as an embalmer at a local funeral home on the weekends! Although this wasn't the original path I wanted for my life, I'm still excited for it and looking forward to where it may take me.

I'm new to the forum. I haven't read all the posts on this thread yet as it's quite long.
I am impressed with all of those that can hold a job down.
What jumped out for me was that understanding employers seem to be key most of the time.
Some of you are self employed and some work from home or for family members, which all makes live a bit easier.
The severity of the symptoms of course dictates if you can or can't work.
Someone said that it's easier in the UK to get out of work as the government considers Crohn's to be a disability, therefore sufferers can get housing and living costs paid for.
It's a bit more complex than that actually, and living on disability isn't something you choose if you don't really have to. If people think you can live like a King on those handouts might want to try it for a while. Walk a mile in someone else's shoes before you judge anyone.

I'm a psychotherapist. Worked from home in the past. Self employed.
Running away in the middle of a session because needing the loo isn't very conductive for the therapeutic process of a client. Nor is cancelling their appointment at the last minute.
They are wrapped up in their own problems, they don't need to be confronted by mine.

I'm never bored being at home. I have many interest, plus a family to care for. My husband has always been the main breadwinner, so it's never been an issue if I could work or not.

Hi everyone,
I'm also new to this forum. I always wanted to work in the medical field and I did manage to complete my nursing degree despite my symptoms. Thankfully I had very understanding profs and lots of support from special needs. However, I realised throughout my placements in school that it would be unrealistic to do shift work with Crohn's. There were far too many times I had to leave in the middle of a dressing change on a client to run to the bathroom... not good! So I made the decision to work in a community clinic doing psychiatric and rehabilitation nursing. It's a Mon-Fri 8-4 job and my coworkers and boss are so understanding. However, I've just entered a bad flare with my Crohn's plus I'm experiencing a lot of pain and fatigue. I've just made the decision to go on sickness EI and eventually get on my long-term benefits through work. I'm trying to work part-time hours but I'm having trouble even doing 3 hours/day. I may have to just bit the bullet and take the time off completely to let myself heal. Hopefully once this settles I can get back to it because I love my job!

Hi all,

I am fairly new here too. My husband is the one with Crohn's and he is an IT professional. Diagnosed in Feb 2015, he went to work until end of May. But he had a flare up after that and has been working from home ever since. Luckily his boss has been extremely supportive so far (Fingers crossed), his organization usually doesn't do this kind of stuff much. I don't go to work (very thankful for it now since we are on our own and I am the only one to take care of him). Just waiting for him to get into remission soon :) Hope you all feel better soon too :)

Hi all,

I am fairly new here too. My husband is the one with Crohn's and he is an IT professional. Diagnosed in Feb 2015, he went to work until end of May. But he had a flare up after that and has been working from home ever since. Luckily his boss has been extremely supportive so far (Fingers crossed), his organization usually doesn't do this kind of stuff much. I don't go to work (very thankful for it now since we are on our own and I am the only one to take care of him). Just waiting for him to get into remission soon :) Hope you all feel better soon too :)
Also in IT (Network Admin). Diagnosed in May. My last day with one company was a Friday, and the following Monday was my first with my current company. That weekend I got slammed w/ abdominal pain and wound up in the ER where I was diagnosed initially. Talk about awful timing.

Being still pretty new at my current employer I'm a little nervous to ask for the ability to work from home, but some days it would really be useful. Fortunately it's not usually stressful work, just time consuming and unpredictable. I'll have some international travel coming up soon, which will be interesting. But hey, one day at a time, right?

Also in IT (Network Admin). Diagnosed in May. My last day with one company was a Friday, and the following Monday was my first with my current company. That weekend I got slammed w/ abdominal pain and wound up in the ER where I was diagnosed initially. Talk about awful timing.

Being still pretty new at my current employer I'm a little nervous to ask for the ability to work from home, but some days it would really be useful. Fortunately it's not usually stressful work, just time consuming and unpredictable. I'll have some international travel coming up soon, which will be interesting. But hey, one day at a time, right?
Wow, timing's really bad. But look at all the positive sides of it. Not much stress, that's huge :) And if you have to travel, I would suggest you get it cleared with your GI first, because when my husband asked if he could travel to India for a month, he said he needs to be in remission first and then we would talk about travel. If you're cleared to travel, have a great time :)

I am Technical Project Manager in Software Development. Generally its OK unless I get caught in long meetings. I used to be hesitant to talk about my Crohn's but with the frequency that I have to dash out of meetings, I really don't have a choice but to inform folks of the problem. People understand and I am otherwise good at my job. I've been having a really rough patch for the last couple of months and the support, or at least patience, that I have been getting from my team has really impressed me.

I work as a waitress in a busy premium restaurant and i've had to take a month off because it's just becoming impossible for to do the work required. :(
Need a desk job so badly-

My main job is as a minister of religion, with a Bachelor of Ministries degree. Been at the same church for the last 16 years (www.TeAtatuBaptist.com). Before this I was a hydraulic engineer for 18 years. I now also do engineering as a part time business in my large home garage. (ok, I'm actually a gun-smith - www.Sub-SilentSuppressors.com). Great thing is that both jobs give me a lot of flexibility and I work from home. When in a flare, I can be in over-whelming pain for days - and weeks on end, and have D up to 15 times a day, so I am privileged having these two jobs, but it is also hard as many days I hardly have the energy to get out of bed :0)

Last edited:
Right now, I intern as a web designer & developer. I love the field, and once I have some more experience, I would like to discuss possibly working from home with my current employer, or just going freelance and doing my own thing. I have learned from this internship that hour-long commutes are not for me, but I love this field!

I'm staring a new job at then end of the month working from home with Apple. Being very recently diognosed with Crohn's disease I think it may be a blessing in disguise

I am a Registered Landscape Architect.

There is nothing you cant accomplish in life even when having to handle the enormous peaks and valleys of Crohns.

To all of you walking in these shoes.........
It is amazing that we were able to get to where we are all the while doing it with a very difficult illness that is really just getting noticed publicly.

I have lost jobs after both of my major surgeries....in the end you have to realize you don't want to work for a boss that cant at least try to understand.
There are people who will and do understand and we should all be lucky enough to work for these folks. Jobs can be stressful and often lead to flare ups. The trick is to work on basic behavior modification to learn a good way to deal with everyday stresses and always give yourself a break. I am totally a type A person and had to find a way to be less intense............Therapy helps......Stop and smell the roses......Literally......
Stay Strong!

I'm a System Support Analyst for a National Mapping Agency.

As a few people have mentioned having a desk job is really helpful, and my employers offer flexible working hours and are very understanding. It makes life much easier, but also makes it impossible to leave cos i'm unlikely to get as lucky any where else.

I started to get ill just as i finished University and started my new job. I had loads of time off in my probation period but received good support. I've found trying to be open with people without going into too much unpleasant detail has really helped

I think I have one of the worst jobs for someone who has Crohn's/UC - I am a Surgical Tech - this means I not only know quite a bit about the 'guts' but, I also am very 'intimate' with the procedures that I could be in for! UGH!! LOL
The worst part is that I specialized in Orthopedics but that meant I could be in surgery for anywheres from an hour to 4 hours at a time :( Not good when you never know when 'it' will hit you. I can't just excuse myself from the room.
I have now cut back to a couple days a month & now work for a private Ophthalmologist doing Lasik surgery - which only takes about 20 mins so that helps but now I'm having more problems from my RA & ankylosing spondylitis than the Crohn's on most days.
After being stubborn & putting it off, I am finally applying for disability :( I hate not working!! :yfrown:

I'm currently an 11th grader and I plan on taking Asian Studies in college. My dream is to become a successful writer! At the moment, I'm a newbie writer and I write on my free time as a hobby. All my family supports this idea, especially my mother because she always told me I have a "gift" for writing. Although my grades aren't the best at the moment, I'm doing my best to fulfill this dream and maybe provide you all a new book in your private libraries, hahah~! :)

I did graphics for NBC/MSNBC & CNBC. I loved my job. Unfortunately I am on permanent disability now. That's one of the biggest things that have crushed me in past 25+ years. Truly loved the job and the people I worked with.

Was doing a PhD in cancer research prior to diagnosis. Deferred for a year and thinking about changing the nature of the PhD from heavy lab work to math modelling (bioinformatics).

Also had a horrible supervisor/boss/ MD (and not a scientist) who just doesn't know what he was doing science-wise..made for a lot of stress!

Currently tinkering around with building science based app games, although I need a good artist coz I just plain suck despite all the time I've got to practice!

I'm 33 and have had corhn's for 17 years. I started out working construction which was a bit hard on me as back then I was very sick. At my worse I was in hospital and weighed 119 lbs. And I'm 6'2 it was scary to see myself then. I switched my jobs and started an apprenticeship for a automotive service mechanic and have been doing that for the last 12 years. I have had a few flare ups along the way, usually a few weeks off work then back I would go. Now I've been off since October 7, ended up with a abdominal wall abscess and a fistula that now was excited out the skin. This is the longest I have been off work in many years. But im hoping this heals as I have had something like this before but internal and it's healed with antibiotics and prednisone. And also going to be starting humira once infection is under control and hopefully back to work. Or I'm even thinking I may start working for myself to reduce the stress and work load on me. All I know is that sitting waiting to heal is one of the most hardest things to do but this time I'm actually going to sit and wait till I'm better instead of rushing like I usually do. I guess this time it was a bit scary to see certain types of vegetables coming out of a hole in my stomach lol

None yet, but I'm going to be a nurse if everything works out. (When my UC doesn't screw with everything, its a different problem. Ugh) However, I might work somewhere in the time being for a book for the course. That or volunteer.

Hello everybody! I am currently in my last semester of grad school (woohoo!) in Rochester, NY for Social Work. As a part of my grad program, I do 20 hours a week in internship with kids K-8 in the Rochester City School District. I love, love, love working with these kids and am so happy that I am making some sort of an impact on them. On top of my schooling, I work full time at Unity Hospital in Rochester, NY as Chemical Dependency Counselor. I work with young men, ages 12-21 who are in long term inpatient rehab! I absolutely love working with these young men!

Construction Worker! and it SUCKS! All year round, rain or shine.. I have to use Porta Pottys on the construction site.. -30 or +30 degrees out lol... Can you imagine?! I am currently looking for a new job tho as the past 5 years have been hell lol..

I'm 33 and have had corhn's for 17 years. I started out working construction which was a bit hard on me as back then I was very sick. At my worse I was in hospital and weighed 119 lbs. And I'm 6'2 it was scary to see myself then. I switched my jobs and started an apprenticeship for a automotive service mechanic and have been doing that for the last 12 years. I have had a few flare ups along the way, usually a few weeks off work then back I would go. Now I've been off since October 7, ended up with a abdominal wall abscess and a fistula that now was excited out the skin. This is the longest I have been off work in many years. But im hoping this heals as I have had something like this before but internal and it's healed with antibiotics and prednisone. And also going to be starting humira once infection is under control and hopefully back to work. Or I'm even thinking I may start working for myself to reduce the stress and work load on me. All I know is that sitting waiting to heal is one of the most hardest things to do but this time I'm actually going to sit and wait till I'm better instead of rushing like I usually do. I guess this time it was a bit scary to see certain types of vegetables coming out of a hole in my stomach lol
Oh man.. I feel your pain matt. Im still in the construction trenches! Looking to do the same actually and maybe start some sort of business i can run from home? Seems like the best option for people like us!

I've been a professional dog groomer for the last 16 years. I used to groom in my mobile van but had an accident whilst grooming a Yorkshire terrier. So decided to get a shop with access to a toilet. I have had my shop for about a year and half now. It's tough working full time grooming dogs. The job is very physical, it's back breaking. Before Xmas I was working 6 days per week and now I'm ill again. I've came home sick today as I'm having a flare, I'm in so much pain. I love dog grooming and have a great business but my body is screaming out for me to stop. Xx

I work for a entertainment booking agency called OtherBrother. I initially auditioned for one of the event bands they booked and made the cut :) After playing in the group for 4 years they offered me a position in the office as an agent. So I book entertainment on the east coast and play in the event band throughout the week as well. Great job and my boss already knows my schedule!

I carry out Health & Safety audits on Holiday Parks all over the UK from Scotland down to the Isle of Wight which obviously means a lot of time driving & sat in a car, I'm recently diagnosed with CD so I am wondering what sort of effect this will have & I think a lot more thought will have to go into when/what I eat & no doubt I'll become very familar with nearly every motorway service station in the UK:lol2:

I'm a Technical Sales Specialist. I sell research supplies to those doing laboratory research. The bulk of my customers are in life science researching proteins. I have a 6 state territory(in the Midwest) and have to travel a lot by plane and car. I try to get hotels with kitchens so I can cook my own food. The minimum the hotel has to have is a fridge and a microwave. I also pack my george foreman grill with me :) I visit a lot of academic labs and run across those researching Crohn's. I talk with one researcher often who is working on Crohn's disease. She knows I have it and I told her how hopeless this disease feels. How I have been curled up in a ball in pain praying that a cure is found. Not sure how much longer I can do this job with the travel and stress. i guess it will all depend on how my upcoming resection surgery goes.

fuzzy butterfly

All jobs take a toll on us . Easy jobs n hard ones are all a drain to our fatigued n weary bodies. Wish you all,all the best n hope for your improved health. Take care 💕

Rad Tech in a small hospital. Usually I do pretty well. Thankfully my drs know me well so they're very lenient and helpful. I take a lot of call however and that's pretty tough to not get a regular night of sleep

I'm a civil engineer for a local county here in South Carolina. I primarily design new, and upgrade existing, stormwater drainage systems.

I used to be a Legal Executive and got a lot of support from work colleagues (worked at the same firm for 17 years) bit of a problem having to rush out of Court when not too well though! Children came along and now I am a full time mum and helping to run the family farm. Great for afternoon naps (which are quite frequent at the moment).