• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Humira and a cold :-(

Ive been on humira since July and all seems pretty good I had a little flare up a few weeks ago but it seems to have settled down, but I have had this damn cold since mid September and it doesn't want to go! Firstly is this not clearing up because of humira? and secondly has anyone got any tips for getting rid of it?

Sorry for your troubles

I started methotrexate injections 6 weeks ago & have taken tablets the last 2 weeks
Burned my finger just before & it still won't heal

Started with a really bad earache on Sunday & saw my PCP Mon hoping to nip it in the bud

She said I can't take anything because of the Mtx

I did notice a warning on my bottle that said to avoid sick people, but I work with the public & somebody ever so nicely shared their germs with me.

PCP advised rest & fluids & had no prob hitting me with the $100 co pay

Wish I could offer you a suggestion, but I'm in the same boat

Droopy-Your PCP is wrong. You can take antibiotics when on methotrexate, just not trimethoprim or septrin which are folate antagonists. If it is a viral infection not much can be done but if bacterial then many antibiotics are ok.
Cosmic dave - what are you symptoms? If you have a persistent temperature you should see your GP for an assessment.

Droopy-Your PCP is wrong. You can take antibiotics when on methotrexate, just not trimethoprim or septrin which are folate antagonists. If it is a viral infection not much can be done but if bacterial then many antibiotics are ok.
Cosmic dave - what are you symptoms? If you have a persistent temperature you should see your GP for an assessment.
No temp just a stubborn cold

I was seen by a Nurse Practitioner, still wet behind the ears

Heavy yellow nasal discharge seems bacterial to me ?

Have a refill on an ab prescribed by my Dentist 6 months ago & half tempted to get it filled

My Dentist has asked me numerous times if I was ever tested for an immune system disorder
Seems she's working the wrong end :lol:

Heavy nasal discharge does not necessarily mean bacterial. The main clue to ongoing bacterial infection is a persistent temperature i.e. more than 3 days. Try regular steam inhalation with menthol or similar and equalising your ears/chewing. This will help drain your sinuses (steam) and middle ear (equalising/chewing)
A person on immunosuppressants should not really be assessed by a NP, should be a doctor.

Heavy nasal discharge does not necessarily mean bacterial. The main clue to ongoing bacterial infection is a persistent temperature i.e. more than 3 days. Try regular steam inhalation with menthol or similar and equalising your ears/chewing. This will help drain your sinuses (steam) and middle ear (equalising/chewing)
A person on immunosuppressants should not really be assessed by a NP, should be a doctor.

Doc called off sick
It was that or nothing
Nothing is what I got

NP said I needed a steroid nasal spray, but she said I couldn't have it due to the mtx

Been using chest rub & heat

Ive been on humira since July and all seems pretty good I had a little flare up a few weeks ago but it seems to have settled down, but I have had this damn cold since mid September and it doesn't want to go! Firstly is this not clearing up because of humira? and secondly has anyone got any tips for getting rid of it?

Hi Dave

I was told that I got a cold of felt one coming on then I should not take my next injection unless it has cleared.

Humira dampens your immune system making you more susceptible to bugs, and much harder to shift them.

I'd recommend giving yourself a 2 week break.

my little penguin

Staff member
My son has been on humira since April of this year and remicade before that.
He has had many colds as most kids do , strep throat and ear infections.
We have not had to stop humira or remicade for any of these.
He was also put on abx many times due to those again he did not have to miss an injection .
He also had his tonsils and adenoids out while on humira - those healed normally as well

We were told per his GI we only had to hold the shot if he had a fever at the time the shot was due .