• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Juicing Club

Gianni

Hey Guys.

I've seen just about every type of treatment club on this forum so I figured I'd make another club for those including juicing into their treatment plan:)

Whether you are lightly juicing, or juicing as a lone treatment for your Crohn's, please post your experiences here on this thread so we can give those newcomers a better understanding and idea to the ins and outs of juicing:D!

Feel free to post recipes, results, experiences, symptoms, concerns, successes, failures etc etc.

As people post recipes I will be categorizing them here

Gianni

Gianni, I am curious about the juicing thing - does this remove a lot of the fibre content that causes digestive problems ? Since I had a hemicolectomy I can't manage fibrous food like carrots and many other vegetable I used to eat. I hate leaving this type of nutrient out of my diet and I am wondering how the juicing gets round this. May be a dumb question but I don't want to buy a juicer and find I have the same problems as before with veg.

Gianni

Gianni, I am curious about the juicing thing - does this remove a lot of the fibre content that causes digestive problems ? Since I had a hemicolectomy I can't manage fibrous food like carrots and many other vegetable I used to eat. I hate leaving this type of nutrient out of my diet and I am wondering how the juicing gets round this. May be a dumb question but I don't want to buy a juicer and find I have the same problems as before with veg.
Not a dumb question at all.

Yes juicing will seperate the juice from the fiber and eject the fiber. The juice will be a water consistancy and will still maintain all of the great vitamins, phytochemicals, minerals, and enzymes that would be found in the fruit or vegetable's raw state.

You can read more about why I think juicing is great for Crohn's Here.

Gianni

great idea..juicing club sounds good. I have never tried juicing but the idea seems good as I a,m sure that we we'll be able to absorb more minerals and vitamins.

scottsma

Hi Kat-y,I have trouble with fibre and worried about not getting the goodness of veggies,so I started juicing about 5 mnths ago.Best thing I've done.I only juice once a day but use quite a lot of stuff.Carrot and apple is lovely.I plan to do it twice a day in the New Year,that's my resolution.If I have to miss a juicing for some reason I really miss it.I also find myself nibbling the veg while prepping and I never really liked them before.Good Luck.I got my juicer from Argos:soledance:

I am in the juicing club !
I juice at least once a day, usually in the morning for breakfast and I also really miss it if I go away or anything. I feel so much better since starting it , which was even before I started remicade.
Just today the doc told me that my inflammation markers are back down to normal levels , which is great and I am sure at least in part down to the benefits of juicing.

:)

I love juicing. I always feel my best when i'm juicing, and I tend to take recipes from whole foods. For example, today I had a drink with Celery, Pineapple, Ginger, and Flax Oil. It was really good! I also love juicing my own oranges and making fresh orange juice - it's DELICIOUS. :)

I got a new manual juicer yesterday and tried juicing today for the first time..though I wasnt happy with the juicer I think the juice was delicious...I used 1 big size pomegranate, 1 Indian gooseberry and one large sweet potato.

scottsma

Can you tell me please,is it better to let the juice digest for an hour or so before eating?I have a banana first thing,walk the dog, then juice,but I like to have meusli before 11am and that keeps me going until my main meal of the day.

Gianni

Can you tell me please,is it better to let the juice digest for an hour or so before eating?I have a banana first thing,walk the dog, then juice,but I like to have meusli before 11am and that keeps me going until my main meal of the day.
It's really hard to say. It is a great question that I continually try to figure out as well. Some sources will say yes it's better to avoid eating like 20-30 minutes after a juice but I don't feel much of a difference either way. I would avoid foods that bloat you after juicing though. Having said that I think it is better to avoid eating before your morning juice but a banana isn't worrisome.

Out of curiosity do you have fruit with your meusli (if I'm remembering right what meusli is), if so do you notice any bloating after eating it?

Gianni

hi scottsma ! I think better absorption takes place if the juice is taken in empty stomach...it doesnt really matter if you take something after it...but avoiding any food for 10 to 15 minutes atleast seems a good idea.

scottsma

It's really hard to say. It is a great question that I continually try to figure out as well. Some sources will say yes it's better to avoid eating like 20-30 minutes after a juice but I don't feel much of a difference either way. I would avoid foods that bloat you after juicing though. Having said that I think it is better to avoid eating before your morning juice but a banana isn't worrisome.

Out of curiosity do you have fruit with your meusli (if I'm remembering right what meusli is), if so do you notice any bloating after eating it?

Gianni
I do eat some fruits but not with meusli,although there are dried fruits incorporated.I don't have any bloating with meusli.thanks for your advice.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I would like to join this club. :) I don't juice super often, maybe once a week on average. I juice more in the summer as it is easier to get fresh fruits and veggies then. I did have juice for breakfast this morning, just using stuff we had in the house which was apples and carrots. I will say that I *hate* most things that contain apples, I cannot stand apple pie or apple cider or store-bought apple juice. But fresh apples in the juicer, it's just a totally different taste and I actually really like it. It tastes like freshness and health, whereas stuff like apple pie or apple cider just tastes like nasty rotten mushy apples to me. :p I usually only do one or two apples at most in my juices, just for a bit of added sweetness.

For those who mentioned putting a sweet potato into their juicer, do you use a certain kind? My hubby tried putting a sweet potato into our juicer once but it just sort of turned to mush and didn't really work. Maybe he just used a bad potato?

I am in the juicing club!!! I juice every morning, either a green juice or a carrot/beet variation have amped up to 2-3 times a day as I a awaiting a surgery date to remove a stricture that is cramping down more and more each day as I taper off pred. fresh jucie is my lifeblood. eating a sort of "alternative" low residue diet now (meaning Im gluten free and dont eat processed foods like jello, white bread, cereal, or other things you find recommended on low residue diets) making lots of homemade nut mylks with irish moss, avacado cacao pudding, goat yogurt, so much squash, homemade bone broths, miso broth, eggs, for grains Im down to occasional rice bread and rice pasta and buckwheat ( I make sprouted pancakes out of it). thinking I need to get serious about a juice fast as Im getting a little worried about my angry stricture and as of yet unscheduled surgery date.....

For those who mentioned putting a sweet potato into their juicer, do you use a certain kind? My hubby tried putting a sweet potato into our juicer once but it just sort of turned to mush and didn't really work. Maybe he just used a bad potato?
I use regular sweet potatoes (organic) and have never had a problem juicing them. Perhaps it's more your juicer than the type of sweet potato. I love the texture that sweet potatoes add, it adds a smooth, silky texture. But I learned the hard way...peel them first. I hated the potato peel smell.

@Cat-a-Tonic : yes..you need to peel the sweet potato first as ThanksP said. Sweet potato can easil be juiced...I had a problem while juicing due to the kind of juicer I am using..but I guess any other better juicer would do the job easily.

I just found a juicer in my house! No one knows who's it is or what its doing there but I just a glass of carrot juice, yum!

I am having reallyhard time with my manual juicer...I dont have enough money to go for an expensive juicer at this moment so ..I am thinking of using the blender jar that came with the mixer/grinder at home. has anyone tried that ?

Gianni

Hey sid,

Yeah unfortunately those manual juicers can undo the effects of the juice since it was so stressful getting the juice in the first place! :(

Blenders are still really beneficial especially if you can handle fiber. I believe that smoothies are arguably more beneficial than juices for normal healthy individuals who aren't dealing with an ailment.

Unfortunately not all blenders can handle the tough vegetables so you'll have to try it and see.

I really want to start a sponsorship program where we can lend out juicers to individuals on here who can't afford one, but I fear that is far down the line.

Gianni

Thats a noble idea Gianni. But yes..that is not easy to bring into practice and might take a long time. But really nice of you to think of it.

Gianni

Juice fasts are amazing but it is perfectly fine to eat while juicing. Most of the time I just add juice to my daily regimen, no need to go to the extreme like a juice fast in order to get some great nutrients:)

If you are interested in a juice fast, I will be hosting another community one in January sometime.

scottsma

we go caravaning quite a lot during the summer,so these would be ideal.Juicing isn't viable when you're just a step up from camping.I took my powdered organic wheatgrass and I have tried Baobab powder,but this would be better.

I just started a juice fast and I just finished my third day! I think my goal is going to be 30 days. I'm juice fasting for my crohns (it hasn't responded to medicines and I just had a surgery consulation) and for the horrible acne prednisone gave me! A few weeks before I started the juice fast I was taken off all of my medication and I started eating cannabutter and my arthritis went away and my inflammation as of last week is gone! :D So my hopes for this juice fast is just overall health benefits and hopefully my acne will get better. However, I have had some nasty juices and it feels like day 30 is so far away! I have a few questions though. Will the diarrhea ever slow down and will I have to pee this often the whole time? Also, what are the major differences between a 30 and 60 day juice fast?

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
Oh my this holiday food!!! I am definitely doing another juice fast this weekend! LOL. Hopefully it will also help me in fighting this terrible cold/sinus/flu garbage I have been unable to get rid of all month because I'm sure this current holiday diet isn't helping one bit

scottsma

I know what you mean,I don't even LIKE most of the food I bought.I got carried along on the hype,and because it's there I feel I should eat it.Only missed a couple of daily juices though.But if I eat too much rubbish,I crave fresh food and drink.

Wow ! A truly amazing juicing story - ( with some slightly graphic pictures).

http://ajuicingstory.com/the-story/

Just a quick note to say, I don't advise anyone to stop taking meds without consulting their doctor. But do encourage them to think about what they are putting into their body if they want to give it a chance to heal itself - especially health giving juice instead of junk).

Last edited:
Hey can I join? I am buying a juicer from a friend who is selling it for £10 :luigi: Really happy about it as I can't tolerate shop bought juice ( too concentrated? too sweet? ) and love the idea of juicing veggies.
It's a Jack Lallane of some sort!

Bought my juicer today and made a delicious Redhead juice this afternoon, thanks Gianni and everyone else supplying recipes on this site!

I am really trying to overhaul my diet for my overall health and to help my Crohn's, I'm also battling a nasty cold so hoping that adding fresh juice every day will help kick its butt!

I'm on a low residue/low fiber diet as per doc - I have long segment of "stricturing" with my small intestine and was diagnosed with crohn's Nov 2012. I believe doc wants me on low residue for life to avoid surgery, if possible... just my guess. I'll ask him at my next appointment (next week). It looks like juicing is fine for low fiber/low residue from what I've read here. Right???

I want the *easiest*, less parts, less mess to clean and not HUGE juicer! Is that too much to ask for? LOL! What do you guys recommend? I want to join the juicing club since I'm very limited on fruits and veggies. :dance:

Thanks!

This is my juicer.
Takes whole or large pieces of fruit and veg - no pre-cutting needed.
Very easy to clean, just rinse off the parts most days then give it a good soapy wash at the weekend when I have time.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-HR1861-Whole-Juicer-Aluminium/dp/B0007XHGHA/ref=pd_sim_sbs_kh_1
Thanks, Beach Bum! I don't know if we have that brand in the US but it looks exactly like another one someone else told me to check out - Breville juicer.

http://www.fernsnutrition.com/juice_fountain.html#ikon

Hi guys! First off, thanks for creating this thread. I just got a juicer for Christmas and am loving it. I'm convince it will save my life this year. I've been trying some of theses recipes... they're awesome. BBBUUUTTTT i just took a shot of ginger juice ... and i have to say that is THE worst. I actually like ginger and am all for it's benefits... but wow that was stronger than any alcohol i've ever tried. Think i'm gonna stick to mixing it in with the juices for now and hope to get use to that lol Definitely considering the juice fast and am loving all these ideas and comments. Just one question... or looking for any suggestions since some of you have been doing this a little longer than i have: If i understand correctly, it's best to drink the juices right away to ensure maximum nutrients, etc... My problem is that i work an 8-4 job. Other than bringing my juicer and chopped up veggies, how can i enjoy my juices at work? Is it still nutritiously beneficial to prepare them at the beginning of my dad and bring them to work?

Glad you are enjoying your juicing, I haven't ever been brave enough for a pure ginger shot I must admit :) But I mix ginger and lemon into my juices all the time to pep them up a bit.

The ideal situation is to juice and drink straight away, but of course this is not always practical.
I have a plastic coffee mug/flask which I take to work for a snack juice, which I pop a couple of icecubes in to keep it cool till I am ready for it.
When I am doing a full juice diet I have a larger Thermos type flask to take instead. I think air tightness is the key and store in a fridge if possible.

Happy juicing :)

I picked up my pre-loved juicer on Sunday and made my first juice that evening: cucumber, spinach and apple. Yum, yum, yum - so light and refreshing and green! It is just so nice to be able to drink juice again.

I just started juicing this weekend and I'm so excited about it! I bought the Breville Juice Fountain Compact at Best Buy for $99. Right now, I'm juicing once a day in the morning. I love fruits/veggies and have missed them since being diagnosed in August with Crohns in my small intestine. The low residue/low fiber diet restrictions are no fun. I'm currently not doing well with meds and may be looking at a resection. Recently, just about everything I eat causes me pain so I'm enjoying getting some goodness from juicing without the pain.

Top suggestion on the Ginger shots Gianni! I just had one, burned my entire body but completely unblocked my nose which has been stuffy for weeks now.

Ive been juicing daily for almost two years but nevr have done exclusively juice but lately IM not sure whats up, seems like something is shifting or changing in my gut and Im really losing my appetite, no food is very appealing. I can eat breakfast, then if I try to eat any during the day its like force feeding myself. All I want is juice. Its such a weid change bc typically Im in the mindset that if my crohns is "dormant" or less active I need to eat as much good stuff as possible ... but yeah right now I feel like my body is telling me its finally time for a juice fast....

I just had my first experiance juicing, i made myself a Green Lemonade..

oh my days! it tasted amazing!!

im going to wait 24hours or so to see how my body reacts to it, but cannot wait to try another, im so happy i found out about juicing and so grateful for everyone submitting recipes and especially Gianni for the effort he puts into this section, can tell how passionate about it you are!

love it.

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
Please do share that green lemonade recipe. Sounds AMAZING!

I just had my first experiance juicing, i made myself a Green Lemonade..

oh my days! it tasted amazing!!

im going to wait 24hours or so to see how my body reacts to it, but cannot wait to try another, im so happy i found out about juicing and so grateful for everyone submitting recipes and especially Gianni for the effort he puts into this section, can tell how passionate about it you are!

love it.

KWalker

Here you go CrohnsChicago:

Green Lemonade
3-4 Apples - Fuji is good, organic
1 Lime or Lemon – I like lime (use the rind also if organic, if not organic, peel it but leave the white )
fresh peeled ginger to taste- its hot so try a 1/4- 1/2 inch depending on width
Kale – 1-4 leaves with stems, depending on size and black kale is my favorite
1-2 stalks celery – optional but good for eliminating water retention

Personal question: How the hell do you peel a lime!? lol I don't know if it's because they're so small or because I don't have nails but I cannot peel a lime/lemon. I just end up cutting it in half and then squeezing it. I'm probably losing so much by doing so

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
I already feel quite refreshed just reading the ingredients lol.

Thanks! I'm going to try it this weekend when I replenish my juicing supplies.

Also, what i do with lemons and limes is cut them in quarters and then just cut off the rind. its easier that way for me at least.

Here you go CrohnsChicago:

Green Lemonade
3-4 Apples - Fuji is good, organic
1 Lime or Lemon – I like lime (use the rind also if organic, if not organic, peel it but leave the white )
fresh peeled ginger to taste- its hot so try a 1/4- 1/2 inch depending on width
Kale – 1-4 leaves with stems, depending on size and black kale is my favorite
1-2 stalks celery – optional but good for eliminating water retention

Personal question: How the hell do you peel a lime!? lol I don't know if it's because they're so small or because I don't have nails but I cannot peel a lime/lemon. I just end up cutting it in half and then squeezing it. I'm probably losing so much by doing so

Thanks to Gianni , am in love with juicing now...I was already in remission, but didnt gain much weight..but I am gaining some weight as well, after I have started weight training and regular juicing, which I think is allowing my guts to absorb more nutrients.

BTW anyone tried wehat grass juice?? I am confused as I use my blender for juicing now but some artickes on the web says blenders shouldnt be used for wheat grass.

Just made and drank about 16 oz of the following.....

Apple
Pear
Carrot
Kale
Orange
With ginger root

It was good. No trouble downing it!

Joined the club yesterday! I'm recently diagnosed and haven't gotten treatment yet. Going the 27th for followup with my GI to see what he wants to put me on. I've decided to try juicing as a supplemental thing because I know I'm woefully deficient in a lot of areas of my diet.
Playing around with some different recipes and found some pretty tasty sounding ones on here. So we shall see.
Trying the Red Head recipe tomorrow morning, sounds pretty awesome since I love sweet potatoes and carrots.

I have just signed up to this 5 day juice fast.

You don't have to buy anything although there is a app available if you think it would help.

There is a free on-line 5 day plan (typically for a glossy they are focused on the weight loss- but as we know it aids all kinds of health issues) and Jason will be posting inspirational messages every day. :)

Obviously those of us with fibre issues will have to jig things round a bit when the plan calls for smoothies.

http://www.bigjuicespringclean.com/

http://www.closeronline.co.uk/Diets...ummy-in-5-days-with-juicing-diet-recipes.aspx

I started my first 7 day juice fast this morning. Started with apple, carrot, celery, romaine. I'm also including grass fed gelatin into my fast to increase the gluatmine in my system to help heal the gut, so during the day I drank two cups of peppermint tea with gelatin, followed by a lemon water.

Headache started about an hour or so ago, so I figured it was time for "lunch." Noticing way more saliva production now, wonder why, maybe detox.

I'm drinking a 12oz fresh carrot, apple, beet spinach, cucumber, parsley, lemon, ginger, kale celery juice from my local organic juice bar.

Tonight for dinner I'll probably have carrot, celery, romaine and possibly add some ginger and lemon. May spend some time in the sauna tomorrow to help with the detox symptoms, and if necessary, an enema. Whatever it takes is what I'm telling myself.

Day 1 is halfway done and I have no idea how I'm going to make it a week without solid food, but, I'm determined, so it is what it is.

The first couple of days are the worst as you "withdraw" from all the usual stuff you eat - sugar caffeine ect.
Then suddenly it is easy and you wonder what you were worried about.
Good luck :)

Thank you for the support. I'm gonna stick to it no matter what (barring any extreme health emergencies), but I gotta admit; I'm hungry.

Question: what role does probiotics have in/during/after a juice fast? I am familiar with their general role as they help repair the intestinal wall, reduce inflammation and repair leaky gut but haven't seen much mentioned in relation to a juice fast.

Consume after detox symptoms pass? Only start once the fast ends? Supplement or food based?

Thanks again for all your support and guidance.

Jonathan

Powered through day two. Drank juices from carrot, celery, romaine, kale, parsley, beets, apples, cabbage, lemon, ginger, cucumber, lime.

Have had a headache all day and my pee kinda smells. The hunger goes away after filling up on a fresh juice, but there is definitely that draw that food has. While there have been moments where I've wanted to throw in the towel, I am determined to make it through the week and looking forward to the detox symptoms to pass.

Thinking about the next steps. Once detox symptoms are gone, I'm gonna start taking colloidal silver for a few days in an attempt to kill off any remaining bacteria, such as MAP (which is antibiotic resistant). I'll do that for two or three days and as I pull into the final stretch, I'm thinking of adding some probiotics to the mix.

The overall game plan is this: if there's yeast, the juice will starve them, and then there's no more yeast. If it's leaky gut, removing the fiber and giving the guts a break will help give it time to heal, and the added gelatin is rich in amino acids which are great for healing intestinal walls. If it's MAP bacteria, the colloidal silver will take care of that and if its gut disbyosis, an infusion of beneficial probiotics will help push the balance in my favor.

Once I move in to steps two and three, I'll start planning my return to solid food, starting with some kimchi, egg yolks, bone broth, seaweed, fish eggs; things that are nutrient dense and easy to digest.

I am new to the forum and joined to get some juicing info. Do lots of you juice fast or use it as a meal replacement or supplement? I'm looking for relief from a flare, but also need to drop some lbs. thanks for any help!

Hi there and welcome . You can use it for both. I juice everyday for breakfast it's around 100 calories for a glass of juice so it is much better than sugary cereals , bacon buns or pastry's and gives me energy for the day.

If I feel a bit unwell I will do a couple of days to rest my tummy ( a full fast or maybe only replacing my daytime meals with juice and then having a light meal at tea time.)

If I wanted to have a good rest or loose a bit of weight I would do 5 to 7 days as a full fast.

Here is a link to a 5 day plan - if you are not good with fibre swap all the smoothies for juices instead :)

http://www.closeronline.co.uk/Diets...ummy-in-5-days-with-juicing-diet-recipes.aspx

Good luck.

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
I am new to the forum and joined to get some juicing info. Do lots of you juice fast or use it as a meal replacement or supplement? I'm looking for relief from a flare, but also need to drop some lbs. thanks for any help!
I do a day fast when I feel nasty inside (for lack of better word) and feel like doing a small cleanse.

I supplement periodically when I want to try and absorb more nutrients or just give myself another way of eating more veggies since I'm not always a fan of eating them normally. Drinking them is much easier for me :p

Also if I am flaring, more regular juicing in addition to soft, bland foods help to give my gut a break and allow it more time to heal.

I've done a juice fast for 3 days before. I definitely lost my gut doing that. But you have to continue to be active and eat proper afterwards to maintain. Much of that initial loss is simply water weight since you are flushing out your system.

nogutsnoglory

I like juicing because its so hard to get vegetables in my diet otherwise. Just had an apple and kale juice.

Does anyone else either feel really energetic after or really exhausted after a juice? It's always an extreme reaction here.

I bought a juicer after watching Fat, Dead, and Nearly Sick. I have a question for those of you that use juicing for your main form of nutrition. Is there anything we're missing when we drink nothing but juice? What about protein? Are there any type of supplements we should be taking when we juice?

I finally bought a juicer came yesterday from Amazon, Went after work today and bought some Apples, Carrots, Green bell peppers, Blueberry's and Cucumbers not sure how I'm putting it together but I'm excited. I never really feel like eating food. I drink a lot of Ensures and take liquid iron. I plan on trying my first day juicing tomorrow since I don't work tomorrow and if I get gas who cares.

Hello all,new boy here.

I'm on my 6th day of a juice fast and this thread seems a good place for tips.I've not opened my bowels for over three days now and feel as if i'm getting a 'juice belly' and weight loss has slowed right down,not sure I lost any in the last day or so.

Any tips for a healthy laxative please?

I have Crohn's (don't we all I assume) and take Budenofalk and Azathioprine daily.Not sure if i need to while fasting,but will check with doctor at next appointment.

Oh and I should add I really don't get on with prunes,not eaten one in decades.

Advice would be appreciated.

edit.Oh and not to put any potential juice fast people off,in the first 4 days or so I lost loads of weight,an amazing 7 klgs!

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
If you are set on using a laxative, everyone has their preference based on their symptoms....but for me I find Miralax to be the easiest/gentlest because it doesn't induce contractions, it draws water to the intestines to help flush out your system.

How long are you planning to fast? You say you haven't been able to relieve your bowels for three days.......You should definitely make your doctor aware of this as the possibility of a bowel obstruction is a very real and serious one for IBD patients that should be addressed immediately.

Hello all,new boy here.

I'm on my 6th day of a juice fast and this thread seems a good place for tips.I've not opened my bowels for over three days now and feel as if i'm getting a 'juice belly' and weight loss has slowed right down,not sure I lost any in the last day or so.

Any tips for a healthy laxative please?

I have Crohn's (don't we all I assume) and take Budenofalk and Azathioprine daily.Not sure if i need to while fasting,but will check with doctor at next appointment.

Oh and I should add I really don't get on with prunes,not eaten one in decades.

Advice would be appreciated.

edit.Oh and not to put any potential juice fast people off,in the first 4 days or so I lost loads of weight,an amazing 7 klgs!
It's normal for some people to go three days with no bowel movement, and not eating can mean you empty your bowels less, so I'm not sure you need a laxative. Taking a laxative when you don't need it can lead to dehydration and other issues depending on the type of laxative, as well as causing you stomach cramps, diarrhoea, and other unpleasantness. It would be better if you just started eating, as it would get your bowel moving again.

Are you saying you're trying to use the juice fast to lose weight? Fasting is really not a good strategy for weight loss. You'll lose some because you'll have less food in your body, it's not going to make you burn off fat any faster. I'm sorry if this sounds critical, and you've probably heard it before but I think it's true: the best and safest way to lose weight is to eat a balanced diet that you can continue long term, not to try to lose as much as possible in a few days.

I know what you mean , its no good just loosing a load of weight by fasting and then going back to normal eating.
But actually I think that juice fasting is a good way to kick start a healthy diet. It gets you out of the bad habits of snacking and eating junk. And long term having a juice to replace a meal everyday is a great way to cut down.

nogutsnoglory

Juice fasts really just amount to water loss because you take in a large quantity and then dish it out. In the course of a day or two it can be misleading as if you are dropping weight. If you truly want to lose weight cut down heavily on carbs and dairy. That will do the trick. Just ensure you substitute for other nutritious food sources.

Juice fasts really just amount to water loss because you take in a large quantity and then dish it out. In the course of a day or two it can be misleading as if you are dropping weight. If you truly want to lose weight cut down heavily on carbs and dairy. That will do the trick. Just ensure you substitute for other nutritious food sources.
You don't really need to cut out any food or food group. Weight loss really is just a matter of taking in less calories than you need, whatever form they're in. The particular foods you eat are important for other aspects of health, and cutting things out may be beneficial to someone with Crohn's if they can work out if something is provoking symptoms, but it's cutting down calories that helps weight loss. Some people may find they're better able to keep their calories intake low if they avoid certain foods or food groups (e.g. eating less carbs or dairy, as in your examples) but which foods help someone to do this will depend very much on the individual. I don't think it's a good idea to cut down on carbs or dairy needlessly, as they are things that are very healthy if eaten as part of a diet that's balanced overall.

nogutsnoglory

I agree that it isn't good to eliminate a food group because all have their benefits. That being said I don't think calorie control is enough, weight gain/loss is dependent on the type of calories you ingest.

A low-carb diet is very effective at achieving rapid weight loss. Whether its safe or healthy in the long term is a different story. I tried the Paleo diet and it was good in some ways but I lost so much weight it was scary already.