• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Itching like a mad man

nogutsnoglory

I don't think this is related to the crohns but I always have major itchiness which is mostly handled by my allergy meds. Past few days my ear lobes and face are making me nuts. I take my antihistamine, tried hydrocortisone and witch hazel, lotions but I'm red from all the scratching. What the heck is this?

I don't think this is related to the crohns but I always have major itchiness which is mostly handled by my allergy meds. Past few days my ear lobes and face are making me nuts. I take my antihistamine, tried hydrocortisone and witch hazel, lotions but I'm red from all the scratching. What the heck is this?

Probably atopic dermatitis/eczema. Quite common as we enter winter. Try some aquaphor a couple of times a day or eucerin cream. Also most soaps are very drying. Dove makes a liquid sensative skin soap which is quite good.

Kev

Any recent change in meds, diet, etc..??? Any sign of a rash??? Antihistamine and hydrocortisone should alleviate most allergy type reactions... but might also mask some.

Nothing has changed so I don't really get it.
November, recent cold. Heaters on everywhere. Very dry air. Dries out skin very easily. scratching weakens the skin barrier making it more dry and more irritated and keeps the cycle going. Though the immune system is technically involved with eczema, it really is just a localized reaction especially if on the face and ear lobes- common spots for atopy. Has nothing to do with crohns. Thousands of people with perfect GI systems have it. Dove sensitive skin soap, eucerin cream or aquaphor twice a day, humidifier for the bedroom. Most cases don't need antihistamines or potent steroid creams.

BTW, in addition to giving MD advice, I'm also giving personal experience advice on this one. My forehead (which for some reason keeps growing over the past few years due to deforestation :) ) peels and itches like hell this time of year. The stuff mentioned above helps a lot.

Tesscorm

Staff member
Be aware of new soaps (face, shampoo, laundry) or a new formulation of the brand you usually use. Even away from home, ie if you shower at the gym, etc.

Also, are you under any stress? My daughter becomes very itchy if she is under stress (ie exams) and will literally be red from the scratching! Sometimes there is a mild rash but, mostly, no rash associated with it. It goes away once the stress subsides. She mentioned it to her doctor once and her doctor's 'layman' explanation was that it was similar to an allergic reaction to the stress.

:ghug:

Do you have any chronic pain syndrome? I know that those, i.e. Fibromyalgia, CPS, RSD, can cause itchiness as a symptom...just a suggestion.

nogutsnoglory

I have fibro and me/cfs but my regular itching only started after humira. By regular I mean it drives me nuts but this was a more acute episode that made it worse. Prob weather on top of existing issue

my little penguin

Staff member
Ds has atopic dermitis but his is more severe -ear lobes face scalp plus dyshirotic ezcema on the palms fingers and toes .
Dermo basically said if your prone to skin conditions humira/remicade will bring them to the surface. Not cause them per say .
Creams work well -as does wet wraps
Shower/bath /cream/cover wet wash cloths or socks etc...

Cerave creme works best for him
During flares mild steriod on the face and strong on the toes/hands
One week on one week off

I know a lot of ezcema kids have a lot of good luck with vanicream
It might or might not be the cold
Ds soaks his hands in parafin wax for 15 min x2 day so not a dry skin issue
For Ds it's meds when they increase the biologic his skin gets worse but all else is good.

Hope it gets better

Itching after a Humira dosage is a side affect that needs to be reported into the doctor if it is not going away in a timely fashion.