• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Red bumps from remicade

I've started remicade a few months ago, it's worked wonders I've finally been getting my life back to normal. But there's one problem, ever since I started remicade I've been getting these red bumps, they're a little itchy but not to bad, they're all over my arms, back and thighs I've been to the doctors to see what it was, she said it was a skin infection and not to worry, she put me on some anti biotics for a week and I've been taking them for 4 days now, and I've still been getting more of these bumps, so my question to you is did any of you get red bumps or somthing similar to this when you started remicade? If so how did you deal with it? Thanks for reading xoxo

Did you check with your gp or was it a dermatologist? I used to be on Remicade. I had to go off becauser of a lesion that wouldn't go away. I am not saying it is related. Did this doctor mention anything about lesions? Also, anytime I have been on antibiotic, I have been told to double up on probiotic. Are you on probiotics?

I checked in with my gi doctor and she said nothing about lesions nor probiotics. But I'm going for a follow up soon so hope I'll get some answers. Thanks.

my little penguin

Staff member
Check with a dermo who is familiar with crohns
Ds has sweets syndrome per dermo
His are itchy red lesions that look dark red like hives but stay in the same spot for about a week.
Abx will not help sweets syndrome

It's basically crohns on the skin
Dermo gave him
Colchicine to try with it the next time he breaks out

Definitely consult a derm doc. They can do a biopsy and can tell quite a bit from that. I had similar sx that didn't respond to steroids or antifungals. It ended up most likely being an allergic reaction to Remi so we've discontinued the med and symptoms have steadily improved.

Definitely consult a derm doc. They can do a biopsy and can tell quite a bit from that. I had similar sx that didn't respond to steroids or antifungals. It ended up most likely being an allergic reaction to Remi so we've discontinued the med and symptoms have steadily improved.
I don't know if this is related but I developed a lesion and had to discontinue Remicade.

Bufford

I spoke to my GP about these red spots and was told to get some Benadryl for them. I don't have many and they are only on my belly. Somewhat itchy and burny, and the itch is not confined only to the red dots. I just hope its not going to become Shingles.

I was told that this is a common side effect, and to monitor them. So far they have not spread. Yesterday I felt lousy on day 3 after the third infusion, today I feel somewhat better. Its the big experiment, if the relief is greater than the side effects I will continue, if not I will go back to natural methods. Diet, stress and pain control seem have worked the best in the longer term.

Bufford

Did you check with your gp or was it a dermatologist? I used to be on Remicade. I had to go off becauser of a lesion that wouldn't go away. I am not saying it is related. Did this doctor mention anything about lesions? Also, anytime I have been on antibiotic, I have been told to double up on probiotic. Are you on probiotics?
Been taking probiotics regularly for years, they do help, my digestion is pretty well balanced as a result. My GP recommended me to monitor the red bumps, she is not concerned unless it starts to become worse. Definitely a better day today, and want to go for a short cross country ski up the beaver pond system this afternoon in the bright sunshine we have today.