• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Total Bummer

So Im newly diagnosed, and finding that the things I love are really my worse enemy.....for me ice cream is a big No No...everytime I eat it, Im sick....so Im wondering what is your fav food that youve had to give up??

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Chocolate, unfortunately. I loooove chocolate but most chocolates really affect me now and make me feel awful. The only one that I've found that doesn't affect me is 3 Musketeers bars (I think that's because there's hardly any chocolate there, it's so airy and fluffy). I can eat 1 or 2 of the "mini" size and feel okay. But any other chocolate is a no-no for me. :(

Chrismac

Best of British
Steak. I love a good steak. Rare or medium rare. Perfect. But it's red meat, and that's not great for me. Also fish and chips.. done the good English way.

Ice cream isn't great for me either and I do like Ben and Jerry's.

I am finding I can work a lot of foods back into my diet. But with much more reduced frequency and portion than I was eating before.

I can eat steak or beef maybe once every other week without issue. Also Pork and salad greens. As soon as I have them strung together too often I get a bit of lower right pain and my stool hardens up and is accompanied with a touch of blood. I go for good cuts and cook them as healthy as I can.

ameslouise

Cheese - I never realized how many restaurants cover everything in tons of cheese until I had to give it up.

Chicken Wings - Love them but at best they were like an abusive husband - all I ever did was love them and in return they treated me like sh*t!

ameslouise

So Im newly diagnosed, and finding that the things I love are really my worse enemy.....for me ice cream is a big No No...everytime I eat it, Im sick....so Im wondering what is your fav food that youve had to give up??
BTW - there are tons of ice cream alternatives out there. Tofutti is particularly, mostly becuase it is so high in fat! My particular favorite is coconut milk ice cream but if you don;t like the taste of coconuts, this is not for you.

Yea, Ive tried other alternatives....but just not the same~ And I agree, cheese is a big nono also, mmmmmm but it sure is tasty, and I can only indulge sometimes....otherwise Im super sick for a few days....

Coffee will send me right over the edge in no time. As well as Chinese Restaurant foods. Do note, however, that an awesome stir fry is easy and relatively cheap to whip up at home. Not to mention less grease and super yummy!

soupdragon69

ele mental leprechaun
Beansprouts absolutely love them but they take days and days to get rid of and come out just as they went in!

Seeds and nuts of ANY description - my tail end cries at me no end if I have them.

Anything with cinnamon in it brings me out in mouth ulcers

Anything high fat gives me pain in my liver area and makes me nauseous.

Vegetables generally I can eat some but again like the beansprouts take days to get rid of and I never feel completely emptied after going to the loo until I am clear of them all!

Did find a really nice coconut milk that DOESNT taste of coconut when I went to the allergy and gluten free show in London last Saturday. Was VERY impressed with it and the guys at the stand were saying they tried to make it as like semi skimmed milk taste wise as they could. Have brought a couple of cartons home to try on things and see how it goes. Its cheaper than rice and soya milk.

Sadly my guts are so messed up all the time, I cannot tell what foods help me personally and what foods help anymore.
I don't eat dairy, beef, pork, chicken, or anything with high-fructose corn syrup, preservatives, mono-sodium glutamate, and hydrogenated oils (even Partially). It is very difficult to eat enough food though because I am on a fixed income and don't really get any housing assistance. (If anyone has suggestions please give them)

I have not been able to keep taking any med that has been tried thus far though and believe this plays into it a lot.

I live by myself in a one-bedroom (non-subsidized) apartment with my companion animal. I have PTSD, slight agoraphobia, chronic depression, panic disorder, and a few other messed up things going on from my extremely traumatic life. Once I got sick with crohn's I felt (and still do a little bit) that my life had already ended.

I lost my daughter four years ago when she was two; my doctor says I can never carry another baby either. All I ever wanted was to be a mom with a family.

Now it seems this illness will prevent any of that. The only thing that keeps me going any more is my faith in the lord Jesus Christ.

When I am not fevery and stuck near a toilet I love bike riding and learning to play guitar. I am too young to not have a life, yet here I am. Posting on a chat forum because I have no moral support (other than my dog)

*** OFF TOPIC**** I apologize, but mneilsen asked for help, and I am responding!

mneilsen- I am so sorry to hear of your loss four years ago. I cannot imagine the personal trials this has caused you and if you ever need anyone to talk to, PLEASE PM me or for that matter, anyone else on here. These people are AMAZING!

As for making sure you have enough to eat, I did some research and Meals on Wheels has a few chapters in Boise. They willl actually deliver food to you on a weekly (I think, or its bi-weekly) basis for like $20 (estimate) a week. My grandmother does this...it's a selection of non-perishable food items as well as poultry and meat products. I believe you could talk to them and get something organized to where they aren't bringing you foods that you won't be able to eat without flaring. Give them a call:

A couple locations in Boise:
Meals-on-Wheels
707 N. Armstrong Place
Boise, ID 83704
Phone: 208-327-7460

Boise Senior Activities Center
690 Robbins Road
Boise, ID 83702
Phone: 208-345-9921

Give them a call and tell them your situation and if they can't help you, I'm sure they will find someone who can. The Red Cross and United Way are also good at providing assistance when needed. Hope this helps! Best of luck to you and your companion! What's his name by the way? :)

Best,

Kari xx

Come to me all you who are weary and burdened and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

Keep your faith!

*** OFF TOPIC**** I apologize, but mneilsen asked for help, and I am responding!

mneilsen- I am so sorry to hear of your loss four years ago. I cannot imagine the personal trials this has caused you and if you ever need anyone to talk to, PLEASE PM me or for that matter, anyone else on here. These people are AMAZING!

As for making sure you have enough to eat, I did some research and Meals on Wheels has a few chapters in Boise. They willl actually deliver food to you on a weekly (I think, or its bi-weekly) basis for like $20 (estimate) a week. My grandmother does this...it's a selection of non-perishable food items as well as poultry and meat products. I believe you could talk to them and get something organized to where they aren't bringing you foods that you won't be able to eat without flaring. Give them a call:

A couple locations in Boise:
Meals-on-Wheels
707 N. Armstrong Place
Boise, ID 83704
Phone: 208-327-7460

Boise Senior Activities Center
690 Robbins Road
Boise, ID 83702
Phone: 208-345-9921

Give them a call and tell them your situation and if they can't help you, I'm sure they will find someone who can. The Red Cross and United Way are also good at providing assistance when needed. Hope this helps! Best of luck to you and your companion! What's his name by the way? :)

Best,

Kari xx

Come to me all you who are weary and burdened and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

Keep your faith!
Thank you Kari, I will call them on Tuesday when business opens again. Do you know if Medicaid or Medicare can help with these meals on wheels fees? I live on 727 a month and before any of my other bills my rent is 425, then I have another hundred go to my bank to go toward paying off a loan, another ninety for phone and internet, roughly sixty for power, and the rest goes to TP and my dog. I get some food stamps but not enough for the "special" foods I need to be eating. Consequently, I have been mixing the bad foods with the good for the past month; to try to make my food stretch for the whole month. I had a roommate until recently but he was emotionally abusive so I had to get out of there. Thank you for listening.

Peanut Butter
Milk mostly
Raisins, Prunes and other dry fruit with fiber! They were really good and I avoided candy but now its the other way around....

Milk, Cheese, Beef, Garden Peas & Bananas. I love all five of them and I can no longer tolerate them :( I'm scared of trying anything different incase it triggers me off and I realise I can no longer have it.

WOW!! No Banannas?!? I would die.....thats one of the only things I can eat....LOL. Strange disease....rakes havic on people in so many different ways. MisB, I cant eat tomatoes either....or tomatoe sauce....I had spaghettie about a week ago, and i suffered for a few days....my whole GI track was sick and I was burning for about a day and a half.....it was terribel.....NO more tomatoes for me....atleast not while Im sick.

WOW!! No Banannas?!? I would die.....thats one of the only things I can eat....LOL. Strange disease....rakes havic on people in so many different ways. MisB, I cant eat tomatoes either....or tomatoe sauce....I had spaghettie about a week ago, and i suffered for a few days....my whole GI track was sick and I was burning for about a day and a half.....it was terribel.....NO more tomatoes for me....atleast not while Im sick.
Spaghetti in tomato sauce was the first 'solid' food I tried. Mainly because it was what I was craving the most at the time. I'm okay with tomatoes with the seeds funnily enough and beans too, which again I thank the lord.

High in fiber cereals such as 'Shreddies' and 'Weetabix' I am okay with but they give me horrible gas.

Thank you Kari, I will call them on Tuesday when business opens again. Do you know if Medicaid or Medicare can help with these meals on wheels fees? I live on 727 a month and before any of my other bills my rent is 425, then I have another hundred go to my bank to go toward paying off a loan, another ninety for phone and internet, roughly sixty for power, and the rest goes to TP and my dog. I get some food stamps but not enough for the "special" foods I need to be eating. Consequently, I have been mixing the bad foods with the good for the past month; to try to make my food stretch for the whole month. I had a roommate until recently but he was emotionally abusive so I had to get out of there. Thank you for listening.
I'm not sure if medicaid or medicare would help with this but I'm almost positive if you contact united way that they will help you find some charity that will assist in the fees. Just dial 2-1-1 from your phone and that will connect you to them. Explain your situation and they always find a way to help!

Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you!

Glad you got away from the abusive roommate...stress does not help our situations at all! You may want to look into finding another roommate to help with costs etc? Just an idea...hope you are feeling better emotionally since finding this forum. I know it has helped me out very much!

Best of luck!

Kari xx

Swirl, i would die without peanut butter! Bless you for having to give that one up!
I am finding things every once in a while that don't work so well anymore. Pizza was the big one. Thought I was going to hurl that night. Won't be eating that again.

Lasagna- I miss it. Really any tomato sauce based food. Pizza isnt too bad. It makes me gases but doesnt cause pain.

I would die if I had to give up ice cream or chocolate

I'm still fairly early into my diagnosis so I'm not 100% sure which foods are worst for me yet, but I can tell you that chocolate really messes me up. I also miss eating hot chicken wings - I used to go to my favorite pub with my friends every week for .35 cent wings, but those days seem to be over.