• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Fatso Needs Help

I notice that most of the posts are for people who want to gain weight. I, on the other hand, look like a pregnant hippo and am so bloated I think I could safely be used as a floatation device!

Every time I eat I bloat like nobody's business. Even if I try a low fat diet, I still look like I've swallowed a beach ball. I share an office at work so I can't just sit and fart all day. FYI, I think farting is one of the most pleasurable passtime in the world. My husband doesn't agree but I spend most evening releasing enough gas to cause my own little hole in the ozone!

Anyway, I was thinking that I'm at the stage where eating is no fun anymore so I ought to do something about it. I thought I might try Slim Fast. Has anyone tried that? Slim Fast and a load of fruit to try and fill me up.

Looking forward to hearing your suggestions.

Jan x

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
HI Jan, welcome. Do you have Crohns or colitis? We could help you better with what IBD you have and your medications if any. Diet does play a role and true to that I am not one of the skinny ones either but I am still careful what I eat. Lots of foods create gas, you have to know which ones to avoid. Sitting all day is the worse thing too... been there done it!

Tell us more about you on a your story thread!

Hi Jettalady,

I have crohns. I'm just in the process of starting on azathioprine, which I hope will be a miracle drug and cure everything!!! (Yeah and I still believe in Father Christmas too!!! lol).

I am mildly lactose intolerant, I can still manage skimmed milk. Crisps are one of my all time favourite foods and are giving me grief and are about to join the "I can no longer eat you" pile, but I love them so much it's hard to stop.

My main problem is wind and urgency. Neither of which are good in an office environment. As Beth suggested, a good walk at lunchtime can be a help, but most of the time it's I need to fart/go and I need to do it NOW!

I am also aware that the ladies loo is right next to the main office, with only a partition wall separating which is rubbish for sound-proofing!

It's all so embarassing!

Jan