• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Fibrin Glue for Fistula

Hello Everyone. I am calling out to all of those who have had fistulas before. Have any of you tried the Fibrin Glue method? How did it work for you? I am not sure if my fistula is simple or complex but I am trying to avoid another surgery/recovery. I have taken enough days off this year and hoping I can jump back to my normal routine ASAP.

I would really appreciate your inputs.

Hello Everyone. I am calling out to all of those who have had fistulas before. Have any of you tried the Fibrin Glue method? How did it work for you? I am not sure if my fistula is simple or complex but I am trying to avoid another surgery/recovery. I have taken enough days off this year and hoping I can jump back to my normal routine ASAP.

I would really appreciate your inputs.
Hi Kancer

I haven't tried it in afraid, but I'd be interested to read what people think. Is it similar to the plug and paste methods?

I know the feeling of not wanting anymore time off!

Hi Sorebutt, I was talking to my surgeon the other day. I was given many options and as I have been having some leaking from my anus (Disgusting I know) through-out the year, he thinks I already suffer incontinence to a certain degree and suggests fibrin glue.

From his explanation, I believe its just like super-flue... except of course made of protein. I did some research online but can't find out enough information. :(

I will share my experience: I went private and insisted on a fibrin glue procedure. We did two surgeries: one to insert a draining seton (this was the hard part - uncomfertable and painful if your job involves sitting on a chair all day) and a second to insert the fibrin glue. It healed up completely, but 10 years later the fistula re-opened. I then had a regular fistulectomy, and that healed up too. Have a look at my post history for a post-op routine that I think helped.