• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Does Perianal Abscess need an urgent surgery to drain the pus?

In China, surgeons usually take immediate surgery to drain the pus since the pain from abscess is so strong.

3 months ago, I went to a small hosp in Australia, and the doctor did the same thing to me. Drain the abscess the next day after I went to the emergent department.

Right now, my case is responsible by a big hosp since the small one does not have gastro department.
The surgeon in big hosp booked me with a day admission a week later after finding I have another abscess. Oh, my god. Could you image that I have to live with Abscess for a week? After 3 days, I really cannot stay at home and the pain is killing me. Today, I went to emergency department of the big hosp. The triage nurse blames me why not stay at home, taking pain killer and waiting for surgery 3 days later. I really have nothing to say. The emergent doctor said, if I have too much pain, asking GP for a stronger pain killer. If I have fever or shiver, they can give me antibiotics by infusion. Since the abscess is not life threating, there is no way for them to escalate my case to surgery department. What a joke! I feel so lost.

Your right it is a joke. I'm going through the same thing, although l don't have crohn's as far as l know of. It's been a week since l found out my perrirectal abscess had returned and l still have to have a CT before l see the surgeon. I was told by my GP if l start getting severe pain, nausea, vomiting or fever to head straight to the hospital.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Lady Organic

Staff member
yeah with any signs of fever return to hospital it would mean the infection is going systemic. that would be a ''real'' emergency. wishing you well and hang on.

I wrote an email to my IBD nurse and she agreed I should be examined by surgeon soon. So on 16 June, the surgeon examined me at ER and he said I need an immediate surgery. On 17th June, the surgeon did drainage operation. He said the situation is not good but he sorted everything out and put setons on my every fistula, except one, which is so high level that he could not find the internal hole in the operation. He said he hope Remicade will heal all my fistula, otherwise he will try to use colonoscopy to find the internal hole of my high level fistula.

Glad you got it done. How are you feeling?
Those setons make me feel funny. But at least, I don't feel pain anymore. Thank my IBD nurse and my surgeon. The pains from perianal abscess is able to kill people. Never want to experience it again!! But who knows:confused2: