• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Question about Boil/abscess, help?!

Hi everyone,

I have been a member on here for a few years now. I have GI issues but have not been diagnosed with IBD as of yet. I had lots of tests over the last three years which did not come up with anything. I however have had some questionable blood work( elevated C-reactive protein level and a somewhat raised fecal Calprotectin level). My GI doc and my Primary care doc were not overly concerned with the elevated Calprotectin level. The C-reactive protein was elevated ( I believe normal was 0-50 and mine was 150. My doctor redid it a month later and it was back to normal so she was not worried about it. I will be quite honest, I am fed up with doctors. As some of you already know from my previous posts, I have other health issues ( Interstitial Cystitis of the bladder, Chronic Fatigue, Fibro, Gut issues which my GI and my primary think is IBS!) I do not think it is just IBS though.

Okay so to my current issue, a few weeks ago I noticed when I was in the shower that I had this small hard bump in the vulva area. It is to the right of my vaginal opening a little lower maybe. It did not bother me at all, no pain and it was small. I figured it was an ingrown hair or something. It was like that for weeks it seemed. Then three days ago I woke up and noticed it was larger. I was in the shower and felt down there and noticed it has swelled quite a bit. It was like the size of a dime( maybe a llittle smaller on top when looking at it, but when I felt it I could tell it was bigger underneath like the size of a grape and it felt harder underneath. It moves under the skin when i push around on it. Anyhow, I started putting a very warm to hot compresses on it 4 times a day( I soak a clean wash cloth and apply it to the area). I noticed after doing that for a day there was a tiny little white head that started leaking a little whitish to yellow as well as clear oily fluid). I tried squeezing it gently but not much was coming out. Well I have been doing this for two days now and it is still not draining. I am guessing it is an infected hair follicle or ingrown hair that has turned into a boil or possible abscess. It is sore when I touch it and it is in a very bad place being right down there next to my vagina.It is soft on top but like a hard ball underneath when I grab around it. I have been putting that triple antibiotic ointment on it. I also just bought this stuff called Ichthammol ointment, I searched it online and many people were saying it helps with Boils and abscesses.

I also was reading all the horror stories about how boils will spread all over as they are super infectious so when the liquid leaks out that fluid will go and get on healthy areas and cause more boils/abscesses to grow!!! Is that true? I mean there is no way I can prevent this from happening then. Worse is my period is due tomorrow so that will be making things super messy down there ( sorry if this is TMI) and I am sure stuff will be flowing all over down there( I know you ladies on here know what I mean).

I am trying to resolve this on my own. I am hoping not to have to go get it lanced as it is in a very sensitive area. Does anyone here know of any ideas on how to get it to drain on it's own? I am doing the hot compresses already. So far all I got is a pin head of a white head that only will leak out minimally and only after I do the compress, then it stops.I also am going to try that Ichthammol Ointment before I go to bed. It says to put on a gauze or bandage and place on area. Not sure if that is even possible due to where mine is located so I will just spread some on the area. Also, how do I prevent it from spreading as I do not want a bunch of abscesses/boils all over down there. Any suggestions are appreciated.

I had a boil in a rather sensitive area about 20 years ago. This got rather like a golf ball buried under my skin and any attempts at bathing it or interfering in any way just seemed to make it worse. It got to the point where I couldn't sit down.
I recommend having it lanced by a doctor. Although it is very painful at the time, the pain of the procedure lasts a second or two, but the relief is INSTANT. It also helps that the doc can get all the nastiness out and prescribe the right drugs or ointment.
Best of luck with whatever you do.

I have developed Hidradenitis Sup. Sounds like this.

I'm sorry, no good news with this one. I try to do Epsom salt sitz, or regular, bath daily. That helps, especially when it heads and drains..

I cannot stress enough. DO NOT SQUEEZE.

my little penguin

Staff member
You need to see your gyn
They can access what it is while its small before it gets larger or spreads
Please call your doctor

Agent X20: Thank you for the reply. Yeah, if it does not do something( rupture on it's own soon) I will likely make an appt with the dermatologist. I have to wait now though until after my menstrual cycle. No way do I want someone cutting on me down there when I will be bleeding all over the area. Do you think they will lance it without the need for oral antibiotics? I honestly do NOT want to take antibiotics. Well, not that I dont want them, but my body will not tolerate them at all. I am allergic to most of them or I get severe adverse reactions that cannot be prevented with antihistamines. I am hoping if it comes to getting it lanced the doctor will agree to just an antibacterial ointment then. Praying the thing ruptures on it's own!

mish2575: Yes, I read about that Hidradentis Sup. I think with that illness you get cluters of boils right? I have had one bump before this about 2 years ago near my anal area, but it was not as bad. That one was like a hard little lump under the skin. It never came to a head really and just went away on it's own after awhile. This one started as a hard lump under the skin and was little and there for like weeks. Then out of nowhere three days ago it just got bigger and now it does have fluid behind it.I would say it is the size of a grape. It did seep a little after I put the hot compress on it, and I gently squeezed it and only a small amount of fluid came out though. Then it stopped. I was not about to force it out! I hope this will not be an ongoing thing and hope it starts draining naturally. I tried that Ithchammol ointment on it last night before bed. No change in it yet. Sadly I cannot put a bandage or cover on this area it would be impossible. That ointment is supposed to draw out the infection and or fluids.

my little penguin: I am going to see the dermatologist if it wont start draining on it's own. My period is due today so I am trying to wait until that ends before I have anyone cut down there. Thanks.

It was a long time ago, but I'm pretty certain I didn't have oral antibiotics, just a topical cream, maybe a hydrocortisone cream or something like that. Obviously lots of showers and meticulous hygiene... also a whole new line in really big underwear.
I was hoping it might pop on its own, but it just got too painful.

I hope my period hurries up and gets here so it can leave and if this thing has not ruptured then I can go to the dermatologist and have it taken care of. I am afraid to have anyone cut on it while I am going to be bleeding, it just seems risky in terms of infection risk. I can only use the sanitary pads, I cannot tolerate tampons because I have Interstitial Cystitis and it would cause me to much pain to use them. Lol, I already use bigger undies now! I find them way more comfortable. I know this may sound crazy, but when I am at home and not on my period, I usually go without undies! It feels so much better for me.

It was a long time ago, but I'm pretty certain I didn't have oral antibiotics, just a topical cream, maybe a hydrocortisone cream or something like that. Obviously lots of showers and meticulous hygiene... also a whole new line in really big underwear.
I was hoping it might pop on its own, but it just got too painful.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Ichthammol can be very good for pulling abscesses etc out, I keep a tub of it on hand for my horses lol.....

I had something similar a few years ago, but mine was more in the crease/thigh juncture...which made it pretty annoying as my underwear rubbed on it. Once it ruptured, I had some liquid, but more heavy/thick pus that I had to push out, pretty gross.....that is what you may be feeling- the pus might have"set up" and become hard.....

Hope it either drains, or your period hurries up!!!

Agent X20: Thank you for the reply. Yeah, if it does not do something( rupture on it's own soon) I will likely make an appt with the dermatologist. I have to wait now though until after my menstrual cycle. No way do I want someone cutting on me down there when I will be bleeding all over the area. Do you think they will lance it without the need for oral antibiotics? I honestly do NOT want to take antibiotics. Well, not that I dont want them, but my body will not tolerate them at all. I am allergic to most of them or I get severe adverse reactions that cannot be prevented with antihistamines. I am hoping if it comes to getting it lanced the doctor will agree to just an antibacterial ointment then. Praying the thing ruptures on it's own!

mish2575: Yes, I read about that Hidradentis Sup. I think with that illness you get cluters of boils right? I have had one bump before this about 2 years ago near my anal area, but it was not as bad. That one was like a hard little lump under the skin. It never came to a head really and just went away on it's own after awhile. This one started as a hard lump under the skin and was little and there for like weeks. Then out of nowhere three days ago it just got bigger and now it does have fluid behind it.I would say it is the size of a grape. It did seep a little after I put the hot compress on it, and I gently squeezed it and only a small amount of fluid came out though. Then it stopped. I was not about to force it out! I hope this will not be an ongoing thing and hope it starts draining naturally. I tried that Ithchammol ointment on it last night before bed. No change in it yet. Sadly I cannot put a bandage or cover on this area it would be impossible. That ointment is supposed to draw out the infection and or fluids.

my little penguin: I am going to see the dermatologist if it wont start draining on it's own. My period is due today so I am trying to wait until that ends before I have anyone cut down there. Thanks.
Maybe it's a single boil. Either way I would give same advice. Don't SQUEEZE and soak in salt water. Good luck

Thanks Lisa and Mish2575! Ugh, well it is just leaking little drips right now. My period has just started, ugh. Not sure how to keep things clean down there with the bleeding. I put on the Itchammol ointment on it today. I just put a dab on a tiny piece of gauze and stuck it to the boil. It has stayed on so far so that is good, but now that my period is starting, pretty sure the gauze will not even stick to the boil.

Oh one last question, do I have to worry about getting more boils if the stuff leaking out gets on other areas down there? I mean there is no way I can stop it from leaking out and if it is infectious in nature I am scared it will spread and I will end up with lots of boils! My anal area and vaginal area always gets irritated when I get my period for some reason( I think the blood irritates me) and I am worried with this boil leaking out stuff it will cause other ones. :(

I'm not sure if the puss causes more outbreaks. I don't believe so, just causes irritation on the skin.

For ones i cannot gauze i use pantyliners and Bactine antiseptic spray.

Yeah, where my abscess was located, it was impossible to keep any kind of gauze or pad there. I mean I would have to wear a pad like when I have my period, but nothing would stay on the spot where it was located( it was on the right labia kind between the anus and the vagina but to the side closer to my labia. Just an odd place. I mean every time I pee'd I would pee all over the area( no way to avoid it). I had to literally hold a gauze wrapped in plastic over the area every time I pee'd at first to try and keep the pee off of it. I also had my period which really did Not help matters at all.

QUOTE=mish2575;934140]I'm not sure if the puss causes more outbreaks. I don't believe so, just causes irritation on the skin.

For ones i cannot gauze i use pantyliners and Bactine antiseptic spray.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, where my abscess was located, it was impossible to keep any kind of gauze or pad there. I mean I would have to wear a pad like when I have my period, but nothing would stay on the spot where it was located( it was on the right labia kind between the anus and the vagina but to the side closer to my labia. Just an odd place. I mean every time I pee'd I would pee all over the area( no way to avoid it). I had to literally hold a gauze wrapped in plastic over the area every time I pee'd at first to try and keep the pee off of it. I also had my period which really did Not help matters at all.

QUOTE=mish2575;934140]I'm not sure if the puss causes more outbreaks. I don't believe so, just causes irritation on the skin.

For ones i cannot gauze i use pantyliners and Bactine antiseptic spray.
[/QUOTE]

Actually I think urine would be beneficial.

How had our been?

I know when the dermatologist lanced it and drained it she just said to keep it dry for 24 hours. I tried as best as I could which was nearly impossible. It seemed to close up in 2 days. It was a tiny opening she made to drain it. It seems okay so far, but sometimes I get irritation in that area, like little red bumps. I think due to where it is located it gets easily irritated. I have been putting olive oil on it to help keep it protected. I also just recently started having pain and irritation in my anal canal, especially on the left side right inside the anal canal. I went to my GI doc a couple days ago and he felt around in there and said oh it is likely a fissure and gave me a script for lidocaine gel to use on it for pain. He also gave me a script for this nitroglycerin ointment and said I could try it but warned it would cause bad headaches. I just would like to know what is going on. He keeps saying it is all IBS. I even told him I was not constipated so that is not what caused the fissure. I have no idea how I could of gotten it. Also, how could he tell it is a fissure just by putting his finger in there and feeling? He made it seem like everyone gets fissures and that they are very common in the general population. I do not know what to think.

Actually I think urine would be beneficial.

How had our been?[/QUOTE]

At the start of my HS, I had little pimples showing up inside labia minora.

My dermatologist says HS it's caused by too much horemones in body. I'm on spirolactone to combat. I think my mirena makes it worse but I need that in to combat my endometriosis. :/

Sorry, but what does HS stand for? I know about endometriosis, I also believe I have this as well and my gyne suspects it. I also have fibroids which I think is causing me issues.

I don't have any bumps inside the labia minora, my irritation is on the outer labia and vulva.

What we ladies have to put up with, it is not fair!

At the start of my HS, I had little pimples showing up inside labia minora.

My dermatologist says HS it's caused by too much horemones in body. I'm on spirolactone to combat. I think my mirena makes it worse but I need that in to combat my endometriosis. :/

Sorry, but what does HS stand for? I know about endometriosis, I also believe I have this as well and my gyne suspects it. I also have fibroids which I think is causing me issues.

I don't have any bumps inside the labia minora, my irritation is on the outer labia and vulva.

What we ladies have to put up with, it is not fair!
Hidradenitis Superova

Oh okay, yes I have heard of this disease. I know it can affect under the arms and anywhere there is sweat glands. Sorry you are dealing with that. I am not sure if that is what I have going on though. Thanks for mentioning it though so if I end up at my dermatologist office I can ask her about it.

Hidradenitis Superova