• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Colloidal silver?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone here used this for IBD? My 11 year old daughter has mild ulcerative colitis, and has been on med for 3 (almost 4) years now. I was talking to someone a few days ago who mentioned Colloidal silber. They told me to research it and consider trying it. I have been looking around the net, but figured what better place to ask. From what I've been told it rids the body of bacteria and reduces inflamation. If you have any experience either way, please let me know. Thank you :)

Over the years I heard so many good things about it but the chance of it turning your skin blue scares me away from it. Granted the people taking it probably took huge dosage but still.

David

Co-Founder
It's one of the "miracle cures" that has no scientific backing that I can find. If anyone can find any reputable studies that showcase its efficacy, by all means, please share them as I'd hate to be providing misinformation.

rygon

What Ive read about it i'd stay well clear. It seems its a great disinfectant, but much like bleach, it does differ from good living cells to bad so will destroy anything in its path.

So good for external use but dangerous for internal use (chekc out wikipedia for more info)

Thank you for all the replies. I have a friend who swears by it, has for years. She told me to try it for my daughter long before she was diagnosed. From what I've read you would have to drink a whole lot to change your skin colour. I will read up on it :) I would never give it to my daughter without asking her doctor first either.

I had it and used it externallly at first , personally I think its overated , its good for healing external wounds, but internal ???? its a different system mucous,In the early days before diagnosis i tried the whole entire alternative route .. but if your bowel is reacting internally to your own immune system, need i say more. rheumatiod arthritis is an auto-immune illness too .. I wish you every succes with your dr's and your daughter , she has youth and a good immunity on her side , take good care xxx

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Colloidal Silver is a very controversial and polarising treatment for various ailments. I have no personal experience and as David has said it is difficult to find reputable studies if at all.

I posted this in an old thread about Colloidal Silver...

This is a a bulletin put out by the Australian Government and refers to chronic ingestion of colloidal silver-

Dangers associated with chronic ingestion of colloidal silver
ADRAC has received four reports of silver toxicity (argyria) following ingestion of homemade products containing colloidal silver (tiny particles of metallic silver suspended in liquid) prepared using a "colloidal silver generator":

A 5 year old boy who ingested colloidal silver daily for several months developed grey discolouration of skin and tongue and abnormal hepatic function.
An elderly man who drank colloidal silver daily for 6 months required hospital admission for debilitating fatigue accompanied by blue skin discolouration, dilated cardiomyopathy, amnesia and incoherent speech.
An elderly man consuming liquid made using a "colloidal silver generator" over a 4 year period developed grey skin discolouration.
An adult male ingesting homemade colloidal silver daily for 3 years and also applying it topically after shaving developed generalised skin discolouration.
In each case, the plasma silver concentration was many times higher than in subjects not knowingly exposed to silver (background levels up to 2.3 µg/L have been reported1).

There are no products containing colloidal silver approved for marketing in Australia.2 With the exception of registered topical silver preparations, there is no evidence to support the safety or efficacy of silver regardless of its form or method of manufacture.3 In addition, silver has no known nutritional benefit and its well-defined toxicity can occur with all forms of the metal, including silver salts and colloids3,4 Despite this, claims of therapeutic benefit continue to be made for colloidal silver products.

While the TGA will take action to stop the supply of unapproved colloidal silver products that make therapeutic claims, "colloidal silver generators" are currently exempt from regulation and therefore remain available in Australia.

Argyria is the main toxicity associated with chronic ingestion or topical absorption of silver, including colloidal forms of silver. It is characterised by an irreversible, generalised blue-grey discoloration of the subepithelial layer of skin. Later, the entire skin, deep tissues, mucous membranes, nails, conjunctiva, cornea, and lens may be affected.

Argyria discolouration may be misdiagnosed as cyanosis, methaemoglobinaemia or haemochromatosis. Other toxicities associated with ingested silver may include peripheral neuropathies, seizures, and haematological, cardiac, hepatic and nephrotoxic derangements.3,4

ADRAC has received no reports of argyria associated with legitimate therapeutic goods containing presentations of silver that remain appropriate, for example, topical silver nitrate for neonatal conjunctivitis or silver sulfadiazine for burns.

Patients seeking information on claimed benefits of colloidal silver should be advised of the lack of evidence for therapeutic benefit and the potential for toxicity associated with colloidal silver preparations. Patients should be strongly discouraged from using products made with "colloidal silver generators".

Reference
Wan A T et al. Determination of silver in blood urine and tissues of volunteers and burn patients. Clin. Chem. (1991); 37:1683
http://www.tga.gov.au/docs/html/csilver.htm
Federal Register: August 17, 1999 (Volume 64, Number 158) [Rules and Regulations] Over-the-Counter Drug Products Containing Colloidal Silver Ingredients or Silver Salts
White J et al. Severe generalized argyria secondary to ingestion of colloidal silver protein. Clinical and Experimental Dermatology 2003; 28: 254-256
Dusty. xxx

Thank you :) I figured it was too good to be true lol But stranger things have happened so I thought I'd ask. I would never try giving her anything without talking to her dr first. I have been reading and will keep on reading.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Good luck hun. I well know the drive and desire to do everything we can for our children. :)

Dusty. xxx

Thank you, I skimmed throug it and didn't see a thing about colloidal silver, but I will look again, I have the page open :)

kiny

Colloidal silver kills bacteria they claim. Acid detergent kill bacteria too, and so does bleech from your local shop, do you just swallow them down too?

What about the silver, if someone has ulcers inflammation, wounds, that silver is not going to cause an immune response there? your body is just going to clear it out without issues? I doubt it.

Only non-pharmaceutical antibiotic I know of that has shown to be somewhat safe in very low dose is essential oils, and even they can cause issues if you don't take them properly, cause it's really concentrated and it can still cause inflammation of mucosa, and it wasn't even tested on people on IBD.

I've been using it for almost 2 years off and on with probiotics and continue to. By the research i've done, I have found it to be perfectly safe. I make it myself using my own machine I bought because it's way over priced on the internet or in health stores.

My Crohn's seems to be different than in most because I absolutely do not respond to any of the conventional meds prescribed to me. I am by no means cured or in what I call remission, but i'm doing much better than when I was on the medication(Remicade, Asacol, many others) and also better than when taking nothing at all. It definitely helps me.

Let me know if you have any questions

Last edited by a moderator:

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
My grandparents got suckered into buying that crap and not long after they were wondering why they both had diarrhea. My grandpa stopped taking it because I told him it does more harm that good to ingest that stuff and his diarrhea went away completely. Now my grandma is the only one with diarrhea and doesn't know why...

Turning blue or grey is possible as mentioned and was more common with the first silver products that came out because the dose was higher and it contained more silver but that doesn't mean it isn't possible with the newer silver solution they made up in their garage.

If there's no scientific evidence that supports its claims than stay away from it.

We used colloidal silver to get over c diff and Chloe felt like it helped her so we kept giving it to her. She takes about 4 tablespoons a day. In contrast the famous " blue guy" drank a liter a day for 14 years. Pm me if you have questions.

My grandparents got suckered into buying that crap and not long after they were wondering why they both had diarrhea. My grandpa stopped taking it because I told him it does more harm that good to ingest that stuff and his diarrhea went away completely. Now my grandma is the only one with diarrhea and doesn't know why...

Turning blue or grey is possible as mentioned and was more common with the first silver products that came out because the dose was higher and it contained more silver but that doesn't mean it isn't possible with the newer silver solution they made up in their garage.

If there's no scientific evidence that supports its claims than stay away from it.
Just curious, what are they taking it for? It helps to also take probiotics. All antibiotics cause diarrhea, even the ones prescribed for Crohn's such as Flagyl.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Sometimes you would see adds at the bottom of the threads so I'd also like to add that any add that popped up containing silver products got deleted because of their lack of scientific backing and that the majority of people who ingest these products report getting sick.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Just curious, what are they taking it for? It helps to also take probiotics. All antibiotics cause diarrhea, even the ones prescribed for Crohn's such as Flagyl.
They were taking it to help improve their overall general health and no other reason. Basically they saw it on TV or in a bogus magazine and started buying boxes of the stuff. My grandma even put it on the cancer spots on my grandpa's head and surprise surprise it didn't do anything and he still had to have them burned off at the doctor's office.

They eat plenty of natural probiotics from yogurt etc.

Why bring up antibiotics? People don't take them if they don't need them. Silver products aren't sold only to those who have diseases, they're sold to everyone simply to promote good health etc. Its a crock.

You're right, it's way overblown I agree. I bring up antibiotics because it is an accepted medical treatment for Crohn's and UC and one of the first things my GI prescribed me when I was diagnosed.

Remicade has scientific research and studies. Silver products don't end of story.
Silver products do have research and have been around longer. Just do a search on Pubmed. My mother, a wound ostomy and continents nurse uses many FDA approved silver products in the hospital including the ER and Burn center.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Burn center? That's outside of the body. Drinking it is another matter. I did research it and that's why I told my grandparents to stop taking it yet only one did so only one got better.

Correct it is. I'm just showing an example that it is accepted as antimicrobial in the medical community and does have scientific research behind it. Drinking it is an alternative therapy which I see you're totally against and I totally respect that. If I could have remission from a biologic like you I would def have stayed with that treatment. Thats awesome.

yeah the weird thing is biologics and collidol silver both didn't help me for some reason I felt horrible on remicade and then when i tried natural therapies with collidol silver I felt the same as on remicade tired flu like symptoms more bm"s and D then stopped the collidol silver and felt better

I think you may have just experienced the Jarisch-Herxheimer reaction which was originally noted with the first use of antibiotics for the treatment of syphilis. If you do decide to try it again, stick with it and your reaction will eventually subside. A number of patients I spoke to who are on the RMAT therapy have terrible reactions at first, but then said they experienced remission. If our disease is viral, it will take a long course of some type of anti-biotic to rid the body completely.

Has anyone here used this for IBD? My 11 year old daughter has mild ulcerative colitis, and has been on med for 3 (almost 4) years now. I was talking to someone a few days ago who mentioned Colloidal silber. They told me to research it and consider trying it. I have been looking around the net, but figured what better place to ask. From what I've been told it rids the body of bacteria and reduces inflamation. If you have any experience either way, please let me know. Thank you :)
i have had ulcerative colitis for 10 years, i was on the last possible non threatening medication canasa and lialda, and it was not working. doctor was ready to put me on remicade where i would be put on transfusions. then a family member told me about collodial silver and i said i would like to try it before i go into debt over this other medication and have other serious risk factors. i couldnt eat i couldnt drink not even regular water, i had to drink distilled water. my hair starting falling out. i was bad. i started taking it in october and havent been back to the doctor since. i feel like i have a normal person now. i dont have diaherria any more. i can eat and drink what i want even alcohol. i seriously recommend trying it and sticking through with it. i have to take it daily and i am normal. cant miss a day but i only have to take a drink or two a day and thats absolutley it. i still take my required medication but if i miss my medication i am still fine. doctor is probably wondering why im not dead right now lol.

i have had ulcerative colitis for 10 years, i was on the last possible non threatening medication canasa and lialda, and it was not working. doctor was ready to put me on remicade where i would be put on transfusions. then a family member told me about collodial silver and i said i would like to try it before i go into debt over this other medication and have other serious risk factors. i couldnt eat i couldnt drink not even regular water, i had to drink distilled water. my hair starting falling out. i was bad. i started taking it in october and havent been back to the doctor since. i feel like i have a normal person now. i dont have diaherria any more. i can eat and drink what i want even alcohol. i seriously recommend trying it and sticking through with it. i have to take it daily and i am normal. cant miss a day but i only have to take a drink or two a day and thats absolutley it. i still take my required medication but if i miss my medication i am still fine. doctor is probably wondering why im not dead right now lol.

This thread is pretty interesting.
I don't have Crohn's disease but I have a friend that does and I was wondering if Colloidal Silver would work for it so I came here.
I have been taking it for about 15 years and have had zero side effects during this time and it has helped with a multitude of problems. I got it due to having a lot of tonsillitis, about 5-6 times a year, and it worked every time. I thought I had it really bad once but it turned out to be glandular fever and the colloidal silver had no affect on it.
My wife can't take it as it binds her up and she can't go to the toilet for about a week so it's not for her. It doesn't give her diarrhea as some have suggested.
I broke a tooth once and cracked the whole top off it and I couldn't get to the dentist for a few days so I swished a mouthful of it around and kept it in my mouth for about 5 minutes then swallowed and did this about 10 times. The tooth ache went away about 3 hours later. I kept this up for a few days then decided to get the tooth fixed at a later date. 8 years later I did and the tooth had hardened up really well and the dentist put screws in it and built the top of the tooth up good as new. Any time the tooth ached I swilled some solution around my mouth for a while and the ache went away. The same with another cracked tooth on the other side.
I have had really bad stomach aches and have taken the silver and the aches went away about 1 hour later.
I have had no problems with turning blue as I only take the recommended 5 ppm and sometimes 15 ppm and not every day. I may go months without taking it.
It doesn't work on everything but It really does help with a lot for me. It seems to be a very personal thing and what works on some doesn't work on others.
I do get tired but that is my sleep apnea not the silver.
If it works for you then great but if it doesn't then try something else. Pretty simple. I make my own too and still have the original electrodes on the machine and I think I will get another 20 years out of it.
I love it. !
I might try it on my friend after I let her know what has been said on this forum as I only want her to make HER choice not blindly take something she may have problems with after.
Thanks for all the input people. :)

nogutsnoglory

It is NOT safe and we here at crohnsforum do not approve of its use.

"Colloidal silver isn't considered safe or effective for any of the health claims manufacturers make. Silver has no known purpose in the body. Nor is it an essential mineral, as some sellers of silver products claim.

Colloidal silver products are made of tiny silver particles suspended in a liquid — the same type of precious metal used in jewelry, dental fillings, silverware and other consumer goods. Colloidal silver products are usually marketed as dietary supplements that are taken by mouth. Colloidal silver products also come in forms to be injected or applied to the skin.

Manufacturers of colloidal silver products often claim that they are cure-alls, boosting your immune system, fighting bacteria and viruses, and treating cancer, HIV/AIDS, shingles, herpes, eye ailments and prostatitis. However, no sound scientific studies to evaluate these health claims have been published in reputable medical journals. In fact, the Food and Drug Administration has taken action against some manufacturers of colloidal silver products for making unproven health claims.

It's not clear how much colloidal silver may be harmful, but it can build up in your body's tissues over months or years. Most commonly, this results in argyria (ahr-JIR-e-uh), a blue-gray discoloration of your skin, eyes, internal organs, nails and gums. While argyria doesn't pose a serious health problem, it can be a cosmetic concern because it doesn't go away when you stop taking silver products.

Rarely, excessive doses of colloidal silver can cause possibly irreversible serious health problems, including kidney damage and neurological problems such as seizures. Colloidal silver products may also interact with medications, including penicillamine, quinolone, tetracycline and thyroxine medications."
http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l.../expert-answers/colloidal-silver/faq-20058061

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
NGNG, I couldn't have said it better myself. I don't think there needs to be any further discussion on this subject so I am closing this thread.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Status
Not open for further replies.