• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Please i need urgent advice

Good day to all. I have been struggling with bm for 4 days i cant get anything to pass, this morning i were woken with terrible pain and still no bm. My legs now feel like jelly. I dont know what to do , i did take a laxative the day before yesterday. Please any advice

I tried phoning now but no one answers. Ron thats the thing i dont know if this is considerd a emergency , i dont know whats going on

Me also ron , not even straining does anything like nothing at all will happen, normally i struggle with diarrhea and go everyday. When this started i struggled alot the first day with some cramping but now its pain and no bm at all, and also sore to press on stomach

That won't help your problem. You may have a blockage. That can be life threatening.
Best get to An ER or some kind of medical facility very quickly.

It concerned me when you said it hurt to press on your stomach.
Fever or high pulse rate, lightheaded ness, might be as much of a concern as vomiting.
I am not a doctor and you need a dr. To check you over.

It concerned me when you said it hurt to press on your stomach.
Fever or high pulse rate, lightheaded ness, might be as much of a concern as vomiting.
I am not a doctor and you need a dr. To check you over.
Yes. You need a doctor to check you out.

fever i always get fever the day before yesterday got the chills again and this morning felt hot, yes if i press my stomach its sore and it stings to my navel. I just need to get hold of my GI

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
fever i always get fever the day before yesterday got the chills again and this morning felt hot, yes if i press my stomach its sore and it stings to my navel. I just need to get hold of my GI
What you should do is take yourself to an emergency room - if you do have a blockage, you should NOT wait - as you could end up with a life threatening situation such as a rupture. Playing telephone tag with your doctors' office can be wasting precious time that you could be getting treatment.

Also, I would not eat solid foods right now, only liquids, and note that tramadol can CAUSE CONSTIPATION - so that would be contra-indicated if you are having problems going to the bathroom.

What you should do is take yourself to an emergency room - if you do have a blockage, you should NOT wait - as you could end up with a life threatening situation such as a rupture. Playing telephone tag with your doctors' office can be wasting precious time that you could be getting treatment.

Also, I would not eat solid foods right now, only liquids, and note that tramadol can CAUSE CONSTIPATION - so that would be contra-indicated if you are having problems going to the bathroom.
I had a blockage five years ago and they had me on tpn.

take a look at what your ingesting, supplements etc, perhaps some kind of change brought on your constipation some types of fiber like cellulose have caused me issues before from certain supplements. Some people with IBD do experience constipation as well as diarrhea i know i have, but i have much more tendency to have diarrhea then constipation.

eliminate meat, white flour and refined sugar and increase your intake of whole wheat then wait another 4-5 days. the insoluble fiber can sometimes be enough to get things going again. i've been learning how food and diet affect my disease for seven years now. miralax can also be used for short term relief but getting your diet straight can be a better long term plan. By the way i've not had a blockage or surgery for the entire duration of my disease course of 6-7 years.

My husband was given tramadol for abdomen pain when he was flaring and it helped him. But I'm sure it wont help you have a bowel movement. Please go to the emergency room immediately. Lots of good wishes your way

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
If you're having extreme pain then I wouldn't wait to be seen or wait for vomiting to start. Blockages can be life threatening so if nothing is passing and you're in a lot of pain and becoming distended then you likely have a blockage. Vomiting and fever can come later and a fever may be a sign of a bowel perforation which would require surgery. I hope you're able to see someone soon Christi. Taking more laxatives at this point will likely make you vomit, we see it happen all too often on the forum. Stick with liquids only until you're able to be seen and keep us posted. :ghug:

I agree that you should go to an ER. An obstruction is a medical emergency. I had one before, and i was not vomiting either, but I had massive pain.

Thanks to everyones replies and support , got hold of GI nurse and said they cant do anything and should get something for bm as the clinic are closed. I took a enema went to bathroom very quikly? No bm after that

I am happy to report that i did had 2 bm today not the normal but its there, i do have a very tender llq and even when i move. I am now thinking that it could be a flare but my first time i got diagnosed were on my rlq so im lost

Im also so tired that i sit and someone talking to me i just fall asleep , i slept alot yesterday and today although i feel tired alot but this feels worse

they did do some tests a while back and last month my white count were 15 but now only see GI next month. So now it means i cant get pred or whatever cause they are closed now

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Are you on a liquid diet right now or a bland diet? Is your abdomen distended at all? Pain on your left side could be your colon. I hope your GI will run some tests on you. When was your last colonoscopy? If you're still having a lot of pain then you may want to stick to a liquid diet or at least soft and easy to digest foods like the BRAT (banana, rice, applesauce and toast) diet. Keep us posted.

Hi jen i do eat softer food now that can digest easy, yes my stomach are distended also. I had colonoscopy last year with diagnoses and a endoscopy early this year. Is it even possible for my colon to get affected

Thanks ron i just didnt know that it could spread that far so quikly. So its possible that is a new crohns flair in colon also. Does this mean meds are not working and need something else?

CD can progress quickly. My son was dxed with CD, the location being the terminal ileum at the IC valve. He required surgery last year.

He started humira in March of this year after he had a reaction to remicade due to antibodies. Both meds were in addition to injectable methotrexate.

A scope in August looked pristine but biopsies still showed microscopic inflammation at the surgical site. We added entocort.

He had a scope yesterday and visual inflammation was present in the small bowel, throughout colon and at the rectum.

Hopefully, when you report the symptoms to the GI he will request more tests and be able to adjust meds accordingly.

For two and half years it was located at the terminal ileum but the meds never could quite take care of it and he required surgery. That was August a year ago.

A follow up scope earlier this year, July or August, he had visually clean scopes but biopsies showed active CD inflammation at the surgical site.

The scope yesterday showed visual inflammation through small bowel, the whole of the colon and rectum.

So it went from microscopic at one location in small bowel to endoscopically visual throughout last part of small bowel to throughout colon and rectum in 5-6 months.

All while on meds

Thanks clash im so sorry about your son. I were diagnosed last year march so im not even at 2 years. Today its very sore cant walk breathing even makes me sore cant lift my leg again all the same as the first time

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Thanks clash im so sorry about your son. I were diagnosed last year march so im not even at 2 years. Today its very sore cant walk breathing even makes me sore cant lift my leg again all the same as the first time
Increasing your fluid intake can help move things along but if you're in pain and distended then you may want to stick with liquids only for a little while and see if that helps at all. Gut rest is known to be almost as effective as taking steroids to help reduce inflammation. You need to make sure that you're getting enough nutrition so if you can't afford supplement drinks then making your own soups and just drinking the broth will help. Again though if the pain becomes severe, you develop a fever, start vomiting, then you'll need urgent care because bowel obstructions can be life threatening if they aren't treated. Keep us posted.

Hi jen thanks how long does one need to be on liquid diet? Still pain fever seems fine 37.2 still have pain had nausea this morning but better for now

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hi jen thanks how long does one need to be on liquid diet? Still pain fever seems fine 37.2 still have pain had nausea this morning but better for now
That depends on the person. You should also inform your doctor that you're going on all liquids so they have a better idea of how serious your condition is and so they can monitor you if you're going on liquids for longer than a few days. A few days isn't really enough to help reduce inflammation so make sure you do this with your GI's or at least your general practitioner's guidance.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Thanks for the update. I hope they can figure out what's going on soon so you can get treatment. Keep us posted. :hug: