• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Currently Prepping D:

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I have my colonoscopy tomorrow afternoon (2pm) and I'm prepping for it now.

WHY DOES THIS HAVE TO TASTE SO AWFUL?

I seriously wish my sense of smell and taste could be numbed. It'd be so much easier. I have to drink 4 liters altogether (half tonight and the rest in the morning). How on Earth am I supposed to drink a glass every 10 min when my stomach is full from all the soda I'm mixing it with? :p I still have salt on my lips. It's so gross!!!!!!!!!!

:voodoo:

I have my upper GI this Friday. At least all I have to do for that is not eat anything. They wouldn't let me eat at all today before the prep. Could only have clear liquids. I'm hungry. :(

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hey this has never happened to me before. The right side of my abdomen seems to be more swollen than the left, distended I suppose is what you might call it. What gives? I am going to the bathroom, very often yet did have a little pain there before the evacuation was in full swing so to speak. :p I'll tell my GI about it tomorrow before the scope but I was wondering if any of you had any ideas as to why this is happening.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Aww man! I threw some of it up. Sitting on the toilet puking in the tub. Good times. :p I've never thrown it up before but I think I just couldn't hold anymore liquid.

Having a small bathroom comes in handy sometimes :) when I was prepping I had a bath to ease the cramps and threw up some of the prep. Luckily the sink was within reach so I didn't have to get out the bath!

As for the swelling, I notice this sometimes, I think the ileum is that side. So it would make sense for me to have more swelling and pain that side, especially when something irritates it like prep.

Are you honestly gonna drink 4Litres of that stuff:applause:

Normally, for me anyhow, once its running clear you're good to go:thumright:

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hey Crabby,

Sending you loads of luck with your tests............

:goodluck::goodluck::goodluck:

All the best! :)
Dusty

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Are you honestly gonna drink 4Litres of that stuff:applause:

Normally, for me anyhow, once its running clear you're good to go:thumright:

Haha! Noooooooooo! But what they don't know wont hurt them right? ;)

I started running clear last night but my appointment is at 2pm today and they want me to drink the rest this morning. Fat chance but I'll have at least 2 glasses I think. Well at least one. :p

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Thanks! I'm done with the prep now and am just waiting for my mom to show up and take me to my appointment. I know I'll be tired after wards but all I can think about right now is food. D: We'll see if I'll eat right after or not. :p

What prep are you taking? I was given MoviPrep for my latest scope - it sucked as they all do, co-pay was outrageously expensive ($45!) but at least it was only 2 litres total.

Good luck, I hope the experience proves worthwhile.

I had no idea colonoscopy prep was so involved. All I had to do for endoscopy (clear, urgh which led to misdiagnosis) was a laxative drink the night before and a small tube that went up on the morning. That was bad enough!

Expect that'll be the test for me at somepoint.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
@ Babs - It was Go-Lytole. Awful stuff.

@ StarGirl - I have my endoscopy tomorrow morning and all it says to do is not eat or drink anything 8 hours before the test. No prep is awesome!

Doc says my colon looks normal (didn't show me pictures) and to take Imodium as needed for diarrhea (even though I told him that I have diarrhea daily...). I didn't really like the way they handled putting me out for the procedure. They left me lying there on the cusp of between possible dream land and fully aware for like 5 min before giving me a little more right before the procedure. Then I recall them saying, you're doing great! All done! And then got wheeled out of there. I don't want to be aware of anything I told them. My GI from when I was a kid made sure that I never knew what was going on, why can't these doctors? Now I'm worried about my endoscopy tomorrow. I don't want to be aware of me choking and stuff. D:

Ask them if they can give you a drug called Versed. Blocks out short-term memory of the procedure. I've had it several times and don't remember ANYTHING!!!! I highly recommend it!

Last edited:

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I will thanks Babs.

They seemed so concerned about me moving for them when needed rather than me being fully put out. I'm not that heavy people. I give you permission to move me. :p

The cool thing about Versed is that you are 'awake' and can be compliant and move, but you just don't remember anything - it gives you amnesia, short term.

I had a colonoscopy yesterday. The last thing I remember was turning on my left side in the procedure room and the next thing I knew, I was in my own bed, 6 hours later!

Evidently I went through recovery, walked, talked, changed my clothes, was driven home, ate lunch and went upstairs to bed after the scope, but have no recollection of any of it!!! Versad rocks!

Last edited:

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Ok, apparently I was given Versed, as its written on my release paper but only 6mg of it. I think they should have given me a little more.

Versed: 6mg
Demerol: 100mg

I love Versed!

Right before my last colonoscopy, I was in a lot of pain and was so grateful to be even halfway knocked out! I had just enough seconds after the injection of knock me out drugs to say "oh, this is good stuff." I don't remember anything after that until introducing my doctor to my husband as "the evil butt doctor."

I'm so glad that your scope ended well.. as far as the results, that is!

Astra

ooo Crabby!
sorry a bit late wishing you good luck for scope, so good luck with the endo!
I've had one of those, and I didn't choke, but I puked up all over his hand tho! They're probably used to that happening!
xxx

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Thanks! I'm still nervous about the endoscopy. Paper here says that they will give me some kind of gargle to help numb the back of my throat... Never had to do that before and makes me worry that they are going to rely on that to keep me comfy rather than fully putting me out.

I was also clenching my teeth really hard last night and am wondering if it had to do with the Demerol or the Versed. Anyone else ever have that problem? I made another thread about it in the Anything Goes section of the forum.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Endoscopy all done. I don't remember the doctor talking to me after wards... Oh well. I see him on the 28th to talk about the results. :p Hurts a little when I swallow while eating but that'll pass I'm sure. That numbing stuff they put in the back of your throat is weird. I kept trying to swallow but I couldn't feel my throat which started to make me a little panicky but after focusing on my breathing and stopped trying to swallow I felt a little better (besides, who cares if you drool all over the place?).

Might I add also that sleeping all day is awesome. ;)

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hey Crabby,

Good to hear that all went well. Good luck with the results and keep us posted!

Thinking about you, :hug:
Dusty

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
(besides, who cares if you drool all over the place?).
Yeah Crabs!! After your "funny crohns experience", I'd say a little drool is fairly mild by comparison:)!!

Glad it went well!! I guess your fears were unfounded if you can't remember talking to the doc after the endo. That's good!!

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
So as you guys know I had a colonoscopy and an endoscopy the same week last week and I feel different. Enough days have passed where I should be feeling better. Last night while laying down I had the strangest pain in my abdomen that I've never felt before. It was sharp like glass or needles on the left side just below bellybutton level. It would come and go and last a couple of seconds and then go a couple of seconds (I could also make it hurt by pressing on that area). Then it started radiating up towards my stomach or off to my right side, the radiation seemed random but it hurt a lot. I was laying on my right side so I decided to lay on my back but the pain didn't stop. Then I laid on my left side and the pain slowly started to go away. Haven't felt it since.

This morning now I have pain starting at my stomach and moves up to about the level of my heart. It's almost like heartburn except much lower than where I usually get it. It also comes and goes in waves and radiates pain towards the middle of my back.

I don't know if the doctor took any biopsies cause the doctors always love to talk to you while you're still knocked out. I'll be seeing him on the 28th this month to go over the results and to figure out a treatment plan for me. But do you think it could be pain from where biopsies were taken or related to the tests at all or have any clue what would cause either pain?

Last edited:
Crabby,

Don't know what is causing your pain, but I imagine the pain being from where the biopsies were taken is possible. I'm glad it went away.. If it comes back, or even if you are still concerned about it, I would call the doctor and at least see if the nurse can offer some helpful words.

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
J, you've had these tests before, haven't you? Ever experience any pains 3 days after? EJ had both done in one day with multiple biopsies and he felt no discomfort even the same night. If it isn't gone by now, I'd say what you already know:)!!