Share Facebook

10-01-2014, 09:52 AM   #151
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I had a good amount of protein and veggies for breakfast and lunch. More likely than not my body hasn't been used to working out that intensely for a while PLUS I was up at 5am which is earlier than normal so combined I just couldn't keep my eyes open during the last half of the day. I passed out at around 9:30pm.

Today I will be taking it easy with some walking or light elliptical training. Tomorrow I wake up extra early and go to bootcamp before work again.

Also, I've started making soups for the fall and it's really helping me keep my daily calorie intake under better control. The soups I've been experimenting with are heavy on the vegetables and protein and broth-based or just puréed vegetable blends. My favorite so far is the puréed zucchini soup I made. This method is helping me get an adequate amount of veggies in my diet, making digestion a bit easier for me and keeping calories down while making me feel fuller. The puréed soups I use mostly as a 1st course to my lunch and dinner. The broth-based soups and stews are more hearty and balanced meals. Out of those, my favorite so far is the "sweet potato quinoa chicken chili".
Past Meds:
Prednisone/ Entocort / Flagyl
Current Supplements:
B12 Shot (1cc/mo) / Multivitamin / Vitamin D (1000iu) / Calcium (1200mg) / Omega 3 Fish Oil (4800mg)
Additional Info:
Anemia/Borderline Anemia - whole life
Generalized Anxiety Disorder - 2009 (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, mindfulness meditation)

10-02-2014, 09:29 AM   #152
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
2nd bootcamp experience today. I was still a bit sore last night so I took an epsom salt bath before bed to prepare for it. Good thing I did because today worked me just as hard if not harder. It's been 90minutes since class and I'm already hurting but in a good way. More pull-ups, some rowing, lots of core and arm exercises and some running drills.

I think a day of rest in between these two bootcamps is a good idea.

I'm also doing a burpee challenge/experiment each day to see how many I can do in the month of October. I'm nuts. But in between the bootcamps the burpees will be a reminder that I need to try my best (and within reason) in order to see positive health changes.
10-03-2014, 11:04 AM   #153
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Today my legs feel almost back to normal but my arms feel like they are still on fire. Going to give the arms a rest and focus on light cardio this weekend like walking or an easy gym cardio class/DVD. Another epsom salt bath this weekend will be lovely.
10-03-2014, 12:16 PM   #154
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I have read and experienced firsthand that when you're really sore, exercising the sore muscles will actually help them feel less sore! It sounds counterintuitive, but it really does work - I've tried it a handful of times with good results each time. Resting your sore muscles would also work though and that sounds like the better plan to me (exercising already sore muscles does put you at a higher risk of injury). But, if you do some light arm exercises, you may find that you feel less sore - just a thought for you if it's really awful soreness. A massage might be nice too if that's within your budget!

Have fun if you end up going walking! Are you guys supposed to get really cold weather this weekend too? The high temp here for tomorrow is only about 45 degrees, and they said we might get snow tonight or tomorrow. Brr and yuck! So if you go walking outside, bundle up! I think I'm going to stay in all weekend (I'll go to the gym but I probably won't walk the dog or do any outdoor type activities). It seems WAY too early in the season for cold and snow already. And it was 80 degrees on Monday, what a difference in one week! Brr! Stay warm!
10-03-2014, 12:26 PM   #155
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Yeah, movement does help it, but overall it's the soreness where if I'm not moving, I can't really lift my arms comfortably at all. I know it's not an injury though because it's on both arms in the exact same spot and it's only when I flex my muscles a certain way does it get uncomfortable and hard to move into position.

They've been sore since the first bootcamp on Tuesday, the Wednesday epsom salt bath helped a little but Thursday's bootcamp put them back into hurts-to-lift-my-arm soreness mode. All things considered, rest for at least a full day is probably the best idea.

My lower body (which has always been much stronger than my upper half) is recovering much faster and so some lower body-focused cardio will do me well until Saturday. Then I will try some light arm exercises and see how it feels.
10-03-2014, 12:30 PM   #156
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
It was raining all last night and this morning. The temps are expected to drop in the 40s and the winds are starting to pick up a lot. Chicago is having it's first annual Great Chicago Fire festival on the Chicago River tomorrow with all day music, performances, and a finale fire spectacle on the river and fireworks and I REALLY want to check it out I will have to bundle myself up well. I know it's October but these temps usually don't hit Chicago until around Halloween at the end of the month (its always freezing on halloween).

http://chicagofirefestival.com/

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20140...cago-fire-fest

That's crazy you are going to get snow already. Good luck and stay warm!
10-03-2014, 03:53 PM   #157
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
We normally have fairly decent weather through October, as well. It typically does not snow here in October! This is WAY too early in the season for snow. It's quite windy here as well and it was something like 48 degrees when I went out to run errands a little while ago. Not snowing yet, but it feels like it might! Yuck! I hope you have a good time at the festival tomorrow! Maybe get your leg cardio in by moving around/jogging in place at the festival to stay warm. Stay warm!
10-06-2014, 10:22 AM   #158
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Saturday was crazy cold. I still managed to get out for a few hours on Saturday evening though. The soreness was gone by the afternoon which is a relief...sleeping on sore arms was not fun to wake up to. Sunday I went to a dance/cardio class that worked me out real nice.

Still going strong on the burpees. 105 completed this past week...I'm up to 30 burpees/day. Today is a rest day and tomorrow I have an 60 min. bootcamp and 35 burpees.

My sleep cycle routine has officially shifted. I tried resting this weekend and sleeping in until 9am....all weekend my body was wide awake and I was ready to get up and moving by 6:30a.m. Consequently, I am also a walking zombie now by 10:00p.m. But my sleep feels more relaxing and wholesome. The morning sluggishness is fading and my alertness at work during the day is increasing.
10-07-2014, 10:55 AM   #159
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Up at 4:55 a.m. (no alarm!) Bootcamp at 7:00 a.m.

Mostly upper body work and lunges, all using kettlebells. I don't normally use kettlebells at all so I got a unique workout today. Using them kind of makes me nervous. There were these kettlebell side swings and oblique crunches that we did that got me thinking if I accidentally let go of the kettlebell it would fall right on my head. Good thing that didn't happen in real life.

I challenged myself in a new way but I don't feel like the recovery time will be as lengthy and intense as last week as I spent more time focusing on proper form than getting in reps. At least the reps I did were quality ones.
10-16-2014, 09:12 AM   #160
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I'm still keeping with the workout/sleep routine I began: bootcamp 2 - 3 days/week early A.M. and early rises M-F between 5:00a.m. and 6:00a.m.

I 'm loving the bootcamp class and challenging myself in a way I haven't since before Crohn's and steroid treatments for crohn's. I have more energy and mental clarity in the morning but I find that pure exhaustion comes easily as the day progresses. I'm beginning to crash easily by mid-afternoon and I can barely keep my eyes open by dinnertime. It becomes a combination of physical and mental exhaustion. My body is pretty used to getting up early now and does it on it's own even without the alarm so sleeping in is not all that easy. My bedtimes have also moved up to about 1-2 hours earlier naturally since this early a.m. routine has taken over.

Naps are not a real option anymore as my office just moved floors temporarily for construction and the private conference room I used to rest when I was flaring is no longer available.

My diet can continue to be evaluated to eliminate poor items and increase those proteins and things that will give me the energy boost to keep me going.

I also haven't gotten my b12 shot in close to 3 months now (I've been traveling and occupied with dentists and other things that create scheduling conflicts). I need to get back on track with that.

I have a GI appointment I need to schedule for next month and I will ask him to check all of my blood levels including iron and b12 since it's been a good while since I have gotten that done.

The one thing I've noticed is that my body doesn't bounce back from activity like it used to before crohn's. Fatigue is my new nickname after a day or two of activity. Kind of disappointing but also acknowledgment that I have to figure out what works best for me at this stage in my life to help keep my health more balanced during remission.
10-16-2014, 05:04 PM   #161
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Chicago, if it were me I'd definitely look into getting back on those B12 shots ASAP and get some bloodwork done too - even though you're exercising early in the morning, you really shouldn't be that exhausted by dinnertime or that fatigued after a day or two of exercise. Definitely makes me wonder if you've got some vitamin deficiencies going on so I'm glad you're going to get that checked out! I hope whatever is causing the fatigue is an easy fix.
10-20-2014, 11:06 AM   #162
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Thanks. I set up my appointment for two weeks from now with my GI and PCP so hopefully they can help shed some light on the situation.

I've also been pushing myself a lot with other responsibilities in addition to trying to relax and enjoy myself. Last week was pretty brutal. But the coming weeks I will be more focused on balancing my calendar to encourage exercise and rest. Before crohn's I was a very active and social person. In general I often forget that I can't just run around like I used to and expect to have the same amount of energy left over. Then I wind up occasionally crashing and reaching a point of exhaustion that brings me to tears and disappointment.

However, I don't have any intention of giving up the bootcamps as I feel so much better physically and mentally when I do them. I can feel myself getting physically stronger....so I will need to focus more on working around them.

OH! And I can feel myself improving on my planks! I can finally hold a side plank AND do a few seconds of proper plank punches without my knees on the ground! I still hate planks though. Hahahahaha!
10-30-2014, 09:41 AM   #163
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
My workout routine is going strong and I'm even feeling like I am getting a bit more energy to start my days. The scale wasn't budging at first but it looks like I have dropped 3 pounds since starting bootcamp the beginning of October. (3 down, at least 17 more to go!) I'm assuming I've put on more muscle which caused the delay in pounds lost on the scale.

I gave up my membership at my LA Fitness to join the bootcamp program as I'm really being challenged there more than personal training or doing their gym activities. I also joined a dietbet challenge to try and win some money off of my weight loss/health improvement goals. With the dietbet, I have to lose 4% of my current weight (7.8lb loss) in 28 days. The pot is now at around $18,500 (and about 530 players) so that will be fun if I can win a piece of that plus what I put into the pot initially.

So I will be doing bootcamp 2 -3 days/week + 2-3 days of cardio at home via YouTube channels. I've been reviewing and collecting exercises from YouTube that I think will give me the variety that I need to stay focused and in the game. Also, I usually give up sweets at the start of November in preparation for Thanksgiving so I'm looking forward to seeing how that affects my body in addition to my new workout / clean(er) eating routine.

Oh! And planks STILL improving! I'm learning how to do plank varieties now! Today was the plank toe-touch.
10-30-2014, 02:47 PM   #164
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Sounds like you're doing great! And yes, muscle is denser than fat so it is possible to put on muscle and lose fat but not have your number on the scale shift much - that happened with me, too. Do not let that discourage you - health is about wayyy more than just the number on the scale! It sounds like you're feeling better and getting stronger which are far more important things, even if they can't really be measured in numbers.

That's excellent about your planks improving! It's so satisfying to improve on something you don't really like - it's a feeling like, you won! Planks zero, Chicago one.
11-05-2014, 12:39 PM   #165
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Got my B12 injection last night. Also had a 6 month follow-up with my GI regarding my remission. I have felt better than I have since this diagnosis 2 1/2 years ago. I am finally able to do more and even though I sometimes need to take a break to regain my energy from all of my activity, I have had no crohn's symptoms....only excessive IBS gassiness and fiber bloating-non constipation (he has me starting probiotics to help with that).

I have been on 6-mp for 1 year + 8 months now and it put and has kept me in remission. However I seem to be an unusual case as I appear to be in remission at a non-therapeutic dose. And though my dose is non-therapeutic with no symptoms, my liver toxicity levels seem to INCREASE each time my dosage is altered...doesn't matter whether the dose is upped or lowered. My GI has been stumped as to why this is happening but we didn't want to mess with a good thing. While my liver toxicity levels are worth monitoring, they aren't elevated enough to require me being off of the medication so we have kept things as they are since the start of this year and I have had no issues and keep feeling better.

Over the summer he apparently consulted with a few colleagues about my case and they all seem to have come to an agreement that adding allopurinol to my treatment plan may be in my best interest. I'm not pleased to hear that. I am so over being a lab rat, adding medications and dealing with side effects or the worry of potential side effects that could effect my everyday life. I've been feeling so well and for some blood work to say that is not the case just pisses me off and bummed me out a lot. This appointment just reminded me that no matter how well I may be feeling, I will always have this cloud of crohn's hovering over me waiting to strike and make my life uncomfortable again. I had more bloodwork done last night and that will give me time to think about whether or not adding medication is in my best interest....depending on the results of the lab work, of course.

Anyway, outside of yesterdays glum news, I'm still making progress with the fitness and I am starting to see some slight visible results. You are right, Cat. The scale is only one part of the equation. I feel myself becoming lighter and developing muscle in areas where I had little to none. My energy/alertness is improving and I am still committed to my weight loss / healthy diet goal.
11-11-2014, 10:57 AM   #166
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Got my b12 last week and feeling much more able to get-up-and-go than before.

Also got my bloodwork back and from the looks of all of it everything seems to be in a good range except for the 6mp is still not at a therapeutic level but the toxic levels have dropped significantly into a safer number. Not sure what my GI will think of all of it given my history on these meds but we will see when I call.

Been under a lot of mental stress lately and also very busy so I didn't put much energy into exercising last week though I did go on a few easy walks through some neighborhoods. Went back to bootcamp this morning and feel like it was my first time there I was so burnt out! That's what I get for missing a few days lol. It also shows me the importance of staying physically active. If I had done absolutely nothing last week I would have been mush this morning

I'm down from 194lbs. to 191lbs still. Having difficulty breaking into the 180s but I'm sure it will happen with diligence. I am more excited to FEEL stronger than I have before. I've also shed almost a full inch in my hips so there is definitely some muscle being built in my body right now.
11-11-2014, 05:50 PM   #167
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I'm glad you got your B12 shot and that it helped! The way you've been talking about your energy levels lately has had me a bit concerned so I'm glad things seem to be on the upswing now. And I know what you mean about having a hard time getting back into the really tough workouts after a break. I slacked for awhile on my workouts with the vertigo stuff and the weather turning cooler and all that, and now that I'm finally properly getting back into my workouts, I've had to lower the amount of weight I'm lifting and things seem more difficult. Even though I've still sporadically worked out the past couple months, that was not enough to keep my fitness level up where it was so now I'm playing catch-up. Hopefully boot camp quickly gets easier for you again! Not that it'll ever be easy from the sound of it, but you know what I mean.

And that's fantastic about the weight loss and your hips being slimmer! I've actually gained about 6 lbs lately so I'm trying to lose a bit of weight myself, and it's definitely not easy, so you should be proud of your 3 lb loss! I was also reading recently about the term "NSVs" - non-scale victories. Hitting fitness goals or milestones that can't be quantified as a number on the scale. Like, you mentioned feeling stronger and having put on muscle, and that's definitely a NSV. So celebrate those things as well!
12-01-2014, 11:41 AM   #168
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Wow. 11/11/14 was my last post. This was unintentional. I've been dealing with some very personal issues that have kept me away from the forum. I kept up with my challenge however I unfortunately lost. I DID manage to get my weight into the 189lb. range (original weight 194) . And as of this past weekend I saw visible progress for the first time in the form of performance....I completed my very first set of proper plank push-ups! My core is getting stronger as are my arms. I did 4 rounds and got through 7 of them before needing to return to the modified version. Prior to this I couldn't do a plank for more than 5 seconds and I definitely couldn't get my arms up to do a push up. So I'm motivated to keep going and pushing myself to become stronger and healthier.

Dietary-wise I have done my best to keep things simple but am slipping now and then due to stress. Fortunately my fridge does not keep bad foods in stock so temptation wins only if I choose to seek out the not-so-good-for-you foods. I avoided binge eating on Thanksgiving and even refused to take many leftovers home to avoid sabotaging my goals.

My energy levels are still pretty good but I've been running about a lot so I sleep a bit longer than usual though I still manage to keep my two days/week 5:00 a.m. schedule for bootcamp. I also go to bootcamps every other Saturday. When life settles in two weeks or so I will be able to give more time to physical activity.
12-01-2014, 11:50 AM   #169
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I'm glad to hear you're still exercising in spite of life/personal stuff getting in the way! That's an accomplishment in itself and you should be proud. And congrats on the weight loss too! It sounds like you're hitting your goals so keep at it. That's awesome about the plank and push-ups, too!
01-08-2015, 04:52 PM   #170
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Still here....

Most of December was spent away from the gym with holidays, a move and other matters to attend to but I assure you they kept me on my feet and moving about constantly. Started back at the bootcamp gym this week after a month away and was surprised to see how easily I was able to get back into the routine. Not very sluggish at all.

Also, I found out that my gym coach has colitis as well. We talked about our own personal diets (he's a triathlete and takes lots of amino acids and lives in the gym). I had to school him a little bit on Crohn's-colitis which is what I have but it was good to have an understanding person face-to-face to talk about it and one who coaches me physically who will understand my limitations and how to push me even more now. It's interesting the contrast between us...him: colitis, lots of muscle build, triathlete, looks like the typical athlete. Me: crohn's, soft, supple, weak arms but determination lol.
01-08-2015, 05:19 PM   #171
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Moving to a new place is worth about 20 workouts! I definitely don't fault you for not hitting the gym while that was going on. The last time I moved was about 6 years ago, when we bought our house. We were excited to be going from an apartment to a house, but even so, moving was a nightmare. It was like, why do we own so much stuff? And why do we own so much HEAVY stuff?? So I'm sure you got some good exercise out of your move!

That's cool about your coach having colitis. Well, not cool for him of course, but it's cool that you've got someone training you who has experience with similar health challenges.
01-15-2015, 04:10 PM   #172
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Oh I did get the exercise from the move. I also now have to walk up 4 flights of stairs (no elevator) to get to my place. Talk about leg burn throughout the day hahaha. Yeah, not cool he has it, but I at least have someone I can relate to regarding one of my routine activities. We talk a lot about food lol.

Still slowly making progress but I have great results. I can now do about 10 assisted pullups instead of just one AND I have advanced to normal planks and a couple normal push-ups! . I feel like I look the same but yesterday a friend of mine said I look trimmer and this morning my gym coach said I looked like I was starting to get leaner. The scale hasn't changed nor have my clothes much so there's muscle building in there somewhere which is still good!

My kitchen at my new place is not allowed processed foods or sugars. If I desperately crave something like that I have to go out of my way to get it. Anything I eat at home must be made myself. I've really got to fine tune my portion control and balance though. I think a food journal and accurate measurements of foods is my February goal.

I can see that getting older and a health condition is starting to make my fitness progress a much slower process than it has ever been but I'm still committed and will happily accept whatever change I can keep up.
01-15-2015, 04:55 PM   #173
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Yes, I know what you mean about having slow progress which may be due at least in part to our health conditions. (I'm 35 and I haven't even really factored in age into my equation, personally I feel like my health issues and medications etc play a much larger part for me than my age does - I'm probably just in denial though about how rapidly middle age is approaching!) Yeah, sometimes progress in my overall fitness seems to be at a snail's pace. But any progress is progress nonetheless and should be celebrated! I'm quite similar to what you said, my weight hasn't really changed nor has my clothing size (except that I've had to get rid of some shirts because my biceps are now too big for the sleeves!). But I didn't actually need to lose weight, and my body has definitely changed and I've shifted some flab into muscle for sure. I actually kind of like how I look now and I've heard some positive comments (my hubby swears my butt looks better now than it did when we were first dating, when I was 19! Ha ha). So yes, even though progress can seem slow or almost nonexistent at times, it is still progress so keep going!

That's fantastic about having no processed foods at your new place, well done! And the 4 flights of stairs, phew! Do you have a fitness tracker at all? I just got a fitbit which tracks how many flights of stairs I walk up per day (it tracks a bunch of other things too, but the stairs thing in particular might be of interest to you). Because of my fitbit thing, I've been taking the stairs rather than the elevator at work even though it's exhausting (to be fair, I've had the flu for a few weeks now and my lung capacity is currently not so great, so cardio type stuff wipes me out almost immediately lately). It's definitely motivating and something like that might help you visualize your progress in a different way if you could see the numbers of what you've accomplished that day. Just a thought for you.
01-15-2015, 05:40 PM   #174
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Congrats on the nice butt! :P

Just finding a steady health routine right now with all of these life changes I have going on some suddenly and some planned is what's most important. I would love to see the scale go down faster but I can accept at least for right now that it may take a little bit more time.

I have been thinking about the fitbit recently. My friend who is very overweight and desperately trying to lose pounds for health reasons just got one to complement the diet plan her doctor has her on. I previously used an app that counted steps taken and congratulated you when you met certain milestones. What I really like about her fitbit is how it tracks her sleep. I would love to know what kind of sleep I'm actually getting. The only downside to a fitbit for me is I never wear watches or bracelets except for very special occasions which is rare (once or twice a year) so I don't know if I could manage wearing that fitbit all of the time. But I'm still thinking about it. Weighing if it is ultimately worth the cost and inconvenience to my wrist lol.
01-16-2015, 10:52 AM   #175
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
They do make fitness trackers that aren't in wristband form - I have one! I have a fitbit "one" which is actually a clip-on. (There are two clip-on models of the fitbit - the "zip" is basically only a pedometer, whereas the "one" tracks sleep and other things as well.) As for the fitbit "one" - you do wear it in a soft fabric wristband when you sleep and that's how it tracks your sleep. But that's the only time you wear it in a wristband, when you're not sleeping you just clip it on to your pants or whatever. The "one" seemed to get better reviews on amazon than the fitbit "flex" (wristband) so that was my main reason for going with the clip rather than the wristband - it's my understanding that the "flex" wristband also does not have an altimeter, so it can't count how many flights of stairs you've gone up. The "one" does have an altimeter and does count stairs so that was another selling point for me. I'm not sure if the "flex" has a sleep tracker or not but I seem to recall that it does not. Long story short, my understanding is that the "zip" and the "flex" are both essentially just fancy pedometers, whereas the "one" has the added features of stairs & sleep tracking, and that's why I got that one.

Anyway, do some reading on the various fitness trackers that are out there - there's a lot besides just fitbits. There are quite a number of fitness trackers on the market right now with a variety of features so read some reviews. None of them are quite perfect yet - all of them require you to log your food if you want to see calories in vs. calories out (I'd love a fitness tracker that just automatically knows how many calories I've taken in on a given day!) so that part is kind of a pain. Only a few fitness trackers are capable of checking things like heart rate (my understanding is, it has to be rather tight on your wrist to check your heart rate so that would get annoying and uncomfortable pretty quick). Some track sleep and some do it better than others. Some are waterproof and some are not. And so on. So, go read a bunch of reviews - that's what I did! Good luck!
01-29-2015, 10:28 AM   #176
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
So I mentioned the possible fitbit purchase to a group of people and it turns out a friend of mine has a Jawbone UP fitness tracker that she received as a gift and never opened/never plans to use. She said she'd give it to me for free (how cool is that!) so I think I'm going to give that one a test drive and see if it's a good fit for me.

Still making it to the gym. I've been pushing myself a bit more with the goal of getting to bootcamps 3-4 days/week instead of my typical 2 days/week routine. The pounds won't budge but I'm still seeing strength and muscle development. And today I did a monkeybar exercise and managed to fully cross over to one new bar of the monkeybars! It sounds like nothing but never in my life have I been able to do any sort of monkeybar activities (definitely something I missed out on in childhood). Slow progress overall but progress nonetheless.

I'm going to rest for a day or two....with the additional day of exercise and the amount of ongoing activity I've had going on I think my body is needing a rest. As far as weight loss goes my diet is steady getting more veggie focused though I fail every other day with sweets or something else indulgent. I also think I need to mix it up as my bootcamps are primarily focused on strength training and I need to find a way to get some extra cardio into my routine. I've purposely walked a lot this week to get some mild cardio in between the bootcamps and I feel like i've done my body good.

Also I noticed that the combination of exercise, simpler diet and more sufficient sleep is easing my constant gas issues. The gas is still present, but it's not an all day inconvenience to me and those around me like it has been in the recent past.
01-29-2015, 10:58 AM   #177
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Keep in mind that muscle is denser & heavier than fat - so even though the lbs on the scale may say the same number, it sounds like you're definitely slimming down and getting more toned. That's a good thing! So don't get discouraged, you're making progress and you just need to look at the big picture, don't just get bogged down by the number on the scale by itself.

Congrats on getting a fitness tracker for free, that's awesome! I don't know much about that one except that my boss has a Jawbone UP and she seems to really like it. Apparently it gives a little vibration if you've been idle for an hour? I'm not such a fan of that feature, I sit at work all day and I don't need something buzzing on my wrist every hour for 8 hours straight. Other than that, though, it sounds like it's a really decent tracker and it seems to have a better sleep tracker than my fitbit does (my boss raves about the awesome sleep tracker on her Jawbone). Have fun with it!

Don't worry so much about your diet and "failing" by having sweets, either. I was reading something that Jillian Michaels had said, she's a celebrity fitness trainer and she's super fit and someone that I admire. Anyway, she had said that about 80% of her diet is good, clean, healthy food, and 20% is junk, treats, snacks, etc. She said it's impossible to stick to a perfect diet all the time and it's totally okay to allow yourself a little bit of junk or sweets each day as long as you stick to mostly healthy food otherwise. I really like that outlook, because I know I would fail in about 3 seconds if I tried to cut out all junk food forever. But the 80/20 ratio sounds totally do-able in comparison. So don't beat yourself up too much, it sounds like you're doing about 90/10 if you're only having junk food every other day.
01-29-2015, 11:46 AM   #178
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I definitely see where you are coming from, I have to admit though my concerns I express about my weight loss mostly come from these things:

I think my metabolism is slowing and it is very easy to put the pounds back on now compared to the past. Also, I have in my past and still a bit in my present been guilty of overindulgent periods/lack of self control when it comes to food that I'm learning to control. Even if I eat healthy, it's still unhealthy as I sometimes eat far more than I should over an extended period of time. It's a binge session and usually happens during stressful or very bored moments. I've started talking to personal coaches to help get it in order a bit more and make it easier to combat when the urges hit as I'm trying to make a lifestyle change. Its very much a mental thing to tackle and affects me more than I let on at times.

I measure myself periodically with measuring tape. My mid-section is definitely slimming down but my lower body (gut/hips/butt/thighs) which is where I carry the majority of my weight hasn't budged yet even with all of the exercising I do. Historically I have to work very hard to get my body in a position where it's able to tackle the lower half. I'm 190 lbs., a pear shape with a high body fat percentage (35%) mostly accumulated in my lower half. If you looked at a photo of me waist-up you would think I'm very skinny but if you looked at me waist-down I could be categorized as overweight and do wear plus-sized pants.

I'll get to it eventually. The important thing is I'm still seeing progress no matter how long it's taking to finally show. But it's definitely something I need to be more mindful of especially as I get older.
02-20-2015, 11:51 AM   #179
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
The pounds are starting to come off. I'm 185lbs to date. I had to change my routine up a little to realize what I was doing wrong. I was doing the bootcamp and was building strength/endurance but not enough cardio. So I switched to his other bootcamp class which is just as challenging but adds more cardio and supplements it with increments of strength training and voila! I toggle between the two classes but mostly do the cardio-focused one now. I'm still learning new exercises every week through the boot camps which challenges my body and reduces boredom. And it's turning out to be an especially great stress relieving activity for me lately. I go 2-3 times weekly and that's plenty. I do something very light in between those days or simply make sure to stretch with the foam roller and get some rest.

I also have shifted to a diet that focuses a lot more on vegetables cooked in a way that my body digests them more easily. I have discovered I love roasted vegetables. I also sautee them a lot now too which is good. I have difficulty with raw veggies so the oven and stove are my friends in this area. I am preparing about 90% of my meals at home. This calls for more clean eating and control over ingredients. I'm making sure I have a good balance of protein, carbs and healthy fats. The food scale I bought is also teaching me a lot more about portion sizes. I learned with the food scale that I was being VERY generous with my dry pasta servings. I now know what one serving looks like and though it looks much smaller than I normally eat, I'm still very full and satisfied from the meal.

I've discovered I like eggplant and make mini pizzas out of it instead of using crust. If it is cooked a certain way I am more willing to eat and enjoy it.
02-20-2015, 01:56 PM   #180
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
That's great that you've found a good balance of what type of exercise is working best for you! And yes, rest is good - it'll help heal your muscles and you'll be better able to do the next workout. Those mini eggplant pizzas also sound kind of amazing - I like eggplant parmesan so mini pizzas don't sound like that much of a stretch. Do you have a recipe or do you literally just slice the eggplant, put sauce & cheese & toppings on, and bake it?