• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Is a cutting seton supposed to hurt this much?!

Hi all, new here.

I was hoping to gain some insight around cutting setons...

I had a fistulectomy and a cutting seton placed 5 days ago. The pain from the fistulectomy has been manageable, for the most part, except when I have my packing changed daily by a nurse (that's not pleasant) My problem is with my cutting seton. I know they're supposed to be painful and uncomfortable, but mine is excruciating. I can't so much as move the threads around, let alone lightly pull them, without experiencing what I can only describe as being poked with a hot poker. It's seriously the sharpest pain, and makes me yelp and cry.

Is this the pain level I can expect for the remainder of my time with the cutting seton in, or is this residual pain from surgery? I'm taking a high dose of tramadol, and it works to numb the pain from the fistulectomy, but does nothing for the seton pain.

If this is the pain I'm going to experience for the foreseeable future, I might cry.

Trysha

Staff member
Sorry you are having such a hard time harrietsweetharriet
Perhaps you should be calling your doctor to let them know the pain is unbearable ,
maybe someone should make sure things are ok.
Feel better soon...

Sorry you are having such a hard time harrietsweetharriet
Perhaps you should be calling your doctor to let them know the pain is unbearable ,
maybe someone should make sure things are ok.
Feel better soon...
I agree... I would call your doctor as soon as possible. Hope you feel better

Just wondering how you are getting on? Hope you are feeling some relief. I’m coming up to 1 week since my surgery and have been experiencing some difficult pain but mine is more when having BMs and then for a time after this.

Not got any solution, just wanted to let you know there are people here for you if you need to vent. It can feel quite isolating as nobody quite seems to understand how invasive this surgery is or the impact it has if in so much pain.

Feel better soon and let us know how you are doing

Andy

Thanks all for your kind words and advice. It is comforting knowing there are people out here that have experienced the same problems as me.

Pain isn't quite as sharp today, which is promising... my nurse suggested maybe one of my sutures from surgery or from the seton itself is touching a nerve...if so, that would explain the severity of the pain. I'm going to see if I can hold out until my follow-up appointment with my surgeon next week. If not I will be calling him.

Bufford

I would call the doctor and ask for an opiate pain killer. For what you are going through the tramadol is not enough, nor does it provide that soothing feeling that I find is a big help physically and mentally. Pain control today is often not being taken seriously due to the politics that has prevented many from getting the proper pain relief that they need.

Hi all, thanks for your replies.

I'm still healing, 3 months after surgery 😔 Even though I followed all post surgery instructions to a T, I didn't heal properly. My surgeon wants to operate again and do a 2nd stage fistulectomy.

I feel like every time he operates on me he just makes things worse. My fistula is more painful and complex now than it was when I first got it last summer.

My surgeon was also surprised to see that my seton is still in place. He told me nothing about it when I had my surgery, so I thought he would have to take it out eventually, but he just told me last week it's supposed to fall out on its own, and he's surprised it hasn't fallen out yet. Luckily it isn't causing me too much discomfort, though I'm hoping it falls out soon.

The good news is I've managed to get referred to a colorectal surgeon in my area. I'm hoping he can help rid me of this fistula once and for all!

cmack

Staff member
Good luck Harriet, usually a colorectal surgeon is very helpful with these kinds of troubles. Mine fixed me (high complex intersphincteric fistulas) in one procedure, I hope the same for you. You can always ask me if there is something you aren't sure about, I have had several very similar issues in the past.