• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Starting school with a stoma

Nyx

I start school on Tuesday, September 7th...gotta say, I'm a bit nervous!!! The work is not worrying me; I've always been good in school. I'm worried about Oscar...lol So, my question to my fellow ostomites is this: Should I tell my classmates about him? Get it out there right away so that if he acts up, everyone won't judge? Or should I keep it quiet and tell only when I need to? Or go to the school and see if I can get some special privileges like taking tests in private so that I don't have to worry about wayward noises?

It's all very confusing!

Any advice would be welcome :)

I think that everyone is different in how they handle this but personally have been very honest with everyone from friends to co-workers. I think that it helps people feel more comfortable with it if you seem comfortable with it. It also helps me not to feel awkward or embarrassed if I don't act like it is an embarrassing thing. Everyone has been very supportive and not weird about it.

However, if you are worried about it making noise and being disruptive, it wouldn't hurt to take the teacher aside and let her know that you might need to leave the room from time to time or take your tests in another room!

Good luck! :)

What are you studying by the way?

I'm into my second week of school with Reni and things couldn't be better. I have only told one person so far about Reni and that was today when I went to touch my bag and they heard the plastic sound. They asked if it was an ice bag so I just told him the truth. They didn't seem bothered by it at all.

Hey Cindy - I don't have an Oscar so I'm of no help with your questions, but I just wanted to say Happy Back to School to you! :ybiggrin:

YAY! You can do it!!! I cant help you either but trust your gut :D You will know what to do at the time.
Good luck at school !!

Astra

Yeah Cindy!
Just be yourself! if you're comfy with Oscar, I'm sure everyone else will too!
No need to announce it straight away, find your bearings first, settle in and let it come up in conversation sometime.
sending lotsa luck Cindy, you're gonna do smashin hun!
xxxxx

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Yay! :banana: Hey I met Cindy and I would never know she has an Oscar!!! Don't worry, there are enough breaks that you can go check him out. Best thing is tell your teachers up front, not like you are a kid trying to sneak away for a smoke break LOL. I am so envious that you are doing that!! You will do awesome :medal1:.

Keep us posted how you do!:D

Nyx

Thanks for the input everyone! I think I'll just tell my teachers and leave it at that for now...see if Oscar behaves himself or not....lol

This is a tough one. I guess I would just try the hand over the stoma when I feel it acting up. At work I have my own office, so that makes life easy. This morning I was in my boss's office and it was making some small noises. Luckily he is my good friend too. He was just laughing. great.
When I have someone in my office I know well and it makes a little noise I just ignore it. But, luckily again, it has not made a big noise with someone I don't know well. I don't worry about it too much anymore. Mine is mostly well behaved.

Maybe I missed it, but what are you going back to school for? Good luck, I'm sure you'll do great!

Last edited:
@ Cindy - Good Luck with School!! I am sure you will do just great!

I prefer to tell people that need to know but I don't go out and advertise it to the world. Today I was in a meeting and some sounds came out but not too bad. I found out that if I wear my bag inside my undi and the belt over it (not too snug LOL) it muffles the sounds.
You have the best attitude in the world and I am sure you will make the right decision.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hey Cindy,

As you know Roo doesn't have an ostomy but does have SBS so the whole toilet thing is pretty obvious at times. I know at high school everyone knew about it as she would announce, after being in the bathroom, "I wouldn't go in there if I were you, I have a bowel disease you know". :lol: Now she is at uni she has told me all her friends know she has Crohns.

Good luck with your studies and good on you for pursuing your dreams!!!

Dusty. :)

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
I'm going back for Architecture.
Ha, I just told Wally about you going back to school and of course he asked what classes and I said I didnt know. You just answered my question or rather his :kello:

Let us know how you like it!:ysmile: