• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

In pain and worried

Hi all, i have already posted my story so wont go into it all at the moment I just want some advice for what's happening at the moment. I see my GI Dr in the morning but im worried and in pain and not sure if i should wait until then. I have been suffering with diarrhea for a while but the past 6/7 weeks I am back to the bloated constipation again. If I wait to have a bm it is very painful in the days leading up to it and then its very watery for only 1 bm then back to the constipation again but mostly the pains are so bad I take laxitives so make myself go sooner and agin the bm is very loose. I am suffering at the moment with severe cramping/stitch like feeling in my left side midway between bottom of ribs and hip bone. Also I am vomiting after most food or drinks even if its just a biscuit. I'm also getting very bloated around my abdo but only in the centre from my breastbone down but only in the centre of my abdo not on the sides and also getting chest pain (I don't think its my heart). My sigmoidoscopy was positive for colitis and ogd positive for gastritis and haemorrhaging in my stomach but the colonoscopy was negative. 2 stool samples for calprotectin were high (298&306) and some blood tests showed high markers for inflammation related to the gastro tract. I'm worried that the pains may be a blockage, would anybody have any advice? I started the cramp pains on Thursday last week and used laxitives Friday morning, these worked Sat afternoon but the cramping pains haven't stopped there is also alot of popping in ny tummy (wind?) and passing wind is difficult. Anyone have any advice please?

Hi There

Sorry to hear that you are unwell. Im actually in the process of being diagnosed myself. Given the fact that you are in pain, not having bowel movements and are vomiting I think you should go to casualty where they can give you an abdominal x-ray to check that you don't have any obstruction. Have you tried Buscopan in the meantime?I hope that you feel much better soon and your symptoms resolve. Im sure theres lots of other members who can give you advice but even so I think you should get checked out. All the best xx

Hi Niccj

I agree with Tracey. Get down to A&E and let them have a look. Better to be safe than sorry. I know nobody likes going down to A&E but if it is an obstruction then the sooner the better. Let us know how you get on

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi. I also agree. You need to be checked out. I get a lot of blockages. They can be very serious. Hopefully it's nothing but you need a doctor to rule that out. Please keep us posted.

Hi niccj - I am sorry to hear you are in so much pain :(
I agree with the others, if the pain is so bad.. you should go to A& E

If your sigmoidoscopy showed positive for colitis, then I dont see why they hadnt put you on any meds yet? (I know this isnt helpful to you right now) or is that what your GI will discuss tomorrow?

I really hope this settles for you soon xx

Hi niccj - I am sorry to hear you are in so much pain :(
I agree with the others, if the pain is so bad.. you should go to A& E

If your sigmoidoscopy showed positive for colitis, then I dont see why they hadnt put you on any meds yet? (I know this isnt helpful to you right now) or is that what your GI will discuss tomorrow?

I really hope this settles for you soon xx
Hi Bozzylozzy

I have inflammation at terminal ileum and was prescribed mezovant 1200 for it. 5 days later I had severe stomach cramps that kept me awake all night in agony. It took 3 days of Buscopan and dehydrocodeine before the pain wore off. Ive not been given anything to take since but on Thursday I will see the \gi team to have the results of todays mre and discuss it further. xx

Thanks for all your comments everyone. I've had to put off going to a&e tonight because my husbands workin very early tomorrow and the wait was at least 4 hours!! Will prob get seen faster waiting for gi app in the morning. I don't know why nothing has been started because the sigy results showed excessive ulceration. Not the happiest regarding the treatment received (or lack of!) so far but hopefully tomorrow will shed more light on things. I just want to get sorted, I have no life at all at the moment.
Just looked in the mirror at my swollen tummy and the top part is sticking out quite a bit further than the bottom part! I'm waiting for an mri of the small bowel now also. Will keep you all posted with regards appointment in the morning. And thanks again. Xx

Doesnt sound like fun niccj.. im sorry you havent had a good time in terms of hospital/consultant care.

I am just baffled that you dont have a diagnosis from your siggy. :(
Hope it goes well tomorrow nicc.. have you tried laying on your left side? (To let gravity help everything move along) .. i find patting my tummy and back with a cold/wet flannel helps me (rather than a hot water bottle) other than that I dont really know what else to advise :hug:

Tracy - did the biopsy of you TI inflammation show anything? I had a scope which found small patch of inflammation but biopsy showed unspecified inflammation.

Doesnt sound like fun niccj.. im sorry you havent had a good time in terms of hospital/consultant care.

I am just baffled that you dont have a diagnosis from your siggy. :(
Hope it goes well tomorrow nicc.. have you tried laying on your left side? (To let gravity help everything move along) .. i find patting my tummy and back with a cold/wet flannel helps me (rather than a hot water bottle) other than that I dont really know what else to advise :hug:

Tracy - did the biopsy of you TI inflammation show anything? I had a scope which found small patch of inflammation but biopsy showed unspecified inflammation.
It came back as Acute mild inflammation of TI althought colonoscopy in appearance was normal, I also have an erosion in prepyloric fold, faecal calprotectin was 139, gallstone and cystic lesion on pancreas, folate defieciency too, just awaiting mre results, I may have a capsule endoscopy. will find out on Thursday xx

That was a waste of time! So annoyed, didn't want to listen to me, he said he cant say anything until he has the results of the mri and he's now requesting for that to be done asap. If i carry on vomiting then I need to go in and get put on the drip. He said scopes were all ok even the the siggy and ogd weren't but wasn't listening or wasn't concerned when I said that the first ones did say something and that I was sent home being told its either crohns, colitis or cancer! The nurse who told me this also told me which dr I would be under the care of 'just like her son!'. More blood tests done and now have to wait for mri results before I go back. :(

Hello Niccj, I feel your frustration. I don't know why some consultants have to take such an offhand approach. One of the worst times in the whole Crohn's/Colitis "journey" is the waiting to get a definitive diagnosis so proper treatment can start to get everything under control. You would think the doctors would have learned how stressful this is by now and would treat their patients accordingly.

As bozzylozzy says - you could always get a second opinion. You can choose which hospital you get treated by.

Thanks bozzylozzy, my gp has been worse than the hospital with all of this, i have suffered for a long time and the gps were telling me its constipation and depression and anxiety!! Lost faith in a lot of people lately.
I totally agree highland rock, all I want is to know what's wrong and get some treatment to make things better. I've been told to go in if the fluid intake gets worse so I may just do that and hope for everything to be tested etc whilst I'm in, the problem with that is I would need time off work and all my sick leave has already been used because of all my problems this past 9 months and so I can only do that when absolutely necessary. Feel awful for my family because I don't have time to run upstairs everytime I vomit and so I have my 'sickbowl' in the living room with me which isn't very nice for them :( arrrgh I feel so fed up and angry! Thanks all. X