• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Flagyl not helping

My daughters been on flagyl for 16 days and is not getting any better.

I've tried ringing the nurse for the last week but she isn't returning my calls...:voodoo:

I don't know what to do...last time i took her to the GP he told me to contact the GI.

I feel like we keep going around in circles.

Shes had diarrhea for 3 weeks (going 2 or 3 times a day) ....would taking her the ER be a good idea?

In my opinion, when in doubt trust your gut. Going to the ER won't hurt, and maybe you can get some answers to ease your mind. Good luck, its so frustrating when you don't know what to do to help. Even more frustrating when the dr/nurse won't get back to you.

personally i would go er, its awful if no ones getting back to you, its so frustrating. Good luck and i hope your daughter gets sorted soon. Bloomin flagyl, my sons on it too and its appetite that worrys me. xx

Its very frustrating ....we've been told any problems just call the nurse.
I don't see why i should be acting like a DR and making decisions ....:(

Last edited:
Today was my last day on these meds I had D the entire 2 weeks up to 7 times a day let me know what u find out !
My daughters supposed to take these for 6 weeks....if i find out anything i'll let you know...but let me know if you get better.

Sorry, no advice, my son was fine on the Flagyl, strange how they all react differently. If in doubt and you can't get hold of anyone, I agree to an ER trip. Hope you get some help

kiny

My worry about Flagyl monotherapy is the resistance it is going to create, every time flagyl works it is in combination with quinolones like cipro to ensure gram-postitive and gram-negative coverage and to prevent resistance, I think flagyl on it's own is a bad idea and I mentioned this in another thread. If flagyl doesn't work you now have created resistance for a number of other antibiotics, like all the quinolones (cipro).

Flagyl should never be given just to try an antibiotic, there has to be evidence of a specific infection that warrants use of flagyl monotherapy, otherwise antibiotics that don't create resistance should be used or broad-spectrum quinolones should be added.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Good to hear that it has had a positive effect. :)

Good luck for tomorrow! I wonder if they will be there, being NYE and all???

Dusty. xxx

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Yeah...I'm just use to everything, well most things, going into close down mode for the two weeks over Christmas/New Year. I surely do hope you get someone to talk to. :hug:

Dusty. xxx

Catherine

Yes I sometimes watch Q And A. I grew up in the sticks. Went to visit my parents on Friday and was reminded of a different way of life.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
It certainly is a different way of life to the city. I was the opposite to you, grew up in Sydney and then went bush!

Dusty.

My daughters gets diarrhea from the Flagyl also. Among other issues belly aches, appetite loss. It gets pretty bad to we use Peptamin Jr for the lack of appetite, Florastor for antibiotic associated diarrhea, we also use bananas, mashed potatoes, rice, PB on white bread, cheese to help bulk up the stools. Keep you eyes open for signs of dehydration which is of upmost importance. Getting a CBC and metabolic panel can also ease you mind and quickly give you answers you need. This is what they will do at the ER, get the on call to write you an order and go to local Hospital blood draw they should be open I would think.

I've been keeping her fluids up to make sure she doesn't get dehydrated.

I tried ringing the nurse but it doesn't look like they're working today.

I stopped the flagyl and the lomotil today to see what happens....i hate it when i have to make my own decisions.

Yeah....she was supposed to be on it for 6 weeks. Last time she only took it for 3 weeks.

I don't know if it was the right thing to do. I kept calling the nurse for over a week but she never calls back.

Well then I would say it was helping. Sometimes the side effects are horrible but still better than bleeding right. My kids got diarrhea all the time bc she is a jpoucher though.

I hope she is ok.

Last edited:
Shes been on flagyl before and has never had a side effect of diarrhea ....now i'm confused..:frown:..this might have just been a side effect..:ybatty:

Might go and give her her tablet now..:confused2:

So sorry to here she's going through this. Grace was on it for 6 weeks and her only problem was no appetite. I hope all gets better soon.

kiny

If you can keep her drinking enough fluids I wouldn't go off flagyl either if it's helping, like Myre said, you can't go off and on it at will, each time you do that you create more and more resistance.

With antibiotics you get a limited amount of tries, the E coli and other strains flagyl can target are highly resistant to begin with. If you go on antibiotics and they work, do everything you can to avoid going on and off.

It's not clear to my why the Flagyl is being used though, is it for your daughter's crohn's disease or is it to avoid an infection from the wound?

METRONIDAZOLE

Possible Side Effects: SIDE EFFECTS that may occur while taking this medicine include appetite loss; constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; headache; metallic taste; nausea; stomach upset; or vomiting. If they continue or are bothersome, check with your doctor. CONTACT YOUR DOCTOR IMMEDIATELY if you experience bloody stools; decreased coordination; increased or decreased urination; numbness, tingling, or burning of your arms, hands, legs, or feet; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin; seizures; severe diarrhea; severe or persistent dizziness or headache; sore throat, chills, or fever; speech problems; stiff neck; stomach pain or cramps; vaginal itching, odor, or discharge; vision loss or other vision changes; or white patches in the mouth. AN ALLERGIC REACTION to this medicine is unlikely, but seek immediate medical attention if it occurs. Symptoms of an allergic reaction include rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue. This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your healthcare provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.

Our doctor felt it very important to make sure there was no tingling... Neuropathy is not good and more common risk factor.

It's not clear to my why the Flagyl is being used though, is it for your daughter's crohn's disease or is it to avoid an infection from the wound?
She was bleeding had diarrhea and abdominal pain.

No infection.

This nurse never gets back to me so i'm always stuck in a difficult situation.

METRONIDAZOLE

Possible Side Effects: SIDE EFFECTS that may occur while taking this medicine include appetite loss; constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; headache; metallic taste; nausea; stomach upset; or vomiting. If they continue or are bothersome, check with your doctor. CONTACT YOUR DOCTOR IMMEDIATELY if you experience bloody stools; decreased coordination; increased or decreased urination; numbness, tingling, or burning of your arms, hands, legs, or feet; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin; seizures; severe diarrhea; severe or persistent dizziness or headache; sore throat, chills, or fever; speech problems; stiff neck; stomach pain or cramps; vaginal itching, odor, or discharge; vision loss or other vision changes; or white patches in the mouth. AN ALLERGIC REACTION to this medicine is unlikely, but seek immediate medical attention if it occurs. Symptoms of an allergic reaction include rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue. This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your healthcare provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.

Our doctor felt it very important to make sure there was no tingling... Neuropathy is not good and more common risk factor.

Thanks Mary

A week ago she had chest pain and tightness in her throat we put it down to heartburn...then a few days ago she woke up complaining of a stiff neck that lasted all day....i wonder if these were side effects..:confused2:

Is she assigned a doctor within a hospital system? We can call the on call Ped GI at the hospital and they can figure out if we should be switched to another med or combined with something else and less of Flagyl. Depends on what they are trying to treat. If the diarrhea is terrible and she is having other side effects it would be worth a call. They might tell you to stop it even.

The hospital where my daughter gets treated is 1 and half hours away.

I usually take her to our local hospital....then they talk to her DRs

They might give you an over the phone consult and get back with you. There is always Attending GIs during the day when the clinic is not open at ours even on holidays. I'd say it is worth a shot.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hey upsetmom,

Did you continue with the Flagyl again?

I personally would not stop it at this point as i don't think the potential side effects were severe enough.

Flagyl is normally prescribed as there is an assumption that when inflammation is present then local infection at the site is also present. The GI tract is not a sterile environment so when the intestinal wall is breached a degree of infection will likely exist. Flagyl also has anti inflammatory properties so that is another added bonus reason for its use.

Dusty. xxx

Yeah Dusty i gave it to her this afternoon...i never knew that diarrhea was a side effect i just thought she wasn't getting better.

And you were right..as always.. the clinic was closed today

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
I wouldn't dare try to advise you on what to do or not to do. Just want to echo your apprehension over making these decisions!! That should definitely not be the case!! I hope it works out for the best!

I finally got in touch with the nurse today. I was told to stop the flagyl and get a blood test done and we'll go from there.

This doesn't seem to end... the diarrhea is worse and shes getting pain straight after eating....it just doesn't make sense to me....:confused2: How can she have lower pain when the food probably hasn't even reached her stomach.

I just hope they sort this out ..the poor girl hasn't had break ....:(

OMG you should have seen what happened today!

My 14 year old niece is afraid of blood tests so my brother thought it might be a good idea to take her along and see how good my daughter handles things.

Everything was going good till we went to walk outside then all of a sudden she fainted. I got so scared i started screaming at my daughter to go get help. Out came a nurse and asked did she just have a blood test... before i could even answer my daughter said no i did!

Anyway we sat her down and she was alright just a bit shaken up.....i told my brother never again.

Last edited:

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Okay, I well imagine they will have LFT's and UEC's in there. I wonder if pancreatic enzymes wouldn't go astray at some point too.

Good grief!!! Your poor niece. :hug: Good to hear she recovered well and I hope your daughter has gone up several notches in her eyes! :)

Dusty. xxx

Oh dear that's a shame. Think alot of kids would faint at the stuff our poor kids have to go through. Poor girl, won't have improved her opinion of blood tests.
Hope the results are ok.

My son was on flagyl for 2 weeks, no luck. I called the doc and he switched him to cipro, i actually asked for it. Cipro really helped, we finished the whole month no problem.

Blood results were good.
ERS was 44 now down to 24.
CRP 0.7

We've been waiting 3 months for the radiologist to review MRE results...:voodoo:

Symptoms are a bit better.
I've been told to start keeping a food diary.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Good to see the bloods are improving. :) but hoping you can find answers somewhere!

3 months?!?!?! No way, that is ridiculous! Is that radiology saying that or the surgery?

Dusty. xxx

I don't know if you remember but we had the MRE done privately and the DR at the clinic said he didn't trust anyone but their radiologist. Then somehow they lost our scans so we had to get another copy and every time i ask whether hes had a look i get a different answer. Well today the nurse told me the radiologist had been on holidays and won't be back till monday.