• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Sweetcorn

sweetcorn

Hi all,

Stupidly ate some sweetcorn today.
The thing is it doesn't hurt when it comes out my stoma. It hurts going through my intestines before it even gets to my stoma.
I have never had a problem with sweetcorn before, even when quite ill. Just found it strange that it would hurt there and not coming out.

Makes me think even more about Crohns.

darn!! I love corn too! I don't really have a problem eating it too much either, it just never gets "digested" if you know what I mean. LOL

I hope you don't have Crohn's :( You are suppose to be BETTER now!

I know i am supposed to be better now. I am trying, honestly!

It just struck me as really weird hat it would hurt further up. I don't know, probably making a mountain out of a molehill!

I don't think so :) But it could have just not agreed with you for that time? I have things do taht to me all of the time. One day I can eat something, the next day no way! If you keep having problems, I would probably try and get them to look into it more.

I've also had particular foods hurt going through my intestines, but not the stoma, that never hurt before I had surgery. I don't know what to make of it either, unless it is slight kinking from everything still resettling in my gut with the colon out.

Mushrooms is the one for me! I so miss my mushrooms. So much so that i have banned hubby from having them for a while!

hmm! I would think that mushrooms wouldn't be too bad to digest. They can be pretty tender, can't they? Crazy what our gut decides that we can and cannot eat!!

I was told that mushrooms were in the top 5 foods to avoid because of obstruction and I haven't been brave enough to try them yet. I do miss mushrooms too, Shazz!

Ok. Think i may have a bit of a problem now.

Nothing solid is coming out of Ozzie. Just lots and lots of liquid. Have emptied twice in the last 40 minutes or so. I have eaten a few pringles crisps throughout the evening and that normally thickens and regulates my output.
Hope I am not heading for a blockage! Have got pain but because I don't feel it like others not sure if its bad pain or not.
Don't know if that made sense or not!
Sorry

I follow what you are saying. Make sure you drink a lot of water since you are losing it fairly quickly... and fingers crossed that it's not a blockage!

Have been sipping water constantly.
Thanks for replying so quick.
My bag is sloshing again already so will go empty it again! My butt is gonna be so firm by the time this night is out I think all the running up and down the bloody stairs!

Hey Shazz:

Also try laying on your side and massaging your belly. The ET nurse told me that this sometimes helps things move along on their merry way.

Hoping things are settling down, although a nice butt is a worthy goal!

Kismet

Gotta try to find a silver lining in everything!

Thanks for the tip glum will try that.

Will let you know how it goes.

Xxxxxxxxxxxxx

:( I hope you aren't getting a blockage. That's the LAST thing you need right now! Keep us posted on how you're doing.

PsychoJane

Huoh! I really hope it is not partial obstruction... The flushing happens to me when food get stucked. Glump Chump advice is what I've been told too when this happens. Also, I find that applying some heat helps, I don't know if it is because it dilates the stoma or what but it appears to help. And rub your belly clockwise. I hope it is resolved by now!

Terriernut

Hows it going now Shazz? Did you 'give birth' to the corn yet? I hope so, it such a relief when it finally clears.

Painful night. Quite a bit of corn has come out but I think there is still more in there.
Still lots of liquid but nothing more solid yet.
Had my heat pad on and massaged my tummy most of the night.
Will see how things go today. Still very sore.
Xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Terriernut

It'll work its way through. Sorry. Our bowels are just not very darn cooperative are they!? Once it clears, hopefully the big D will pass.
:rosette2:

Ok so today not been too bad. Bit of pain, for a change, and liquid output. Feels baf every now aand then but its bearable.

Another question. Sorry seem to be full of them lately!

Just had to rush to the loo for stumpy. Felt worse than ever before. So it felt like a semi solid something coming out. So, as you do, I had a look. Well it was blood. A few quite big clots. When i wiped there was a clot about 1cm long by 1/2cm wide on the paper.
Now bear in mind nobody has looked up there since 4 days post op. I am 12 weeks post op on Thursday and considering all the problems i have had this seems a bit lax to me.

So my question is:
Is this to be expected with my situation or should i go to a&e in the morning.

I cannot go now as hubby is at work tonight and I have nobody to have the boys. I am concerned with this as I thought I was on warfarin to stop the clotting in my blood.

Terriernut

You will experience mucus poo's yes. But they shouldnt be bloody. It will clot regardless of wafarin down there I would imagine. I know you said you are having alot of trouble with stumpy. And yes, someone should be looking at stumpy, because clearly that is where your flare is.

What is the news on a GI for you by the way?

My surgeon told me to expect to see blood from time to time as stumpy (ha!) heals, as this is normal. I pass a lot of mucus all day long and it is blood tinged, and occasionally clots. This is normal for me and may not be for you, however.

I would say just monitor things for awhile. If its just a few clots or bloody mucus, you're probably okay. If it continues and is more like something that you need a pad for, definitely get it checked out.

Still no gi as under the surgeon who wont do my op till August.

I can phone the helpline again but feel like:angry-banghead:

Have been losing bblood and mucous ssince 2 weeks post op and its been getting worse. No meds work so have to deal with it til August.

EEeeeesh! Well, maybe you should get checked out sooner than later.

I was thinking about all of the running you did to the loo yesterday up and down stairs. On the days that I do more walking than usual, I have more bleeding, so I was going on that thought. However, if this is a continuation of previous and just getting worse, you probably should try to get in to see someone.

Yeah have been trying to see a gi doc but no luck so far.

Might give them a ring again in the morning and take it from there. Will see how it goes tonight though

hmm! I would think that mushrooms wouldn't be too bad to digest. They can be pretty tender, can't they? Crazy what our gut decides that we can and cannot eat!!
The issue is that mushrooms expand in size in your gut which can then cause a blockage

That's what I was told as well.

Definitely staying well away from them! Although i do miss them soooo much!!

[shazz]Still no gi as under the surgeon who wont do my op till August.

I can phone the helpline again but feel like:angry-banghead:

Have been losing bblood and mucous ssince 2 weeks post op and its been getting worse. No meds work so have to deal with it til August.
Sorry to hear that Shazz. I know how frustrating it can be too. I had the majority of my operations at St Mark's in London and I'm 40 miles down the road and there were a couple of occasions when I had to drive to their A&E and get admitted. Purely because I couldn't wait for the op, my situation had become unbearable. I didn't want to have to force their hand, so to speak, but I was losing both blood and mucus to the point of being literally housebound. I had these huge pads (on prescription) but was going through them at such a rate, it was ridiculous.

If it is not getting any better and/or progressively worse. I would encourage you to seek medical intervention, be that via your stoma nurse or through your G.P. It will get better Shazz :) Take care

I have been to see my gp a few times last week and he has said that there is nothing he can do.
Have phoned my IBD nurse this morning and left a message but she wont be able to do anything either.
The main problem I have got is that because i had the pe so soon after my op the surgeons wont do another op until August. So i have to try to get through until then. There are no more meds they ccan give me to try so am really stuck.
Will see what the nurse says. I am not very hopeful though

Oh...and fried fish is HORRIBLY odorific with an ileostomy. Never doing that again the night before an important meeting where I am already paranoid about using a public restroom.

There seems to be different opinions about the rectal stump. I was told if I have crohns a reversal was impossible. I was also advised that blood loss is not to be ignored. I elected to have a proctectomy last Thursday. Not a decision I took lightly. It went reasonably well - a few hiccups that my team encountered and solved. Nowhere near as difficult as the ileostomy op last year. I just wanted to get rid of all the bowel problems restricting my life. The butt wound is a bit sore but out of hosp after 4 days on paracetamol only. Onwards and upwards.

Get as much info as you can xxx