• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Gluten/yeast free pizza base

I recently came across a gluten, yeast, wheat etc free pizza base mix in the local shop. Interesting experience. It sucked up loaaaaads of water and was the consistancy of Playdough, even when cooked. And it was white, which looked totally bizzare! :lol2:
This recipe is adapted from a scone-based pizza recipe and is a lot more palatable.

Ingredients

100g gluten free flour
50g almond flour ( ground almonds )
25 g butter
1 tsp gluten free baking powder
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1/4 tsp salt
oregano
cold water for mixing

Method

1. Sift the gluten free flour with the baking powder, CoT and salt into a bowl. Add the almond flour and mix.
2. Cut the butter into pieces and rub into the flour mixture til it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add a good sprinkling of oregano and mix.
3. Using a knife to mix and form the dough. make a well in the centre of the crumbs, and form a small dough ball in the centre. Adding a little water at a time, roll the ball round the breadcrumb mixture til it has all been incorporated and you have a fairly stiff dough.
4. Knead the dough lightly til smooth then rest in the fridge for about an hour.
5. Preheat the oven to 180C.
6. Gently roll out your pizza base to the desired thickness.
7. Layer with your favourite toppings ( I had tomato, tuna, mushroom, green pepper and cheddar on mine! )
8. Cook for about 15 mins, til the topping looks golden brown.

What type of gluten free flour? I find rice, soy etc changes the taste...that's my hardest part of a gluten free diet...finding the right flour for a recipe...thxs

Are you in the UK? I forget the brand name of the one I buy. Poor really as it's the only one our wee local Co-op sells. I think it might be potato starch based cos it's wheat free too. I'm not at home at the mo - back Thurs and I'll check for you.

K thxs...actually I'm in Canada...there is a bunch of different gluten free mixes for flour, but I find it really hard to use certain ones for certain recipes...alot of them makes the breads or rolls really hard, which irritates the crap (no pun intended!!) outta me!!! I would love to find a great recipe for normal bread & normal soft rolls.(but obviously gluten free)..everyone I've tried makes really hard crusty bread, etc...thxs for any help :)

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
We are lucky here in Canada.. we have gluten free pizza takeout. Pizza Pizza has great ones love them. :thumleft:

We don't have any Pizza Pizza..here in NB, but I had heard one of the pizza places were going to start gluten free pizzas, so here's to hoping!!!!

AA, I take a normal recipe and use half GF flour and half almond flour. The moistness of the ground almonds helps in the binding with other ingredients.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
We don't have any Pizza Pizza..here in NB, but I had heard one of the pizza places were going to start gluten free pizzas, so here's to hoping!!!!
Wow Pizza Pizza is one of the best Pizza's too bad :voodoo: Hope you do get someone to start making them!:dance:

have you tried dove's gluten free bread mix as you make the same as bread but bake it very thin. not sure what it is like but I am going to try it very soon as I have some white bread mix left and i dont like it as bread so i will make a pizza base instead. I'm from the UK.
Dee

this is a recipe I saw for pizza crust on a scd recipe website. Gonna try it out but i'm not sure about almond flour!!
CRUST
1/2 cup almond flour
1 egg
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt

I couldnt use that recipe because of the almond flour. the dove flour mix is nut free. I have a tree nut allergy but I am fine with peanuts.
Dee
PS: I will ask at the next coeliac meeting if they have a good recipe for the pizza base.