• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Safe appetite stimulants

safe appetite stimulants

ok so my weight is going down....0 appetite...im getting pretty worried as ive tried some heavy duty drugs and still gotten no results.....i fear nothing will work

zofran hasn't reliced any nausea even at 8mg a day and that's a high dose right? and still have 0 appetite

10,000 mcg of sublingual methyl b12 hasnt done crap

and thats all ive tried. i dont want to take any steroids....are there any drugs u thin i should ask my gastro about where the benefits outweigh the risks?

i ma weightlifter and it is hard seeing my muscles shrink

0 replies..i guess ill die of malnourihment
Oh don't be so dramatic. It takes more than 24 hours to get a reply on this forum sometimes. The people who post here are human just like you.

My first thought was marijuana as well, if you can get it through legal channels that is probably ideal. It will help with the nausea and the desire to eat. Prednisone increases appetite in a lot of people, but I would hardly call that "safe," especially if you don't need it.

You may have to deal with eating even though you don't feel like it. Maybe try making what you do eat count - try some high calorie proteins or something.

Do you have IBD? What are you taking to treat that specifically? What "heavy duty drugs" have you tried?

im not taking marijuana and there's no way id even get it
im undiagnosed dispite colonoscopies/upper gis...mris..blood work...i was thinking of trying pill cam but itd prob be a waste.
i described what other drugs ive tried in my op

Do you eat solid food when you eat? If so, what happens? Have you tried liquid nutrition like Ensure? Sometimes that can be easier to tolerate. What are your symptoms other than the nausea?

If I am reading this right, you have been tried on Zofran and methyl b12?

yes, zofran and methyl b12 like it says in the op not sure why u are having trouble reading it(not tying to sound rude just askin)
i buy ensure plus or boost plus everyday, but sometimes dont even feel like drinking it
i can eat solid food sometimes but i usually have to wait the whole day before i even have a slight bit of appetite...once i eat several different things can happen..
my nausea will go away and i can have a meal later on..or my nausea will worsen.

Do you take the B12 for nausea or for a vitamin deficiency?

Is nausea your only symptom? No pain, "D," vomiting, or anything of that nature? Does your GI suspect that you have IBD? If you don't have anything that indicates you have inflammation, I don't think steroids would be indicated. Has your GI told you what he thinks is causing the nausea?

I asked for clarification because you said you had been on "heavy duty" drugs and while Zofran is quite expensive, I wouldn't personally consider that and B12 heavy duty. You still have a lot of options! Phenergan is considered the cheaper version of Zofran, but it might be worth trying just to see if it works different/better for you. Another drug they can prescribe is Reglan, which will be especially helpful I think if you have slowed gastric emptying. Also you might try over the counter anti-nausea meds like dramamine.

From here:

Common medications used to control nausea and vomiting include promethazine (Phenergan), prochlorperazine (Compazine), droperidol (Inapsine) metoclopramide (Reglan), and ondansetron (Zofran). The decision as to which medication to use will depend on the specific situation.
Hopefully somebody else will be able to ring in here who has had nausea. Unfortunately when I had nausea induced by being on Flagyl I tried several different drugs and they were all only able to take the edge off. I hope you find something that works for you and you get back to eating regularly. Good luck.

You could try peppermint or ginger tea, or digestive bitters.
You need to find out why you have nausea. If you have developed a partial obstruction then that really needs trreatment with some proper ibd mediications.

Garlic has been known to stimulate appetite pretty well, but first you need to do something about the nausea. Have you tried drinking full fat coke? It's full of phosphoric acid which is often taken as an anti-emetic. For medicinal purposes it's probably better to drink it flat, but it's up to you really :)

I know one that will make you very very hungry. Ask ur doctor for mirtazapin.
It is an antidepressants with side effect that you can not stop eating. Many people can't take it because they gain too much weight.

Periactin? the generic name is Cyproheptadine, which is basically an antihistamine like Benedryl. It may make you a bit sleepy so many doctors recommend taking it before going to bed

I suffer from a great loss of appetite and weight loss. The only thing I have thought of is buying a dairy free soy protein powder that I mix with almond milk or coconut milk and add a banana, it tastes great, it's liquid so it shouldn't aggravate inflamtion and although I may not be hungry it's better than not eating. Also I find veg that does aggravate me and I juice that too and mix it with a banana or something non acidic to get my nutrients and vitamins with out eating whole foods. Still not great but better than nothing.

Periactin? the generic name is Cyproheptadine, which is basically an antihistamine like Benedryl. It may make you a bit sleepy so many doctors recommend taking it before going to bed
Thanks, I will try Periactin and post the result here!