• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Progressive or not?

I was just wondering if CD and UC are progressive diseases or not. Do they get worse over time or is it however severe you have it is the way it is? I have read that over 1/2 of CD patients need surgery eventually...that would lead me to believe that it is progressive in nature.

I am wondering because I have just recently been diagnosed with IBD and am waiting to get my prometheus lab results to see if it is CD or UC as so far I only had inflammation and ulcers in the large colon. I want to know should I expect that it will get worse or not necessarily? Do symptoms change after a while or can it travel to other areas (Crohn's)? Why have so many of you changed medications? I have just started on Asacol and though I feel better I still get cramping and diarrhea quite regularly. Do the symptoms go away completely?

Sorry for all the questions, just been thinking about it all a lot today. I appreciate any info anyone has.

Crohns has flares. It ebbs and flows in severity. It doesn't steadily progress. But, some of the damage done is permanent and the damage will compound upon itself and build up over time even if your immediate symptoms like inflammation get better.

Yeah, it all depends, probably on numerous factors. Not to mention the fact that you are probably fairly young and new treatments are always coming out.

Just from reading the forums, though, it does seem to be progressive for a lot of people including myself. Various medications work differently for different people as well as the symptoms vary in degree. I've heard of the symptoms going away completely for some people but not many. And it can show up in any part of the digestive tract from the mouth all the way down. If you have UC, that it is easier to treat.

Last edited:
I've been wondering the same thing. My diagnosis is very recent, and my doctor said it's unlikely it will get worse, and I've noticed symptoms for years, but it has gotten a little worse in the past 2 or 3. If it does tend to get worse, what seems to be the catalyst, typically? Or is it a steady decline due to, perhaps, poor diet and self-care?

AgB621 said:
I've been wondering the same thing. My diagnosis is very recent, and my doctor said it's unlikely it will get worse, and I've noticed symptoms for years, but it has gotten a little worse in the past 2 or 3. If it does tend to get worse, what seems to be the catalyst, typically? Or is it a steady decline due to, perhaps, poor diet and self-care?
I definitely think taking care of yourself is important. My mom has a friend whose son died, but from what she says he had it pretty bad and refused to take care of himself. Ate anything he wanted even if it made him terribly sick. Not sure how he died though.

Yeah just the other day I was talking with my ex-boyfriend who has an uncle, I believe, with Crohn's...He also was not very careful and ended up needing 3 feet of his intestines removed (I can't remember exactly why), but he says he nearly died. Good thing for me there's nothing in the world I hate more than feeling sick so my diet stays relatively bland to avoid it...

Me too. I try to avoid anything that upsets me. I am just so new to the disease that I am still trying to figure all that out. Fried foods for sure hurt. Lately it seems beef is off the menu too...sucks cuz that is the meat I use to eat the most, like everyday almost! Makes me think of the like between Crohn's and cows...

difficult question for anyone to answer really.

i know of people with Crohns who've only ever had a mild flare-up, and then again i know others who have had ongoing symptoms & loss of life quality for years.. mine flared crazily for the first few years until diagnosis, then i had surgery, & subsequently 20 years Crohns free. it's just come back.

i think diet, recognition of your body's limits, and avoiding stress/upset as much as possible are pretty good rules to live by, once you've been diagnosed with IBD.

teeny5 said:
Me too. I try to avoid anything that upsets me. I am just so new to the disease that I am still trying to figure all that out. Fried foods for sure hurt. Lately it seems beef is off the menu too...sucks cuz that is the meat I use to eat the most, like everyday almost! Makes me think of the like between Crohn's and cows...
Hi,I just took ground beef off of the menu also.I have IBD just not sure which one yet.I posted a thread earlier asking for help!I can help you though..well with your beef situation.I'm not sure how it goes where you live but here in Ohio.Basset's and House of meats both carry ground buffalo.House of meats charges less per pound though. :)
Anyways,try to hunt down and get ground buffalo...they even have patties.It does taste great(coming from a picky eater) and it's very lean.I have thought it to be a great substitute to beef since it started to cause my symptoms to flare.You can hardly taste a difference in it,no matter what you use it for. I use it for anything from burgers to spaghetti to chili etc...everything I used to use beef for...even hamburger helper on my lazy days lol.
Give it a try...and let me know if that works out better for you.
It has worked wonders for me and causes 0 flares in my symptoms.

Thanks! I will look into it...not sure if we have buffalo in California??? Anyway, did get some turkey meat also to try...not as yummy as beef.

teeny5 said:
Thanks! I will look into it...not sure if we have buffalo in California??? Anyway, did get some turkey meat also to try...not as yummy as beef.
Most likely not,but I researched it,and if there is a House of meats there...they are a franchise and order meats from the same provider,and you could order some buffalo meat to your closest store location,and the store would call you when your order comes.So,it is still do-able.I don't see why they wouldn't have it there even though there aren't buffalo there.I'm far from Florida and we ave oranges...lol...lol.But SERIOUSLY....Maybe if it weren't in high demand there I guess they wouldn't but it is orderable.

GoJohnnyGo

One Badass Dude
Try Ostrich too.

It's apparent less fibrous than other meats and tastes very similar to finely aged beef. I buy mine at a local farmer's market.

I enjoy Bison as well -- it's got a very hearty, beefy taste. I'm trying farmed Elk burgers tonight (really high iron content).

Buffalo is really good. For me, it's easier to digest than beef, and it's healthier too. Less saturated fat! ??I love fish too, especially salmon.