• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What's the definition of crohns

This may seem like a funny question (and one I want to review with my son's doctor) but I'm still a little fuzzy on what the exact definition and diagnosis of crohns is.

My son had a colonoscopy last spring and, as I understand it, the crohns diagnosis was a combination of a review of his symptoms, a visual of portions of his small intestine and colon, and biopsy of tissue samples. Though my recollection is that it is still sort of a judgement call.

I'd appreciate hearing what people think.

Thanks.

http://www.medicalcriteria.com/criteria/gas_crohn.htm

Criteria for Definite Diagnosis of Crohn's Disease

A. One of the following three conditions should be present:

1. Intestinal longitudinal ulcer or deformity induced by a longitudinal ulcer or cobblestone pattern

2. Intestinal small aphthous ulcerations arranged in a longitudinal fashion for at least three months, plus noncaseating granulomas

3. Multiple small aphthous ulcerations in both the upper and lower digestive tract, not necessarily with longitudinal arrangement, for at least three months, plus noncaseating granulomas

B. The following diseases should be excluded:

1. Ulcerative colitis

2. Ischemic enterocolitis

3. Acute infectious enterocolitis

butt-eze

Superstar
In addition to the criteria I would say the clincher for me was the blood test that predicted I have crohn's. That has always been a big factor for me. I wasn't offered this test during my initial diagnosis in 2005.

Colt said:
What blood test?
Right, what blood test? Was it specific markers?

The things I'm aware of include a high white cell count indicates inflammation - somewhere in your body - not necessarily in the digestive tract.

Also, the blood test can indicate anemia.

I've seen some posters here on the forum speak of the Prometheus test for actual diagnosis purposes, but wondered about that. Now I've had this test myself for Thiopurine stuff several times, but perhaps some of the other tests they do are for some sort of markers? I don't know....

butt-eze

Superstar
Benson is right. I was referring to the prometheus lab test. It tests for whether you have the markers for IBD and then branches off to specify whether your IBD is colitis or Crohn's. Mine came back saying IBD predicted.

Although some people have posted that their prometheus lab has come back negative despite a doctor diagnosing crohn's.

I have had 3 colonoscopies that show crohn's. I have another mid June.

I'm curious about the Prometheus lab test. Does it look for markers in your DNA? If not, what exists in your blood that could indicate Crohns? A while ago, my GI mentioned the test, but I was told I would have to pay out of pocket for it, something like $400. I was about to pay that much money, when all of my CTs and scopes were very typical of Crohns.

-Greg

Kev

Mine were inconclusive in that they indicated IBD, but couldn't determine if I have Crohns, or Ulcerative, or both. I apparenty don't present as typical of one or the other, and I have symptomology common to both. Being absolutely certain which one or the other, or both, really only come into play if surgery is touted as a potential 'cure'. It might be for just UC, or CC, but not for CD..