• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Watery ileostomy output

I was told that ileostomy output should ideally be of the consistency of porridge. Mine has been just that for the couple of months that I've had it. The only exception was when I had a partial blockage, which led to sudden outbursts of watery output.

But yesterday and today, although I've had about the same amount of output as usual, it's all been like water. I've no other symptoms and I'm sticking strictly to safe foods which I've eaten since the ileostomy with no problems (I'm not risking another blockage), so does it matter that it's watery?
What possible causes are there of watery output other than diet and blockages?

Mine is almost always thin water. I initially had problems keeping up with the watery output and dehydration, but that balanced itself out after several months. I very rarely have porridge consistency.

My Output seems to change daily. If I eat lots and take less fluid its a lot thicker, more fluid is obviously more water like. The only time time I have found problems is if its liquid and a bit stinky. The remaining length of your small bowel also plays a big part in what the consistency is like. If its short its going to be more fluid as the transit is a lot shorter. Colour is quite a good indicator too!
I wouldn't worry too much tho, if your feeling ok, have an appetite and you have output, all is probably hunky dory!

Thanks, I seem to be back to normal now.

I'm actually not really sure how much small intestine I have left. I thought I had practically all of it, but at my follow-up appointment with the surgeon, he said I was missing enough that absorbtion may become an issue.

Strangely mine said the same, I have tried to find out how much of mine was left and how much they took. Kept getting conflicting answers which angered me somewhat. Supposedly i have 1.4m left, I'm pretty sure my absorption has improved over the last few months, to start with it was shocking. Reading up it says it can take a year to up its game to a level where you are getting enough fluid and nutrients.
I'm pretty sure supplements will always be a part of my diet now.
Glad it's back to normal for you!

nogutsnoglory

I go from total brown water with a few tiny specks to full on porridge. Sometimes it's the food and others there is no rhyme or reason.

Ileostomies tend to be quite liquid as opposed to the thicker sister poop from
a colostomy. Did I just write that lol?

Nyx

Thicker sister poop....lol!!! My poop is hard as rocks usually...I don't know how you guys deal with that liquid stuff, you're stronger than I am!

Ew. Hahaha!!

I think my (loop) ileostomy is quite high up as far as how much small bowel is actually being used versus the rest that is just sitting quietly, and so not a whole lot of it is functioning. My output is almost always a lovely green.

nogutsnoglory

2th I am also usually green. Kinda gross. For me it's bile, and I am trying green juices which stain my poop neon green lol.

I find usually that my output goes very watery and higher than usual if I have a bug of some sort. Infact just before Christmas I was in hospital on a drip for a week because my stoma was constantly spurting out water due to a nasty bug.

Best thing to do is to keep you're fluids and salt intake up to help with rehydration but if it carries on and starts to get out of control going to the hospital is always a wise move imo.

For those who have consistently watery output, what's your diet like? And do you use gelling products to help solidify the output a bit?

I've only had liquid output when I was in the hospital and I found it a nightmare to manage, so during my last hospital stay I used a gelling sachet (Okayed by the nursing staff) to make things a bit easier until I was able to eat more and get my regular output back.

nogutsnoglory

I use ilesorb which I find is pretty good but it only breaks down the sachet sometimes. I guess it depends on what I eat because some poop doesn't dissolve them. I tried other companies but Ilesorb works best.