• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

ER Bill!!

Hi everyone,

Ok, I just need to vent. I got the bill from when I went to the ER a couple weeks ago. I am not sure what I will have to pay as it is just what the charges were. This is what they billed:

Pharmacy: which was the three regular tylenol tablets, 1 zofran, and 1 bag of IV saline. $879

Radiology: CT scan- $5,200

Laboratory: Blood work -$716

ER: Just for walking in the door- $2,700

SO a TOTAL of $ 9,495.60

They also said this statement does not reflect charges for individual physcians or other professioanl services, that I will recieive a seperate bill from each of them possibly!!!
So that means every doctor I saw I will likley get a seperate bill from each one of them.

Ok, this is so wrong! I have a HUGE deductible! Also it all depends on how they decide to bill things to my insurance in terms of what will or will not be covered and what it falls under.

This is robbery man! I mean NO wonder insurance companies are having such Huge deductibles now. WHen hospitals charge that kind of money, it is no wonder!! It literally makes me sick to my stomach...

Sorry, just needed to vent.. I am sure when my hubby see's the bill he will blow his top too.....

You're in luck! I did all of the pricing for a large hospital in WA State.
If you can send me the name of the hospital I can do some price comparisons. The CT sounds high at first glance as does the Visit which is determined by the level of care. The levels start range from one to five. Did they send you an itemization with a code on it example ER pharmacy charges should have a code of 0636.

As far as the Physician charges and others charges they are billed separately....sorry.

afidz

Super Moderator
I was charged 14k just to have my belly button removed in the hospital. it was another 14 for my surgeon. that surgery alone was somewhere around 60k. And then I was in the hospital for a week. my stomach is worth well over a million dollars. It truly is rape.

afidz, I had a 12-day stay at Baylor in Irving that total out of pocket cost less than a 3-day stay at Medical City Dallas. The Baylor visit included surgery and the Med. City was only for tests. It's crazy!!

Was the belly button removal inpatient or out? The surgeons fee seems high. So, here's how hospitals " should" set prices. They should be comparing prices to other hospitals of the same size and same level of care to theirs. The Surgery charge is " generally" based on the time spent in the OR. They should have your minutes time in and time out documented in your chart. In WA State patients are able to go on the Hospital Association web- site and compare prices of all hospitals. Some hospitals get contractors to set their prices. That's a fun one!

Anyway, sucks having a high deductible. Hospitals and Physicians sure as hell better be able to give you an itemized statement and answer any questions a patient has. Call and ask!!!!! If something looks off or even if you just want it explained its your right:)! That's what I say!!

Thank everyone for the replies.

Laura: I definitely will be calling the hospital billing department to get an itemized bill.

What is really concerning is that from what I believe, with insurance companies( I have blue Cross blue shield), well there is a million dollar lifetime limit. I am not sure if it is still that way, but I was just thinking about it, I mean can you imagine if a person needed like more than a couple surgeries??? That would be well over a million I am guessing, especially at some of the hospitals here! What happens then?? You are done, no more medical coverage??

These hospitals should be penalized for charging such high rates for these tests and such. I mean come on, over $ 5000 for a CT scan!! And over $2000 just to step foot in the ER! This is a joke...

I used to work at Children's in Seattle. I remember a set of twins had cancer needing bone marrow transplants. That's a million dollars a twin, not always but for them. It depends on the length of stay etc. They didn't hit their max but it was a nightmare getting the ins co to pay. So, now there is a system in place that hospitals have to use. A patient needs to meet certain criteria in order for the insurance co to even get authorization to be in the hospital. Case Managers have to make sure they meet the criteria daily. It's meant to insure patents néed to be in- house. Also helping not to hit those lifetime maxes. You have a very legit point, people do reach maxes. Healthcare reform is needed so badly . Ugh!

Let me know when you get you statement and we can email or talk through it. How long were you there? Do you remember how much time the Dr. Spent face to face with you? Nursing time can't be billed separately. You should never get a nursing bill. It would be pretty awesome if you can get your chart notes. I wish you lived closer. I'd audit it in person.

afidz

Super Moderator
2thfairy I wanted to have my next surgery at Baylor, but couldn't find a surgeon to help me there. I am going to be at Plano Presbyterian Hospital off of the DNT. I have never been a patient there, hope I get good care. Have you been there or know someone that has?
LauraDawn- that surgery was inpatient, and I think that surgery was around 4 or 5 hours long. I don't remember specifics of it though

I don't know anything current about Plano Presby. Too bad you couldn't get help at Baylor. When is your next surgery?

afidz

Super Moderator
March 25th. its going to be a big one

EDIT: both of my surgeons do preactice out of Baylor, the only facility they have in common is Plano Presby. So atleast they still practice mainly out of the hospital group I wanted

Sorry Ihurt, I didn't mean to hijack your tread

OMG! That really is expensive! We have Blue Cross/Blue Sheild too, and can only imagine what our portion of my husband's recent stay will be. We haven't gotten the bill yet, but have a $5,000 deductible.

I've seen several posts about medical costs here and I can't believe the US has such an impossible health care system.

I complain frequently about things like the attitudes of doctors and poor standards of health care here in the UK, but I am learning just how much I have been taking the NHS for granted. I can go to each appointment, each test, each hospital admission without having to take into account what it will cost me. I never have to factor that in when deciding whether an appointment is necessary.

I suppose some people have good insurance that it's not so much of an issue, but I can't imagine how you all manage - never mind the fact that you're dealing with illness as well! Thank you for making me see how privileged we are here.

I definitely feel the same as unxmas.

i work in private healthcare here in the UK.. so I see the bills we get.. CT scans.. I have never seen billed for more than £1000.. but would normally cost around £500ish..
A hospital stay for something like a knee replacement costs around 15k.. and that includes surgeons, doctors, hospital stay, the replacement knee!

I just cant understand those prices?!? I mean if private care over here doesnt cost that much.. I dont see why it is so expensive for you?
I know this isnt what you want to hear.. but i really hope your insurance can sort something out for you xx

OMG, my MIL had her knee replaced and it cost over $160,000!!! And that was just for the surgery, never mind the individual costs for each doctor she saw and meds and what not!!!

I am thinking I need to move to the UK!!!! Health care here is ridiculous. Bottom line is that you just cant get sick here in the US sadly or your screwed!

I definitely feel the same as unxmas.

i work in private healthcare here in the UK.. so I see the bills we get.. CT scans.. I have never seen billed for more than £1000.. but would normally cost around £500ish..
A hospital stay for something like a knee replacement costs around 15k.. and that includes surgeons, doctors, hospital stay, the replacement knee!

I just cant understand those prices?!? I mean if private care over here doesnt cost that much.. I dont see why it is so expensive for you?
I know this isnt what you want to hear.. but i really hope your insurance can sort something out for you xx

Wait wait wait! A total knee was $160,000? That is not right! Honestly. My husband Ortho.... I swear that's way way way too high. Was it one knee total replacement? I will ask him. I think I know from what I've done and priced... Let me ask him. We're there just normal implants? Now ya got me really irritated.

I hurt you are in Chicago right? That's absurd. Let me know if I am missing details because I think that's honestly..., wait until my hubby is out if the shower. I think I know what the cost should be. Bloody hell!

Something is WAY off Jen. My husband said a total knee, including implantable items should be $25,000 -$35,000. We can't be taking about the same procedure.

OMG, my MIL had her knee replaced and it cost over $160,000!!! And that was just for the surgery, never mind the individual costs for each doctor she saw and meds and what not!!!

I am thinking I need to move to the UK!!!! Health care here is ridiculous. Bottom line is that you just cant get sick here in the US sadly or your screwed!
A lot of people are leaving the country and having these types of surgeries performed in countries such as India or Costa Rica, and they have been satisfied both with the results--and cost. Total package for a hip replacement runs between $7,000-$15,000 depending on where you have it done, and how much of a vacation you wish to enjoy while there. It is so much cheaper, that some insurance companies will now cover these procedures performed in other countries as well.

Hey Laura,

No you are right about the actual knee replacements costing like $35,000. But it is the whole hospital stay and meds and being billed from each individual doctor you see there that racks up the bill. I mean for instance, I think my MIL was in the hospital for 5 days. They charged her like over $2000 per day just to be there in the hospital. That is $10,000 right there. And then they charge for every single thing.. I mean it all added up real quick. This was done like 4 years ago too. I can only imagine the prices have even went up now. I have to call my MIL and ask her what hospital she had the surgery in again. It was not even one of the big top hospitals here either.

Something is WAY off Jen. My husband said a total knee, including implantable items should be $25,000 -$35,000. We can't be taking about the same procedure.

I am so sorry to hear about all your stories! It really makes me appreciate the health care we get in the uk..

I'm curious about how you all pay off these bills? Do you have to have insurance or pay it off monthly? I really feel for you all :(

I can only answer for myself re: paying bills. I have ins but a huge out of pocket. I have to take out loans to pay off balances. It sucks!

hawkeye

Staff member
Wow, even if our Canadian system isn't perfect and our taxes are high, I am grateful I we have universal medicare. When my wife had our baby a couple of years ago our payment for the hospital stay (4 or 5 nights - born on a long weekend so they keep you in longer) was under $50 and that was because of the private room charges

I've never complained about our Canadian healthcare. The only thing I am out of pocket for is about 200 for my deductible that my private insurance doesn't cover. I don't even want to know where my bill would be sitting. 4 resections, 17 years of blood draws, X-rays, scopes, MRIs, at least a year and a half of total hospitalizations, emergency room visits and most recently a year and a half of night TPN that I do myself and gets shipped to my door with all required supplies. I don't know how you guys do it. I don't know much about US healthcare but what happens to you g adults who have always been on their parents insurance and then have to get their own? Can the be denied?

Hi, wow that sounds brutal. The Drs. Wouldn't take your ins ? That's awful. I know that most Drs are asking for copays and even deductible at point of service but they can't deny you care if you don't have it. My email is in this thread . If you shoot me an email, I will send my number.
Sierradawn70@comcast.net hopefully I can help you sort this out.

Well here they have just passed a bill saying that kids can stay on their parents medical incurance until they are 26. That of course can change anytime. They are always changing things. But yeah, supposedly now that we have this new obamacare thing you are not suppose to be denied. But here is the thing, if you have pre-exsisting issues you may not get denied, but they will make the premiums you have to pay Huge( like over $900 a month) or something ridiculous like that. ALso you can apply for public assistance as well, but again, you will not have a wide selection of doctors nor hospitals to go too. ( you can end up with a crappy doctor).

Now here is the messed up part. I have insurance through my husband. We have a Huge deductible( $2,500) for each family member. So that would be in total with myself, hubby and son they say our limit would be $5,600 for all of us for each year. Also, when you are in the hospital you have to literally ask each doctor if they are covered under your insurance. If they are not or are out of network, you will be charged seperately from that doctor. It is really crazy. I would HATE to ever have to be hospitalized. I mean look, I went to the ER a few weeks back and was there for 16 hours. Well I got the bill and it was close to $10,000. They did not do anything. I mean I had a CT scan, blood drawn, and IV fluids, 3 tablets of tylenol and 1 shot of zofran. Ummm, i would like to know WTH cost $10,000!!! Oh, another thing they are doing here is they put this wrist band on you and every time they give you a med or come in your room they scan the band on your hand( it records everytime you get a med or see the doctor and you get charged!!!). No kidding. This is the new thing. My husband asked the nurse about it as we thought it a bit odd. The nurse told us about the whole chrage thing. Unbelievable!

I will be honest, A lot of people here in the states just suffer, they go without care because they just cannot afford it. My sons best friend has crohns, he has had it since he was 16. He is now 21. He said he has not taken any meds for the last 4 years, He has no insurance at all and cannot afford them. I mean come on, humira is like $ 6000 for 1 infusion. Remicade is like$ 4000 for 1 infusion. Who the hell could afford that. Luckily my sons friend is doing well though. He just watched his diet and is ok. ( he however contributes his good health to smoking cannabis!!) He told me he has not had any issues or pain since he smokes the stuff:shifty-t:

Anyhow, yeah, our healthcare system here is messed up, that is for sure. And no they cannot technically turn you away if you have no insurance, but they can refuse to treat you. I mean I see it all the time. Every time I ended up going to the ER I kid you not, the first thing they ask you for is your insurnace card. If you dont have one, you are not priority. I mean unless you come in by ambulance, then they have to see you. But sure is shit, if you dont have insurnace, dont expect to be treated right away or at all. You may sit there. WHen my son had a car wreck he was taken by ambulance to the hospital. HE said when he got in the ambulance, they asked him first thing, do you have insurance! He did, but they told him that if he did not he may want to have a friend drive him or a cab because the charge would be very high, like $1200. What a joke!!!!

I've never complained about our Canadian healthcare. The only thing I am out of pocket for is about 200 for my deductible that my private insurance doesn't cover. I don't even want to know where my bill would be sitting. 4 resections, 17 years of blood draws, X-rays, scopes, MRIs, at least a year and a half of total hospitalizations, emergency room visits and most recently a year and a half of night TPN that I do myself and gets shipped to my door with all required supplies. I don't know how you guys do it. I don't know much about US healthcare but what happens to you g adults who have always been on their parents insurance and then have to get their own? Can the be denied?

My deductible is 2600 (they pay 80% once met) I think and then my out of pocket max is 5300 (then everything is covered 100%). I just know that every year I'm going to pay 5300 for my medical care (we have no co-pays). The good thing about insurance though is usually they will dicker with the hospital and get the totals lower. I know sometimes my bills are cut in half because the insurance has an "allowed amount" that the hospital will play with.

Every year we re-evaluate our insurance plan to see if it will be a good one to use and so far this "high deductible" plan is the best choice. Its also good because we are able to have a health savings account in which we get reimbursed with pre-tax dollars for health care expenses. The HSA is also able to be used as a savings account so if all the money isn't used in the year, it can roll over the next year or gain interest. Its expensive, but seems to be the best thing for me (considering I've had two major ops in the last 5 months). Also, having this type of insurance allows for other types of doctors to be seen for free if I've met my out of pocket (dermatologists, physical therapy etc.)

The worst part is the beginning of the year though, because I'm responsible for 100% of every bill up to 2600. Usually I'm on a biologic like Humira or Cimzia that helps to meet my out of pocket max quickly (plus some of these companies offer copay assistance programs so it makes your insurance company think you've met your out of pocket, when really you've had a bit of help)

If I find that I do better healthwise this year after my ops we will re-evaluate and go with a cheaper healthcare plan that has copays. I just can't do that now because I know I would pay tons in copays with all the different doctors I see.

Our insurance is set up like katiesue1506, although I need to check into HSAs. Our individual deductible per family member is 350.00 then insurance covers 90%, after 1000.00 per individual or 3000.00 for family insurance pays 100%, we have no copays. We also have a family deductible I think it may be 700.00 but not sure, if the family deductable is reached before each individual deductible then ins. covers 90% for everyone. C always reaches the family deductible before all of us can reach our individual deductible since he is on biologics, in fact he has already reached the family deductible for us this year. No referrals required, which is one of the perks I like best.

Also we have never gotten a bill that the "allowed amount" the insurance contracts with hospital isn't greatly reduced from stated bill.

Katiesue1506, is the HSA through the employer or a facet of the insurance policy?

Last edited:
Saw the LA Times has an interesting article about medical costs. The article is about a university student that for a project contacted over 120 hospitals to find out pricing for a hip replacement to be done on her grandmother. Prices quoted where all over the place. Some hospitals quoted around $11,000 while others where as high as $125,000.

"What will a new hip cost? Few hospitals quote a price, study finds"

http://www.latimes.com/business/mon...rice-hospital-survey-20130211,0,4418289.story

Ok, checked with Hubby and you are right it is through the employer. He said they had HSA a few years ago but dropped them as the majority weren't using them or something. Ughh...too bad, seems like a good savings program for health care services.

That just boggles my mind. I pay for private insurance that covers my meds that aren't covered under my provincial plan, about 1200 bucks. My humira is 3500 for 4 injections. Which is all covered through the province. My private insurance I use for massages, glasses, chiro or anything else it covers. My work covers half and I pay the other 40 bucks a month. I was in a car accident too but the ambulance ride was paid for by my car insurance, which is also run through the province. My yearly out of pocket is about 300 give or take. I also get airmiles on all my humira and other meds. Enough for a short flight each month.