• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I need HELP!!

My twin brother has crohns and ulcerative colitis. He recently had a crohns attack that lasted almost 3 weeks. He just finished the steroids and over the weekend he got sick again. He's a very private person and he lives across the state from me so I can't get to him right now to see for myself what's going on. He told me last night that it was too close to the steroids to be having another attack and that usually meant something more serious is going on... Anybody had this problem? And can anyone PLEASE tell me what he means by "more serious"? I'd be SO grateful for ANY INFO!!!:smile:

SarahBear

Hi, VirginiaLady. Welcome to the forum!

I'm not entirely sure what he would mean by, "too close to the steroids." Symptoms can return immediately after steroids are stopped - and sometimes during the course of steroids, as the dosage is decreased. This basically means that the steroids reduced the inflammation, but the other maintenance medication (if he is taking one) is no longer working. That's what I would assume in the situation you described.

:hug: I hope everything goes well for him!

Spooky1

sounds like crohns to me! Sorry, but steroids didn't even work for me after a time. could he try some days on salmon and boiled potatoes, perhaps some ensure liquid drinks too. Hope this helps. I agree with Sarah above that plenty of people suffer flares as they get to the lower end of the steroid taper. He may need to continue it at a higher dose for a time.

Have you told him to log on here? He's welcome and lots can identify with him. He won't feel so alone, isolated, embarrassed and will soon learn to come to know 'his' crohns. We're all slightly different with it.

good luck and thanks for asking on his behalf

Karen

FRIEND 4 1 & ALL
My twin brother has crohns and ulcerative colitis. He recently had a crohns attack that lasted almost 3 weeks. He just finished the steroids and over the weekend he got sick again. He's a very private person and he lives across the state from me so I can't get to him right now to see for myself what's going on. He told me last night that it was too close to the steroids to be having another attack and that usually meant something more serious is going on... Anybody had this problem? And can anyone PLEASE tell me what he means by "more serious"? I'd be SO grateful for ANY INFO!!!:smile:

I want to WELCOME YOU to the FORUM ... I am sure that you will find the answers your looking for here. I have my hubby with Crohn's and my # 2 son has ulcerative colitis