• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Yoga for Ulcerative Colitis

I was live in NYC and I was recently introduced to a relaxing form of yoga. My instructor, Shira Turkl-Rubin, who I found online! is wonderful. I've been so fortunate to find an instructor who she herself has UC and understands what I'm going through. I've had a flare for about 2.5 years now and I'm just sick of it. Once I found Shira, she taught me specific exercises that I can do to help my situation, it wasn't only exercises but breathing exercises too! It was my first time trying this and I found it to be really really helpful. I highly recommend Shira and want to mention that she also created a program that I just recently finished. Check her out and tell her I sent you! Sara R. - She'll know me :)
Her program is The Fix Your Belly Blues Program and you can just google her or the program to find her info, or reply to this post!
Sara

Yoga is great to mix in with any workout. I do yoga for stretching as in downard dog and cobra and a few others. I suggest you do Yoga before and after a hard workout.

I have been screaming on this forum for so long that Yoga and ayurveda can actually help cure the desease both UC and crohns...but not all forms of yoga..there is a different wing of the ashtanga yoga that does it.I am doing it and am really hopeful. Ok..Now you may shout back at me for using the word 'cure' :ytongue:

I have been screaming on this forum for so long that Yoga and ayurveda can actually help cure the desease both UC and crohns...but not all forms of yoga..there is a different wing of the ashtanga yoga that does it.I am doing it and am really hopeful. Ok..Now you may shout back at me for using the word 'cure' :ytongue:
I will have to look more into it that specific yoga. I would like to thank India for inventing it.

I will have to look more into it that specific yoga. I would like to thank India for inventing it.
try searching for kapalbhati pranayam..thats specifically for UC..and I assume since it has cured UC , it wil be equally affective for crohns.

I will second that yoga is a good help to people with UC, mostly as a stress reliever, but good for overall health and well-being.

Karen
Mother of college son with UC

try searching for kapalbhati pranayam..thats specifically for UC..and I assume since it has cured UC , it wil be equally affective for crohns.
Kapalbhati generally should NOT be done in UC/Crohns. The heat generated in the lower kundalis will start your bleeding. Unless your IBD is ulcer free, Kapalbhati is not recommended.

Try Anulom-Vilom instead. Although Kaplabhati is the moneyball breathing yoga than has cured/reversed may of their diseases in India.

I do Transcendental Medititation which is a form of Yoga,it is wonderful and helped me so much,I am starting a regular class of yoga next week.

rygon

Have you got any data to back this up, as I was under the impression, that for the time being, Crohns and UC cannot be cured (although things may be done to help go into remission)

Have you got any data to back this up, as I was under the impression, that for the time being, Crohns and UC cannot be cured (although things may be done to help go into remission)
No. No data.not on the web atleast.

Kapalbhati generally should NOT be done in UC/Crohns. The heat generated in the lower kundalis will start your bleeding. Unless your IBD is ulcer free, Kapalbhati is not recommended.

Try Anulom-Vilom instead. Although Kaplabhati is the moneyball breathing yoga than has cured/reversed may of their diseases in India.
Partly true. people with ulcer should do it slowly....it will also cure the ulcers in your colon.

I started doing some pilates and yoga exercices with my trainer a month ago because I was complaining of increasing joint pains. It helps quite a bit!

There is no cure for UC except surgery.

David

Co-Founder
Sid, I totally understand your passion about yoga as I practice it myself. Could you please refrain from claiming that yoga DOES or WILL cure any form of IBD? If you want to say that, "In MY OPINION yoga may be able to cure..." that is fine. But presenting it as fact when there isn't any scientific evidence to back it up goes against how we try to present data and arguments on this forum.

Thank you so much! :)

I love yoga. And I don't just go to yoga classes, I teach it, I've been practicing it for 10++ years, I am devoted to it, I am a yogi. I do 2 hrs of yoga 5 days per week. The thing is that I was doing this even before even being diagnosed with CD. So I can't say it cures it, or CD would never have appeared in my life. It's a huge help, maybe that's why my disease is relatively mild, but its not a cure.

yogamag.net/archives/1981/fjune81/treat.shtml

Dear friends,the above yoga may help some of you.google for specific asanas or try you tube and look for videos by Baba Ramdev.Not interested in any type of arguements on the effectiveness of the above.As they say - ur belief will help u-only and only u can help urself.All the best.

Ohh Yeah Doctors - For people from Kerala,India; PVS Hospital Cochin is excellent.Dr.Mathew Philip heads the Gastro but Ramesh Doc is good as well.I heard that the Doc at Lakeshore Hospital is good too but some people were complaining about him not happy with ur questions.At PVS,Endoscopy Suite rooms are well equipped.The Hospital is A/C and the new building is not yet completed but one of the best Hospitals in Kerala as of now.Waiting for the doc is such a pain but if u have more Bling(500Rs per visit), u may visit the doc at his house early morning-starts at 5.30 AM..lol.Last - Buy ur medicines only from reputed stores-hell lot of replicas out there.....

I will be taking a look at yoga for sure. I am also looking for some good
Meditation techniques for pain if anyone has some to share.

This forum is addictive and I love it!
BK

As someone who is very into fitness but also currently suffering from a sever UC flare, I cannot express how grateful I am to have found this thread! I prefer running and interval training, but that's not really an option right now, so I'll be looking into this ASAP. Thanks!

Try soaking pomegranate seeds of one fruit with a tablespoon of olive oil at night and have it first thing in the morning.Eat walnuts daily.Try to have Dinner by 6 pm (no arguments here pls) and thereafter only fruits.What works for me may not work for u.All the best.

WOW okay so this is very funny, but I was looking through this thread and recognized the name Shira and yoga connection. I looked her up and believe it or not, but Shira was my camp counselor this past summer at the CCFA Camp Oasis!!!! I remember doing yoga every night before bed, she really is great, I'm so glad you found her!

Started to reply before I realised this is an old thread. I really enjoy yoga. Thanks for the info though OP, I've googled her and looking forward to taking a look through her website.