• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Anyone else trying mesalamine meds other than Delzicol

Hi all!
I had a nice run with Asacol but my insurance wont cover Delzicol until I have tried Lialda and Apriso first. Lialda gave me such crazy joint pain that I couldn't walk so now I am waiting on a new script for hopefully Delzicol but possibly Apriso. Does the Apriso give anyone arthritis like the Lialda does? I only knew Lialda did that by seeing it posted here...my rheumy and my physical therapist both missed that when I asked them why my 37 year old knees felt more like 97 year old ones!
Thanks!

I was taken off of Delzicol today due to having horrible headaches when I took it. I am starting on Pentasa.

I started Pentasa on Friday after failing Lialda. Hope it works for you...so far I'm not seeing much improvement but I might do better next week when I am on a full dose.

valleysangel92

Staff member
I am currently taking pentasa, along with prednisolone. I am taking 2g a day and unfortunately I don't think that it is making much of a difference for me. I did start to feel a little better, but as I started reducing my steroids things got progressively worse to the point I had to call my nurse and let them know. I'm back up to 20 mg of prednisolone now, and have to stay on that dose until I see my consultant next week (I was supposed to be on 5 mg by then). At the moment I have not been told if I will remain on pentasa, but I think that they might start me on azathioprine if I continue to relapse while reducing steroids.

Remember that these medications are pretty mild as far as IBD meds go, and they can take some time to have a noticeable effect, so don't discount it yet.

I am not expecting miracles with any of the 5 ASA options...if my insurance ever takes away my Humira then I know I'm really in trouble. I'll update street next week how the full dose Pentasa goes.

I am currently taking pentasa, along with prednisolone. I am taking 2g a day and unfortunately I don't think that it is making much of a difference for me. I did start to feel a little better, but as I started reducing my steroids things got progressively worse to the point I had to call my nurse and let them know. I'm back up to 20 mg of prednisolone now, and have to stay on that dose until I see my consultant next week (I was supposed to be on 5 mg by then). At the moment I have not been told if I will remain on pentasa, but I think that they might start me on azathioprine if I continue to relapse while reducing steroids.

Remember that these medications are pretty mild as far as IBD meds go, and they can take some time to have a noticeable effect, so don't discount it yet.

My GI also said today that if nothing really starts to work in the next 2-3 weeks that I would be started on steriod therapy, so I can possibly end the current flare. If Pentasa does not work, we are going to move to Imuran. I really just want to get to the point of remission, but I don't like adding a million meds.

I am 6 weeks on Pentasa. It has worked great for my Crohns. However I have had significant joint pain this week. I know it's from the Pentasa. Does anyone know if the joint pain will eventually subside? I don't want to stop the Pentasa as it is working great.