• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Can you see the fistula plug?

Hi guys, I had a fistula plug inserted this past Friday and I am wondering, were any of you able to see the plug after it was inserted or was it too high up in the fistula?

Excuse my ignorance. What is a fistula plug?? Wont that just make the Fistula redirect itself? In my layman brain it just seems like a bad idea. LOL

nogutsnoglory

It would likely be very difficult to see assuming the plug is in your anus. I suppose only a doctor upon careful examination would see it.

i wasn't sure if it would be visible at the exit of the fistula track
Hi Steph

The fistula plug is not visible as once it's inserted new tissue actually grows over it so it is sort of a foundation in a manner of speaking.

I had a fistula plug inserted that was successful - a few years back when I lived in NZ. Since that surgery I never experienced any issues at that fistula site.

I do now have three complex fistulae at a different location (two setons in place) - I asked the Colorectal surgeon about a fistula plug in this instance and he is not keen...

Thank you so much for your response! I'm so worried that it may have fallen out or will fall out without me realizing. I'm so happy for you that they were able to close yours. Why won't the dr plug the new ones?

Good luck 2 u with fistula plug! Mine got infected and after 5 days I developed abscess and plug had to be taken out, abscess lanced and IV antibiotics in the hospital.

Thank you so much for your response! I'm so worried that it may have fallen out or will fall out without me realizing. I'm so happy for you that they were able to close yours. Why won't the dr plug the new ones?
Hi Steph

According to the Colorectal surgeon my three fistulae are complex and he is generally not in favour of fistula plugs... there are other options on the table for me at present and I'm going to seek a third opinion in the new year regarding my current situation.

All the best to you and the healing of your fistula.

Daisy why are they not keen on plugs? May I ask what other options are being considered. I have multiple perianal fistulas.
Hi nogutsnoglory, the Colorectal surgeon said that there isn't a high success rate with fistula plugs and because my fistulae are complex he is excluding the fistula plug as an option.

My options are:
1) do nothing - leave things as they are i.e. two setons in place allowing for continual drainage (not that much discharge any more) and not much discomfort at present.

2) perform a temporary ileostomy to divert the faecal stream away from the fistulae which could aid the healing of the fistulae. Also at the same time do an advancement flap.

I'm not keen on a temporary ileostomy because on the one hand if the faecal stream is diverted then "yes" the fistuale can heal but my perianal disease is pretty active so there are no guarantees that new fistulae won't develop. Which is fair enough that the doc can't guarantee that and I totally accept that.

However, to have invasive surgery and everything that goes with that leaves me feeling very unsettled. I'm wanting to start work in the new year and thinking of having to ask for time off to have surgery and recovery time thereafter doesn't seem likely. The surgeon said to me I would need at least 3 months recovery time? I haven't worked in ages and I'm keen to rejoin the work force.

Something else to mention is my recent colonoscopy done in October showed that there is mild narrowing at my ileocaecal valve as well as a mild stricture in the proximal descending colon. This means that if the stenosis gets worse then I might have to have surgery down the line and my GI has already mentioned the option of total colectomy and said that I should keep that in the back of my mind...

'Bottom line' is I'm not keen to go through all the angst etc for an outcome that is uncertain.

I had an appointment at hospital yesterday and spoke to the GI and she said that she would complete the necessary paper work for me to travel to attend an appointment with a leading GI here in Aussie to discuss my situation and what the best plan would be for me in moving forward. I've been told that the GI is really the person that has the most input in this decision because the bigger picture (future) needs to be considered. So, that appointment will only happen in the new year sometime and hopefully there will be a good outcome for me.

nogutsnoglory how long have you had your fistulae?

exit4 I'm so sorry to hear that you had to go through that, what is the status of your fistula now?

Daisy good luck with the new GI

I met with my surgeon yesterday for my 2 week follow up, she says all looks good as of now and I can wait 6 weeks to go back, she has prescribed me methotrexate cream for the exterior opening of the fistula(I guess that this helps to promote healing?), I have noticed that the discharge has slowed a little bit. I'm praying my heart out and keeping my fingers crossed that this will work and hopefully I will not develop any more. The last 2 weeks have been hell, not being able to pick my kids up. My 16 mo old has preferred my mother and MIL over me not to mention she developed Toxic Synovitis last week, and my 3 yr old just keeps saying that he misses me since he has hardly seen me with having to be with my mother or MIL or at daycare since my husband works so much. I don't know if I can handle putting my kids through this again....