Share Facebook

06-01-2014, 08:12 PM   #61
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
The volunteering was great. The kids ran one mile. The preschool and kindergartners blew my mind they sprinted through the entire trail leaving theirbparents behind! Lol We cheered them on gave high fives and drew fun and inspiring images and words in chalk on the ground that they could see as they run. They celebrated so much after it brought a smile to everyone's face.

Today i have to run some errands. I live in Chicago so cars are an unnecessary financial burden. Using my two feet I trekked through the city for about 4 hours in 80 degrees and humidity! Needless to say I was sweaty, hungry and craving a nap when it was all over ! I did a Google search and it estimated that I blew through at least 900 calories during my adventure.

My bed is calling me.
Past Meds:
Prednisone/ Entocort / Flagyl
Current Supplements:
B12 Shot (1cc/mo) / Multivitamin / Vitamin D (1000iu) / Calcium (1200mg) / Omega 3 Fish Oil (4800mg)
Additional Info:
Anemia/Borderline Anemia - whole life
Generalized Anxiety Disorder - 2009 (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, mindfulness meditation)

06-02-2014, 01:28 PM   #62
theOcean

My Support Groups:
Oh my gosh! I swear, little kids have way more stamina than I do. That sounds like it was so much fun -- even hearing about it is making me smile.

And good for you toughing out the humidity! My city is super walkable too, but we also get the awful humidity here. You definitely deserve some nice rest for the great day you had.
Unrelated Medication: 36mg Concerta, 75mg Pregabalin
Currently: In remission!
06-03-2014, 09:15 AM   #63
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Chicago, my hubby lived in Chicago for 4 years when he went to art school years ago, and he actually did have a car during the time he lived there (so that he could come back to WI and visit me and his family - we did the long distance dating thing when we were both in school). But yeah, it was a massive pain. At first he paid something like $120 per month for a parking spot in a ramp, but then he moved to a different apartment and just parked on the street. Between searching endlessly to find a parking spot on the street, parking tickets, hit & runs, break-ins to the car, etc - it was just ridiculous. At one point it appeared that some homeless guy broke in and spent the night in hubby's car, as everything of value had been taken but the passenger seat was reclined flat and there was a random bag of clothes left in the car. So yeah, I hear you, cars in Chicago are so not worthwhile, just an expensive headache! It sounds like you're doing fine without a car and getting some exercise in too, so that's very good.

And oh yeah, little kids crack me up. They have no concept of "pacing yourself" so they just run at full speed - I can remember being pretty little and my mom entered me in a race, and she ran with me and told me not to use up all my energy and to run slower. Well, I did that and came in last place because every other kid just ran at top speed. I wish I had 1/10th of that energy now!
06-03-2014, 10:38 AM   #64
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I honestly forgot it was possible to have that much energy at some point in your life until I saw these little preschoolers and kindergartners running a mile and then getting on stage and jumping/dancing around after. Watching them I thought of all of my b12 injections and longed to have some of that youthful energy back. hahaha!

Yeah if your hubby thought parking was bad then it's even worse now. You can't be anywhere close to the center of the city without having parking troubles. And you need a permit to park in most areas. By my old apartment it takes an average of 20-45minutes to find street parking. OR you are parking further away than you'd like and consequently have to walk a bit to get where you need to be.

Parking fees are ridiculous. And even side swiping is a problem. I just recently witnessed a car drive by and knock the side view mirror off of a parked car. If you do have a car, it's definitely in your best interest to find a place with private parking or rent a private garage. Definitely stick to buses and trains or bikes or just go walking/running if you can manage lol. We've got those Divvy bikes now in Chicago (a public rent-a-bike system)
06-03-2014, 11:24 AM   #65
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Yeah, we have a public bike rental system here too - ours is called B-cycle. It's fairly expensive though, I think it's something like $16 for 30 minutes? I've never rented one but the local news had articles about it when they first started the bike rental thing here a couple years ago, and I recall being appalled by the cost. Around that time I bought myself a bike instead, as that seemed like a much smarter investment (after a few hours' worth of riding, it pays for itself compared to the cost of renting!).

And yep, my car got side-swiped once when parked on a Chicago street while I was visiting hubby. I didn't lose my mirror, but I did lose a tail light and had a lovely scrape along the side of the car. That was not fun.
06-24-2014, 09:29 AM   #66
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I've been away. Not ignoring my need to work out but life kept me from keeping things routine. Some sporadic 7 hour walks, Jillian Michaels DVDs and an occasional jog but mostly SLEEP because my personal obligations have kept me mentally/emotionally stressed and running about til I was ragged. I was also experiencing some mild digestive issues that got me a bit concerned so I took it easy for a bit and things are now back under control. After a b12 injection I was able to pick back up some and now I'm back on track and ready to get going again.

Sunday I went for my first jog, started a different program than the C25K but same concept mostly because my app keeps freezing on me for some reason and crashing right after I finish the intervals but before my phone is able to save the record

The weather, though rainy/foggy, has cooperated with my runs. Due to the lack of consistency I started from the beginning again to ease my body back into the idea of running, I think I should be able to progress more easily this time though.

Yesterday I did my strength training class. He worked me HARD. He wanted to test my ability to do certain hip exercises (I have limited motion in one hip due to surgery) so we did some adductor/abductor exercises using weights on a cable pulley machine. It was incredibly hard to do. And the machine almost yanked my bad hip out of it's socket because I did not have enough strength to control my motions. Better to be safe than sorry and not use that machine again to do such exercises, I don't need any new surgeries in my life any time soon!

The rest of the routine was nuts. Upper body and core exercises all using the pulley machine. The most interesting thing of the day was that as weak as I am with all of these upper body and side routines, I appear to have great form, strength and control in my quads. He had me do a deep squat + torso twist using the pulley machine.....I got through 90 of them with little problem! He even said that I have one of the best forms out of all of his clients which, given my weak performance in other areas, shocked him as much as it did myself. Guess it's better to be good at at least one physical activity because I absolutely suck at the rest! LOL.

This morning I hurt. hahahahah. I am sore, but the good kind of sore. And hoping to get a jog in this evening.
06-24-2014, 12:55 PM   #67
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Yay, Chicago's quads! And wait, 90 squats??!! That's awesome! I can do like 10-15 deep squats and then I get tired. Doing 90 is fantastic, great job! Have fun with your run tonight too!
06-24-2014, 01:05 PM   #68
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Hahaha thanks. I think what helped was that (1) they were in 6 sets of 15 squats with me shaking out my legs for about 10 seconds after each set and (2) I used them while also having one hand on the cable pulley machine to twist my torso afterwards (though I had 12lbs of weight tacked on the pulley machine).

Can I do it WITHOUT the cable pulley is the ultimate test. I bet I could do half of that. Not sure about the whole 90. I will have to try again once my quads stop feeling a little like gelatin LOL. Lots of muscle repair going on in my body right now.
06-24-2014, 01:59 PM   #69
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Ah, I see. I haven't ever done squats with a pulley, I've done them just regular or with dumbbells in my hands (that's tough to do too!).

I'm sure you probably already know this, but after a workout like that, make sure to eat something high in protein. That will help with that muscle repair process and you should theoretically recover faster and with less soreness. I've read that it's best to eat something within 20 minutes of finishing your workout - so sometimes (when I remember to do so) I bring a banana and a little individual packet of almond butter in my gym bag and scarf that down in the changing room right after my workout. Not sure if it's been helping but it can't hurt? And weirdly enough, I've read that one of the best things to alleviate soreness, is to exercise the sore muscles! Don't go crazy of course, but if your legs are sore, maybe take a short walk and that should actually help. I've gone into the gym with sore muscles before and come out with no soreness, so I know it can work.
06-24-2014, 02:23 PM   #70
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I'll keep that in mind. I had some salmon no more than 30min after the workout and this morning I had a banana/almond milk/almond butter/chia seed smoothie.

I've also heard that working out after soreness helps too, in the past I have been too exhausted and sore to try.

However, for as sore as I am at the moment I still think I can manage a light jog/walk interval for about 25 min tonight. I've already walked around a little bit (short walk to work and around the office). I massaged the muscles a little bit yesterday before bed and I just know that I owe myself a good deep stretch this evening.
06-25-2014, 12:15 PM   #71
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
The rain came last night and prevented the run. More importantly, my soreness progressed (could barely lift one arm without some discomfort) so I decided it was in my best interest to ice it down and rest for recovery.

Today I was searching online for free workout/strength training generator websites and came across this interesting site. The web page is a bit difficult to navigate at first but so far I like the options they have and stats they allow you to record in their free version and am thinking of setting it up to help me get a more routine and strength training schedule going outside of my 2 personal training sessions per month. Going to talk to my trainer and see what he thinks about the program as well.

http://fitsync.com/

I used to use a program called ActivTrax but you can only find that in certain gyms (not mine unfortunately).

I hope to get back on track with some very light exercise tonight and tomorrow after my busy schedule then back to jogging on Friday.
06-25-2014, 02:07 PM   #72
kel
Forum Monitor

I would never ever twist the spine while weighted.
06-25-2014, 02:27 PM   #73
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
it was in this order

1. Full squat then come to a stand (while holding the cable)
2. Pull the cable straight back with one arm (similar to the image below but with arms straight out at start as well) and return to original position
3. Repeat

[IMG][/IMG]

This was the easier exercise surprisingly!

Honestly the soreness came mostly from this lying cable pullover exercise. I have terrible arm strength so it's going to take some work on my part to get things in shape up there:

I would never ever twist the spine while weighted.
06-25-2014, 04:01 PM   #74
kel
Forum Monitor

That is probably OK.
06-26-2014, 11:27 AM   #75
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Feeling MUCH better today. Got a 45min walk in yesterday evening since I was already out and about.

Tonight I go to the kickball fields and get to fool around a little, the goal is to do some light core work as well before bedtime.

Jogging returns tomorrow.
06-26-2014, 03:06 PM   #76
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Glad to hear you're recovered from the zillions of squats! Have fun with kickball and jogging. Have you guys been having a lot of rain down there? We had I think over a week where it rained (sometimes very heavily) every day - it finally stopped raining yesterday. So if you've had similar rainy weather, I hope the weather dries up and allows you to have a nice time jogging & playing kickball.
06-26-2014, 03:45 PM   #77
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Yeah it's been raining pretty often the past two weeks here in the city. This past week and weekend we had a lot of heavy thunderstorms so doing anything outdoors you had to make it quick before the clouds rolled in. My games have been cancelled recently due to rain. I took a quick day trip to chinatown this weekend to buy some fresh fish and got caught in a bright and sunny rain shower...fortunately the trip was done before the downpour came.

It was still a tad drizzly here this morning but hoping things clear up some. It's kept me from jogging when I am available to I'd really like to hop back on it but the weather has not been showing us Midwesterners any love this year.

The treadmill is another option for me if things don't work out.

Hope the weather starts to clear up for you too!
06-30-2014, 04:50 PM   #78
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I got my jog in on Saturday morning. It's been a pretty hot and humid weekend here in Chicago. My jog ended and I got home 5 minutes before a brief thunderstorm hit. PHEW! I also took outdoor dance instructions Saturday evening. Then got caught in a second storm

Sunday I marched 4 miles in the Chicago Pride Parade. It was so hot I was ready to fall out towards the end, but it's always this hot on the last Sunday of June.
At the end of the parade I was trying to catch a bus home. I noticed the bus about 250 yards from where I was and attempted to make a mad dash to catch it. I was successful and when I finally got into the bus and sat I noticed something really important....I was not out of breath! I used to gasp for air attempting something like that. These jogging efforts must be paying off. It's always nice to see some sort of physical progress even if the visual isn't there yet. It helps keep me motivated.

Tonight is personal training session.
06-30-2014, 10:22 PM   #79
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Training tonight focused on upper body, especially arm strength. Basically it came to this because I could barely do planks and side planks. The thing making it hard was not so much about my core, it was more that my arms struggle to hold up my body after about 10-15 seconds. I have been focusing on the cardio/ jogging a lot I need to make sure I am more regularly incorporating my strength training in addition to the cardio.

The dangerous storms hit the area almost immediately after my strength session ended. I had no choice but to stay in the gym and keep working out until the storm calmed
07-02-2014, 10:13 AM   #80
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Jog interval of 18:30 min yesterday approx. 1.4 miles. My average jog time and distance have increased by a few seconds and two-tenths of a mile this past week according to the phone app + GPS that I use when I run. Small progress a success I am willing to claim.

This jog was a little bit harder at first for some reason but then it got better. I assume it's one of those bad days that everyone experiences. I just wasn't into it mentally when I started out, I wanted to just give up but as I continued I built some energy and momentum and focused on following through and finishing. I think it all came to a transition point when I changed the music I was listening to. If I need to push myself more I am finding that I need some alternative/rock music to do so lol.

Also managed to get a few core exercises in before bedtime.
07-02-2014, 10:16 AM   #81
Orchid
Banned

My Support Groups:
That's quite an improvement for one week, we're not marathon runners so we don't need to torture ourselves over making the sort of leaps they can make. Just focus on your own progress.
07-02-2014, 03:04 PM   #82
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Chicago, yes, it seems to me that all athletes have those days where the weights feel heavier or you have to put in more effort to keep your feet moving forward. I definitely have those days and they don't necessarily seem to correlate to when I'm having a bad tummy day. I do notice, however, that if I've pushed myself to work out a few days in a row without a rest day (even if do different things, like if I do yoga one day, weights the next, bike the next, etc), then I will usually have one of those "everything is heavy and difficult" days. So in my experience, it's best to just take a rest day after that happens and pick yourself up and start again the following day. Don't let it discourage you, just rest a bit and then get back to it.

And oh yes, what's on your workout playlist is vitally important! For me, I need to have a good pumping beat, that seems to be the most important thing. Slow, introspective music is okay for yoga and even for weights sometimes, but if I'm doing cardio like biking, then I absolutely need a good beat to keep my feet moving. You may want to set up a few different workout playlists and see which ones best keep you moving. I know I'm always tweaking my workout playlist, adding new songs and removing ones that are too slow or have become stale in my ears. Keeping it peppy and fresh works best for me.
07-03-2014, 09:59 AM   #83
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Yep, last night was my rest day. Still did a small amount of ab work but stayed away from cardio and intense training to allow some rest/recovery.

If I'm doing cardio I need a pumping beat as well. But I notice when I jog it needs to be a hard, pumping beat. Something with a little intensity because I naturally find the act of jogging terribly boring, especially if on a treadmill. The thing that prevents me from giving up these jog intervals I currently do is that I am choosing to do them along the lakefront so I get a good breeze and beautiful scenery with the cityscape in the background. The added music keeps me focused on the goal.

Playlists are very fun to make. In addition to my music player, I make them via Spotify. I also like the variety that some of the Spotify radio stations give because they offer new and fun music I haven't heard of and it keeps things fresh and keeps me on my toes. I feel like I sounded like a mini commercial there for a second hahaha.
07-07-2014, 09:46 AM   #84
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I can totally relate to finding treadmill jogging boring. I can't jog, but when I ride the stationary bike, I often get really bored with that. I love riding my bike outside and seeing the scenery, but basically all winter long or during bad weather in the warm months, I can't ride my bike outside and am forced to ride the stationary bike indoors. It's soooo boring! I know I need the cardio so I basically just make myself do it, but it's not enjoyable. Even with something good on the TV, that only keeps my attention for so long and I find myself looking at the clock a lot. My actual bike, I can ride it through the arboretum and see nature (sometimes I have to swerve my bike to avoid turkeys!), I can ride around the outside of the zoo and hear the lion roaring, or I can just ride downtown and people-watch. On my stationary bike, obviously I can't leave my house so nothing interesting ever happens. It's a static environment versus a dynamic environment, and if the weather would just behave (who even needs winter anyway) then I'd pick dynamic every time!
07-07-2014, 10:07 AM   #85
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I've been able to keep up with my workouts finally! I got a couple more jog intervals in since last post. And after a stressful day I even managed to sneak in a 20 minute swim at the gym which not only served as exercise but helped relax my mind and body. I've moved up from 1 minute jogs/90 second walks for a total of approx. 25 minutes. I am now at 90 second jogs/2 minute walks.

When I become more comfortable with this change the Couch to 5k program will try to advance me to a switch-off between 90 second jog /90 second walk AND 3 minute jog/3 minute walk for about 25 - 30 minutes.

It's getting a little easier to push through when I feel like I can't do anymore. I'm notorious for stopping immediately when I feel my body is being put to work. But if I don't challenge it even slightly now and then I won't get anywhere. I'm doing the program a little more slowly than I should but that's because I am still getting comfortable with the idea of jogging. I know there is some progress because I feel the desire to jog and definitely feel somewhat guilty if I'm not able to get it in for one day. I don't jog for at least two - three days out of the week and try to incorporate something else into my fitness routine.
07-07-2014, 04:48 PM   #86
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I think it's fine to do the program at your own pace, as long as you continue with it and keep making progress and keep enjoying it and all that good stuff. Feeling the desire to jog definitely sounds like progress! Well done!

Swimming sounds lovely. That's like the one thing I don't do, my gym doesn't have a pool and the one public pool in my city always has a zillion people in it so no chance of swimming laps or even just having a leisurely float around. I suppose I could swim in one of the local lakes, but they're still pretty cold plus they're really gross.
07-08-2014, 10:41 PM   #87
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Yeah I don't even go into Lake Michigan here in Chicago. I learned as a kid you should never go in that water above your knees if you are not out past the safety lines. Illinois is ranked one of the lowest in water quality along the great lakes and east/west coast and with the constant beach closures for contamination it makes perfect sense why. So I don't mind getting my feet wet but I will keep my swimming activities limited to pools and deep bodies of water lol.

Rested yesterday. Today I was so tired I couldn't mentally get into jog mode so I opted to hit up the gym and do the elliptical for 45 min at Incline 10 and intervals of 1 - 8 resistance. Its funny how much easier it felt to do this now that I have been jogging. My endurance is improving more with each day. That incline and high resistance would have tired me out before but I felt I had some energy after which felt good.
07-09-2014, 08:57 AM   #88
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Our local beaches get closed due to bad water quality all the time, too. And our local lakes often have something called blue-green algae, which is apparently toxic (potentially fatal I think?) if you ingest even a little bit of it, so between that and all the other ickyness of the lakes, it's just so not worth it to swim in the lakes. Yeah, like you said, I'll wade in but that's about it, and I make sure to wash my feet/legs off really well after wading!
07-14-2014, 10:24 PM   #89
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Today got my strength training session in. I feel my core getting stronger and able to handle longer exercises than it used to. Lower body, core and arms today. Medicine ball, giant swiss/stability ball, cable pull machine and some body weight exercises.

I think I enjoy the exercise ball the best. We did windshield wipers on the swiss ball that gave my hips and core an intense but interesting workout. You put the ball between your legs, raise your legs up in the air and then and sway your lower body from side to side. Swaying from left to right is one count. It's something I could definitely see myself doing at home outside of the gym.

We also did some scorpion exercises on the bench which also worked my hips and core. It looks so simple but after doing a good number of them lifting your legs into the air and crossing over becomes harder than you realize. This exercise is supposedly really good strengthening for runners and also easily done at home.

I like that I am learning all of these new moves. It really helps make things interesting. I'm more likely to give up with repetition due to boredom so I like that each week my trainer shows me at least one or two new moves.

Didn't get to jog the last few days due to rain and a bad sore throat/congestion situation but it finally is clearing up. I got some walking in this past weekend though when it didn't rain on me.
07-15-2014, 09:07 AM   #90
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Sounds like you're doing well and making good progress! I really need to do more with my exercise ball, too. Whenever I inflate it, after a day or two hubby feels like it takes up too much space and he deflates it.