• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Irritated Butt

Hello,

Right now I'm going through a flare up, and so I am having watery diarrhea several times a day. I'm now 2 weeks in, and the skin between my butt cheeks and around my anus feels irritated and dry.

I've been using a combination of patting the area with a wet towel after pooping, and then patting it dry with regular toilet paper. This method has definitely helped not make the situation worse, however it's also not getting better.

Did anybody else experience this? What can I do to relieve the skin and heal it? What should I do after I poop to prevent this from happening in the first place?

Thanks!

The best would be to just wash with the shower head and then blow dry with a hair dryer so that you don't rub the skin at all after pooping. Not always possible I know, especially at work etc, but if you can do it most of the time, it should help.

fuzzy butterfly

Hi I went through similar, i used aloe vera toilet tissue wipes and got some hydrocortisone cream of my gp..worked well for me :poo:

The zinc diaper cream has worked wonders for me, and it works FAST; like if you put it on before you go to bed, you will have less pain in the morning. I haven't used toilet paper to wipe my butt in years; I clean myself with a detachable shower-head (and everyone in my family now has one as well for when I visit) and I always carry an empty squeeze bottle that I can fill with water and clean myself when using a public bathroom. I only use toilet paper to carefully pat myself dry. Good luck to you!

I always carry an empty squeeze bottle that I can fill with water and clean myself when using a public bathroom.
That is genius! Would never have thought of that but it's the perfect solution to that horrible sandpaper they give you in public restrooms. Thanks! :)