• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Concerned about my drug response/or the lack there of.

I just had my second dose last friday. After the first loading dose(a friday) i started to feel somewhat good by sunday, very good monday, and pretty great on tuesday. I was very excited till wed. and started to fell progressively worse till this last tx. i figured that's prob normal as my body adjusts. my concern is that after my second dose i have had no positive response at all and if i didn't have those few days after the first set i prob wouldn't even think it was an issue. i feel like it should have done a little something since i had a positive response in the first place. it doesn't make sense there wouldn't be a similar response that is a bit better even.
wondering if others have had an initial good response after there first round but then began to flare again and the second round hadn't helped but eventually it all worked out. side note(entocort seems like its doing nothing to help me feel better anymore. i have been on it forever, since may 1st. need to get off it cause i have been waking up @3-4am since the end of june.)

afidz

Super Moderator
Hello
Humira takes a little while to build up in your system, so just give it a little bit of time. Its great that you had a few good days though, I am sure it was a nice break from the everyday usual.
Are you on anything else in conjunction with Humira? You could talk to your doctor about giving you something that works a little faster to take in the mean time while the Humira builds up

I totally get that it takes time for it to build up. but i would still expect to have some positive reaction since i had an initial positive reaction. vs. having no reaction after the initial dose then i wouldn't have expected to have any yet.
when i started remicade(in '04) it took about 8 months to notice a difference but the progression was steadily in the right direction. I didn't feel a little better then regress.

just a bit frustrated.
also on entocort & lialda.

had you had a regression in the way you were feeling as it began to work? think that's what i find concerning.
thanks.

afidz

Super Moderator
my experience with Humira is not very common with what I gathered. I was in a very bad flare in Sept 2009, not on any meds. The flare actually almost killed me. I was in the hospital for 5 weeks. I went on humira at the beginning of October and was in remission by the end of the month. My doctor doesn't really know how it turned around so quick. I stayed on it until 2010 and stayed in remission until last February. I will be going on Humira again eventually when it is safe for me to do so.

my experience with Humira is not very common with what I gathered. I was in a very bad flare in Sept 2009, not on any meds. The flare actually almost killed me. I was in the hospital for 5 weeks. I went on humira at the beginning of October and was in remission by the end of the month. My doctor doesn't really know how it turned around so quick. I stayed on it until 2010 and stayed in remission until last February. I will be going on Humira again eventually when it is safe for me to do so.
Sure hope it works for you again !!!:)

I totally get that it takes time for it to build up. but i would still expect to have some positive reaction since i had an initial positive reaction. vs. having no reaction after the initial dose then i wouldn't have expected to have any yet.
when i started remicade(in '04) it took about 8 months to notice a difference but the progression was steadily in the right direction. I didn't feel a little better then regress.

just a bit frustrated.

had you had a regression in the way you were feeling as it began to work? think that's what i find concerning.
thanks.
Could just be a coincidence that you felt better right away. A placebo affect maybe. Give it some more time. Most people on here have great success with it. Good luck and blessings!!!:)

just a bit frustrated.

thanks.
The same thing happened to me. After the first 4 pens, I noticed an improvement for about a week but then got a bit worse again. I've been on it for nearly 6 months. I would say at around the 3 month mark was when I felt that it was working well. It takes time and patience and from posts that I have been reading over the last six months, this is what happens for most people. Hang in there!