• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Just diagnosed, but I am resisting

I am a 54 year old male and have stomach issues all my life. From cramping, pain, bloating to long term diarrhea. I learned to live with all of those symptoms and just thought they were part of my life. 5 years ago I had a colonoscopy and it was clean, yes clean. A few months though I had my first real crisis which was a bowel obstruction. I of course did not know what it was at the time so I drove myself to the emergency room. I was lucky and the obstruction cleared while I was there and was aloud to go home. This was a wake up call for me. I made another appointment with the gastro doctor in town who scheduled me for a colonoscopy, but living in a small town I had to wait a few months to get this done. During that time I went gluten free and pretty much dairy free. That pretty much fixed my diarrhea problem. So when I get my colonoscopy they find crohns. I was pretty shocked because my last one was clean. I was immediately put on prednisone. I hated the side effects so I stopped it after a few days. They then tried Entocort, which I just started taking along with Apriso. If I can tolerate these drugs, I am going to try them for a few months to try to knock the inflamation down (my CRP was up around 100) and see what happens. I may or may not ever have another obstruction and the meds may or may not even prevent one if I do. I hate taking any drugs and want to try to keep this under control with diet and the right supplements. Has anyone else just said no to drugs and kept their crohns under control without them?

No I haven't but I really want to I'm also on entocort right now it's worked pretty good for me so far though the last 2 days I've had a lil blood after a bm? Anyways I'm about to start a strict diet and eliminate a lot of foods that may be affecting my gut negatively and I've starting taking otc probiotics to see if that helps stable me out but I wish u the best of luck and let us know how everything is going

I never had any bleeding, fever, vomiting. Just the other symptoms. I have to believe that diet can keep this under control for me but I am going to give the meds a few months to see if they can help at the start. I found it very easy to go gluten free. You just make better choices. I pretty much do a paleo type diet. cheese has been a little harder but I have cut way back. Its the only dairy I have.

That's what I'm about to start is the paleo diet and I'm fine taking meds but I don't thank we can't totally depend on them it's kinda crazy to take meds and not try and change ur lifestyle as well.

that is my thinking. If I can cure my diarrhea just by cutting out gluten then maybe eventually I can control the rest of my symptoms with diet and supplements. these drugs they have me on are so expensive no wonder why they want me on them for life.

I am a 54 year old male and have stomach issues all my life. From cramping, pain, bloating to long term diarrhea. I learned to live with all of those symptoms and just thought they were part of my life. 5 years ago I had a colonoscopy and it was clean, yes clean. A few months though I had my first real crisis which was a bowel obstruction. I of course did not know what it was at the time so I drove myself to the emergency room. I was lucky and the obstruction cleared while I was there and was aloud to go home. This was a wake up call for me. I made another appointment with the gastro doctor in town who scheduled me for a colonoscopy, but living in a small town I had to wait a few months to get this done. During that time I went gluten free and pretty much dairy free. That pretty much fixed my diarrhea problem. So when I get my colonoscopy they find crohns. I was pretty shocked because my last one was clean. I was immediately put on prednisone. I hated the side effects so I stopped it after a few days. They then tried Entocort, which I just started taking along with Apriso. If I can tolerate these drugs, I am going to try them for a few months to try to knock the inflamation down (my CRP was up around 100) and see what happens. I may or may not ever have another obstruction and the meds may or may not even prevent one if I do. I hate taking any drugs and want to try to keep this under control with diet and the right supplements. Has anyone else just said no to drugs and kept their crohns under control without them?
Yes..I have. I've had crohns for 18 years including 2 re-sect surgeries. I am 46, and have things well under control..Don't know if my path will work for you, but would be happy to share it if you like. DGH

Last edited by a moderator: