• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I ran today!

First time in a long time! Hallelujah! I'm slower than cold molasses going up a hill and the -20 temperature bugged my bum hip, but one step at a time. Remicade is bringing the old Alli back :) just wanted to share because clearly I am excited! :D

rygon

wow that is extreme running in those temps!! Glad you are back jogging and hope it goes well. Its good to be exercising again isnt it :)

hawkeye

Staff member
My wife and I fine it easier to run in the cold versus the summer heat. The secret is not to dress too heavy.

Hawkeye, I was logging 100km a week a few winters ago when I lived in New Brunswick in the -30 temps. I was having the season of my life. Before I started having Crohn's issues of course. I wish I had that me back. My old coach sent me an email a few weeks ago to so kindly remind me that I still hold a course record in NB.

Congrats - and double congrats for running in the cold (the temp never did me in, it was the lack of humidity on the lungs in cold air).

So I jinxed myself..I spent the morning on the toilet today and missed half a day of work. I'm hoping it's just a coincidence and it wasn't the run that triggered it. I haven't had a day like this in awhile. A friend of mine stopped stopped by my office today when I was at work and offered me a spot on his Cabot Trail Relay team. The CTR is in May, so now I really need to be running :-/

Congrats! That must be such a great feeling! I'm working on getting back to that point since my surgery. Good luck and keep at it!

Congratulations! I run every day , but not for the same reasons! Were that to occur I suspect there could be a rather unpleasant trail ! :ack:

So I jinxed myself..I spent the morning on the toilet today and missed half a day of work. I'm hoping it's just a coincidence and it wasn't the run that triggered it. I haven't had a day like this in awhile. ... CTR is in May, so now I really need to be running :-/
Congrats on the running part. I'm afraid my only motivation for running it's to avoid leaving a trail. Kayak polo, now there is a sport I like and I have my own self contained bucket.

All joking aside sustained exercise usually leaves me less runny. Milkshakes on the other hand, could fill a kayak in 3 hours after having one. Gatorade also gets me running. Just a thought but have you looked at what you use to rehydrate as a possible trigger target than the run itself?

Sent from my Android

I only use sports drinks when I'm cycling or training for a marathon. I only ran 7km, so I only drank water. For sports drink I use GU brew which was the result of much experimenting. My abdomen is quite swollen so I doubt water triggered it. Despite the swelling though, I did run again today.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
How are you feeling after your second run - still swollen, or better? Have you run again since? I hope your body allows you to keep running!

I have now run 4 times, 6 easy kilometres this morning. Abdomen is still swollen though, gone down a little today but I have had diarrhea all day. Running def didn't help that, so I ran on a treadmill, close to the bathroom.

rygon

I get that as well if I havent ran for a while. Maybe psyillium husk will help? I find it does go away if you keep up the exercise regularly, so hopefully in a week or two you will be back to normal

I don't know if psyllium husk would do anything more than make me feel like vomiting more than I already feel like vomiting. Slightly annoyed that these symptoms have returned, I was feeling so good last week.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Have you tried psyllium? Personally it has done me a lot of good. I wouldn't drink it just before going on a run or anything like that, I usually drink mine mid-morning and work out in the afternoon or evening and that works just fine. I've been taking psyllium for quite awhile now and it does bloat me out if I take too much at once, but if you start slow (like one teaspoon daily), it might really help. That's just my experience with it anyway.

That race looks like fun, looking something within 5 hours driving distance of Kingston though. Montreal in September or Syracuse in October look promising.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Ah, I wasn't sure where in Ontario you are, and it's a big place so I thought I'd just throw a suggestion out there. Montreal sounds like a beautiful place, I've never been but would love to go someday. :)

hawkeye

Staff member
If I'm not mistaken, the Freddy Marathon has a 5km and is at the beginning of May.
That's the one I am looking at, a bit of a neat twist this year it might be worth doing 3...

http://www.runnb.ca/General/news.php?id=222

They did something similar with runs in Rockwood Park the past 3 years.

Went out this morning to get back into it did 10 sets of run 1 minute, walk 1 minute with no bad effects.....took awhile for the Garmin to find the satelites though

Awe, I wish I still lived in NB, so many great races!

I leave my Garmin behind when I'm first getting back into running, I haven't even charged mine yet since I started running again. though I did do a few runs on a treadmill this week and that is worse than running with a Garmin for me because I get obsessed with the numbers. 29 minutes even for a 6km run is not easing back into it.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
It's not necessarily a good thing to get obsessed with numbers. I used to lift weights back before I became ill, and I was all about the numbers then too. I knew exactly how much I could lift and I wasn't a bodybuilder or anything but I did feel a bit competitive with myself about it, if that makes sense. Now, I know my body has changed forever due to illness. I know I can't do what I did before, that healthy person is gone forever. Now I have to be content with just being able to get through a workout, regardless of how slow/fast I am or how much/little I can lift, etc. For me it's hardest going to the big gym I joined, I have to try really hard not to look at what other people are doing or how much they are lifting, etc. I have to remind myself all the time that my situation is unique to me and that my insides are different from most people's, so I just need to do what I can do and not compete with myself or anyone else. So, don't beat yourself up if you're slower now compared to what "healthy you" in the past would have done because you're a totally different person now. Try to be happy that you can run at all and try not to worry too much about the numbers. I know, I know, totally easier said than done. Being ill really makes you reprogram yourself inside and out, doesn't it!

I'm learning this the hard way. I spent a long time over the past two years beating myself up because I was not longer able to beat the people I use to be faster than. I would have a couple of good weeks or a couple of good months of running, and then suddenly go downhill again. I had no idea that there was actually an underlying health issue that could be the cause. I had had fistulas for a long time, but my docs in other provinces kept telling me that they were spontaneous occurrences. I was finally diagnosed in Novmber. My up and down performance now makes sense. Now I'm going to be grateful that I can still run. I still want to run a marathon this fall, but I'm not going to be worried about a personal best time, I just want to run it because the marathon is such a great event.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Spontaneous fistulas, huh? That's a neat trick. ;) Glad you finally got a proper diagnosis and are back on your feet. I'm still waiting for my proper diagnosis so I know how important it is! I'm glad to hear you're going to just enjoy running - have fun with the marathon training! :)

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
How's your streak going today? How's the abdomen doing? Is your body adjusting okay to running regularly again?

Day 6, only ran a few km today. Wasn't feeling well this morning. I have been having cycles of diarrhea and then not being able to go and nausea which is when I swell up. Today was a diarrhea day, though it only slightly helped with the swelling. Otherwise, my body feels fine, my legs feel great and my form has been awesome.

I registered for a 10k at the end of April.

hawkeye

Staff member
Thats great on the running front, not so great on the D front.

I did another set of 10 and ones on the treadmill Tuesday night, went on again last night but did not last long, I may have pulled something. Going to give it another try tonight

Thats great on the running front, not so great on the D front.

I did another set of 10 and ones on the treadmill Tuesday night, went on again last night but did not last long, I may have pulled something. Going to give it another try tonight[/]

Take it easy if you think you may have pulled something or have a slight twinge, else you could make it much worse. (Of course these are lessons that I always learn the hard way).

Man, I'm jealous! Because of fistula-related pain I haven't run since I was 17 (26 now). At that point I was doing about 30-35 miles a week.

These days I can't even walk that far because all the friction on the fistulas/fissures/skin tags along with drainage makes for a pretty uncomfortale time.

Good for you!

Copeland,

My skin tags hurt like hell when I walk, but for some reason they don't when I run. I'm not sure why, could be that I am too far in la la land that I don't notice. As for fistula pain, one have never really interfered with running. I even raced a 5km last summer with 2 setons and had fluke decent time.