• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Ivig tips

Can I ask out of curiosity as to why?
Grace's nurse brought this up but I forgot why she thought it would help?.

Maya142

Staff member
It can be used for a number of autoimmune diseases - from JIA to Lupus. We know a couple kids with JIA who have been on it and have done well.

A has done IVIG (Privigen) for years. Almost all docs pre-treat with Tylenol and Benadryl. Some also use Prednisone or Solu-Cortef (A gets this). Fluids are usually given before and after. Because it's made from human plasma there is an increased risk for reactions, particularly if the individual is IgA deficient.

Vitals are checked frequently and the rate is usually kept very slow to minimize risk. A's infusions usually take 5-6 hours. It is important to hydrate well 2 days before and after infusing. This is to prevent aseptic meningitis. The most common side effects are headache, diarrhea and fatigue. Side effects are best treated with fluids and Benadryl.

A felt better immediately after her first infusion. I hope it works well for your son as well. Many kids switch to SubQ after a few months but A is a creature of habit. Just know that there are options.

my little penguin

Staff member
Thanks -Dancemom
His will be inpatient
We were told 8 hours for the infusion and plan on spending the night
No immunodeficiency-or no igA deficient
Just autoimmune disease

They didn't say
Ds is extremely complicated so that may be why
Most kids that receive IVIG are extremely complicated, lol. High dose IVIG likely has different protocols than standard dose IVIG so it will be important to know which he'll be receiving. You also have a choice in which medication to use, so that may be worth researching. Gammagard and Gamunex are very popular, but A has done well on Privigen. Just know that side effects are expected, especially the first few infusions.

my little penguin

Staff member
Dancemom
Looks like 2 g/kg since they do a much higher dose for autoimmune
I think I read primary immune deficiency is much lower dose (0.5 to 0.8 g/kg)
So that would explain the inpatient part

I hope you don't mind me asking but it's he still on humira or did I miss why they had to take him off?
Will he being doing both?

Dancemom
Looks like 2 g/kg since they do a much higher dose for autoimmune
I think I read primary immune deficiency is much lower dose (0.5 to 0.8 g/kg)
So that would explain the inpatient part
Makes sense. How often will he receive it? I've known a few kids that did high dose weekly until remission, then discontinued.

We had no issue with insurance approval, but it seems most companies deny until the physician appeals. I've seen it take months to a year while hoops are jumped through.