• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Embarrassing start to Crohn's...be warned, explicit details inside

So...I have searched the internet far and wide and have yet to encounter anything similar to my story the past few months, and I'm curious if anyone else has heard ANYTHING remotely like this.

A few months ago...I used an anal sex toy. Figured I'd just start this story right away with the embarrassing detail. It's something I've done before, but this was a new...slightly longer one. After I was done I felt...slightly off. I started panicking, concerned I had ruptured something inside, but none of the tell tale signs of a rupture developed and there was no blood, so I calmed myself....

...for all of 24 hours, when I noticed that I could not go to the bathroom. I was a regular once, sometimes twice a day person, and while I'd have my bouts with loose stools here and there, it always seem tied to what I had eaten and would pass. Constipation was new to me. After three days of quite obviously not passing anything close to what I was taking in, I was really panicking. Tried stool softeners, enemas, stimulants, everything.

Finally I went to urgent care, which scheduled a CT scan. Thickening of the terminal ileum was discovered, and I was placed on a week's worth of antibiotics. My condition was a little bit better, but not much...I was starting to get bloating and mild but annoying pain on the left side of my lower abdomen. I finally went to a GI. After a colonoscopy, I was diagnosed with a mild form of Crohn's, and placed on Pentasa. The bloating has subsided greatly with medication and a good probiotic, but just the other day I found a food that seemed to bring it back, along with some diarrhea, with a vengeance.

Of course...I told none of my doctors about the cause of this, but it was quite clearly directly related. I am utterly mortified at the idea that I did something to "give myself" or "activate" Crohn's, and I'm still in some pretty solid denial that this is something I'm going to be dealing with for the rest of my life. I'm over 30, so my understanding is this is pretty late for someone to get slapped with this. Does anyone have any thoughts as to anything else this could be? And please...no judgement as to what I did to cause it....I assure you it's not needed at the moment.

If you had thickening of the ileum it's probably been happening for some time; years possibly.

Maybe your adventures made some symptoms worse but I can't see how it could possibly have caused the disease.

Trysha

Staff member
You have probably had crohns for some time with that amount of thickening
It's possible since the crohns may have been silently mild and it's good you now have it under control
Nothing to do with your adventures...forget that.
Trysha

Your terminal allium is up pretty high. So you can rule out that you could have done something to yourself. Possibly the stress?

All sorts of people get diagnosed with CD. At all sorts of ages. I was 28. Pretty late I was told. Although I am very aware of what my body feels, so I probably would have been diagnosed earlier but, I put myself on a lot of liquid diets.

I am glad your GI is helping you.

Good Luck

lauren

Thanks guys...if anything else I just had to talk about it for the first time to vent. I actually tried telling my GI over the phone when he called for the colonoscopy results, a conversation that I think would have been hilarious to an outside viewer. I start saying "Doc, I gotta be honest with you, I'm somewhat uncomfortable talking about this, but I suppose you need all the info so...this was precipitated by a sex toy"

"What?"

"This was precipitated by a sex toy."

"I'm sorry, what?"

"This was precipitated by a sex toy. A sex toy."

"I'm sorry, I think your phone is breaking up, I can't understand you"

"Nevermind."

Hah...I feel like he must have been like "no...there's no way he said that, must be phone trouble making it sound weird."

Scipio

The length of bowel from the ileum to the anus is about 5 feet. I doubt that most objects inserted in the rectum could have any effect on the ileum. Indeed GIs performing colonoscopies sometimed have a hard time getting the probe all the way up to the ileal region - and that's using a tool designed for the purpose.

I think the Crohn's was there before, and you have fortunately become aware of it as an incidental finding while investigating another problem.

This was nothing you did. Like the other poster said, it was happening on it's own for some time. The terminal ileum would not become thickened overnight. This happens with long standing inflammation. So do not blame yourself, it had nothing to do with what is happening right now.

So...I have searched the internet far and wide and have yet to encounter anything similar to my story the past few months, and I'm curious if anyone else has heard ANYTHING remotely like this.

A few months ago...I used an anal sex toy. Figured I'd just start this story right away with the embarrassing detail. It's something I've done before, but this was a new...slightly longer one. After I was done I felt...slightly off. I started panicking, concerned I had ruptured something inside, but none of the tell tale signs of a rupture developed and there was no blood, so I calmed myself....

...for all of 24 hours, when I noticed that I could not go to the bathroom. I was a regular once, sometimes twice a day person, and while I'd have my bouts with loose stools here and there, it always seem tied to what I had eaten and would pass. Constipation was new to me. After three days of quite obviously not passing anything close to what I was taking in, I was really panicking. Tried stool softeners, enemas, stimulants, everything.

Finally I went to urgent care, which scheduled a CT scan. Thickening of the terminal ileum was discovered, and I was placed on a week's worth of antibiotics. My condition was a little bit better, but not much...I was starting to get bloating and mild but annoying pain on the left side of my lower abdomen. I finally went to a GI. After a colonoscopy, I was diagnosed with a mild form of Crohn's, and placed on Pentasa. The bloating has subsided greatly with medication and a good probiotic, but just the other day I found a food that seemed to bring it back, along with some diarrhea, with a vengeance.

Of course...I told none of my doctors about the cause of this, but it was quite clearly directly related. I am utterly mortified at the idea that I did something to "give myself" or "activate" Crohn's, and I'm still in some pretty solid denial that this is something I'm going to be dealing with for the rest of my life. I'm over 30, so my understanding is this is pretty late for someone to get slapped with this. Does anyone have any thoughts as to anything else this could be? And please...no judgement as to what I did to cause it....I assure you it's not needed at the moment.

well im 44 n my family dr did a bloodwork up n i got a phone call yesturday tellin me that my blood says i have crohns so i have to go see a G.I dr sometime next month to find out 100% that i have it ... so im with them it can hit at any age . n yeah i agree ẃith them it dont häppen overnite so dont let that bother ya

Welcome, GinaKay. I am glad you found this place but not happy you have thus disease. Let us know how your doctor's appointment goes

I was diagnosed at age 53 but had chronic diarrhea for over 30 years. I even asked my doctor once if i had Crohn's. His response, "You are way too healthy to have Crohn's. Crohn's patients don't run marathons, participate in triathlons, etc. Crohn's patients have pain and suffer from chronic fatigue." Oops.

As others have said, thickening takes time and was not caused by your adventures.

Enjoyed your post. Absolutely no judgement from me.

Wow, so scary! I cannot tell you how many doctor's just fluff people off. I also have been told I cannot be so sick because I look healthy!! Ummm, yeah, my mom when she diagnosed with terminal 4th stage cancer she also looked great!! Doctor's can be so ignorant. I have quite a few health issues so have had the experience with having to search for good doctors and many different opinions. Funny how when you are faced with a chronic illness( or illnesses) you learn really quick that "really good" doctors are far and few between as sad as that is.

I was diagnosed at age 53 but had chronic diarrhea for over 30 years. I even asked my doctor once if i had Crohn's. His response, "You are way too healthy to have Crohn's. Crohn's patients don't run marathons, participate in triathlons, etc. Crohn's patients have pain and suffer from chronic fatigue." Oops.

As others have said, thickening takes time and was not caused by your adventures.

Enjoyed your post. Absolutely no judgement from me.