• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Humira as maintenance?

My Son just started Humira about one week ago. He got the injection Monday evening and Tuesday morning he was up with no pain in his legs (even though he has crohn's, he gets pain in his legs and joints)...he ate a huge breakfast and went to school running up and down the stairs (because he had no feet pain)..he is eating like a horse now. I am so happy for him.

GI says he should do a blood test before the next dose...just to check him. He is dependent on Calcort and I cannot wait to start tapering...and I pray everything will go smoothly.

The question is, after he is in remission (i am thinking positive), will he have to continue on Humira? or can he move on to other maintenance drug?...like Asacol

Likely he will have to continue on. It makes sense if he is at the point where he needs it to keep it. You can't go on and off biologics like Humira because you may form antibodies.

Agreed. Since pediatric CD is usually more aggressive and progressive then keeping a biologic is usually best. Most often if the biologic starts to fail then you move to another biologic. Stopping a biologic can lead to building antibodies.

I've been on Humira for 6 months now! Doing well....joint and foot pain pretty much gone. As a matter of fact I've been able to start exercising 3-4 per week! It's given me my life and energy back! Haven't felt this good in years! Colonoscopy scheduled for next month to verify the ulcers on the terminal ileum have healed!!!!

I agree with the others. With TNF blockers it is important to stay on them since you can develop antibodies and in turn an anaphylactic reaction. I was on Humira for about 3-4 months in great shape before I developed a reaction. Wasn't meant to be for me but I wish you guys all the best!

Stay on it. Humira has been a great maintenance med for me. I have been on it for coming on 4 years with no side effects and no major flares. I still battle with the "D" now and then, but nothing major.

Stay on it. Humira has been a great maintenance med for me. I have been on it for coming on 4 years with no side effects and no major flares. I still battle with the "D" now and then, but nothing major.
He is on 40mg every 2 weeks. When remission occurs, is this reduced?