• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Breeza for MRE prep

I heard from a parent at a local support group that her daughter drank Breeza as a prep for an MRE and that it tastes much better than the usual Barium. I only know of one facility locally that is offering this method (though there could be others?). Anyone have experience with this? Just curious if you/your kiddo thought it tasted better? Also wondering if the prep worked as well and/or there were any problems reading the results - or if they were just as good?

my little penguin

Staff member
Ds used it for his last Mre
He was still nauesous ( extremely with it )
Only slight improvement with taste
We found its best to go to the kiddie hospital for procedures
They are used to kids and the equipment is designed for kids
As well as more experience reading kiddie Mre
Since they aren't just smaller adults

Thanks MLP. Bummer that it was only a slight improvement on taste and about the nausea. That's good to know though - at least I won't get my daughter's hope up too high.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
No experience with Breeza here, had to look up what it was. :eek:

Things have changed quite a bit where we are, Aus, and our local radiographers are now using milk, water alone is the one fluid not suitable as it is absorbed too quickly. The last one my son had, he is a young adult, was psyllium. He has in the past had the stock standard prep and the move away from the original preps in our experience has not affected the quality of the films as the reported outcomes have been validated as accurate when scoping was done. The oral prep for an MRE is really just a way of loading the small bowel with fluid to enable better acuity in distinguishing it from other anatomical features in the abdomen.

No experience with Breeza here, had to look up what it was. :eek:

Things have changed quite a bit where we are, Aus, and our local radiographers are now using milk, water alone is the one fluid not suitable as it is absorbed too quickly. The last one my son had, he is a young adult, was psyllium. He has in the past had the stock standard prep and the move away from the original preps in our experience has not affected the quality of the films as the reported outcomes have been validated as accurate when scoping was done. The oral prep for an MRE is really just a way of loading the small bowel with fluid to enable better acuity in distinguishing it from other anatomical features in the abdomen.
Wish they would use milk here, Dusty! I asked a few tech's about it, but they all seemed reluctant to do it unless you were allergic or couldn't tolerate the Barium. So frustrating! Thanks for your response!

Update: My daughter had the MRE this past weekend and drank Breeza for the prep. Her experience was: the taste was 100 times better than Barium; that it didn't burn like Barium and it didn't make her nauseous like Barium did. I don't know how the scan came out yet - hopefully it's clear. She drank 2 bottles, though they initially said she'd need to drink 3, but they never gave her the 3rd. She did say it left a medicine after-taste that was gross.

From MLP's response, I guess not everyone has the same experience, but for my daughter, this stuff is a game-changer! It's so much better than Barium! I just wanted to update this thread in case anyone else might benefit from this information.

On a side note, this is her 3rd MRE this year. It's the first time they positioned her on her stomach (the others were on her back). Just curious what other's experiences have been with that?

my little penguin

Staff member
Really ???
All of Ds Mre of his abdomen have always been on his stomach with his arms above his head
Which makes his arthritis worse and vomiting worse while in the machine btw

So glad she liked the breeza better
Fwiw Ds is allergic to everything used to scan barium iodine contrast galulidium etc ...
So I am sure whatever is in breeza would fall in the same category and cause his symptoms (he was put on iv steriods for 24 hours prior to get him through the Mre without a reaction)

Fingers crossed for good results soon

Really ???
All of Ds Mre of his abdomen have always been on his stomach with his arms above his head
Which makes his arthritis worse and vomiting worse while in the machine btw

So glad she liked the breeza better
Fwiw Ds is allergic to everything used to scan barium iodine contrast galulidium etc ...
So I am sure whatever is in breeza would fall in the same category and cause his symptoms (he was put on iv steriods for 24 hours prior to get him through the Mre without a reaction)

Fingers crossed for good results soon
That's interesting about your son's MRE's always done when he is on his stomach. I wonder if they could do his on his back? I asked the tech about it and they said they get less movement and better pics when they are on their stomach. I just thought it was interesting that the other two places didn't do it that way if that was the case...

That is terrible about yoru son's allergies and the steroids, etc.! As if it's not bad enough to be sick - but to have the diagnostic tests make you feel worse is just terrible! :frown:

Thanks for your response!

My son has had 3 MREs (always on his back, with his hands above his head for part of the test), but has always had issues with getting the barium down, and keeping it down. I'm excited to hear about Breeza, and even more excited about the possibility of using milk (my son would have not problem chugging down milk). Hope it becomes standard in Canada!

Good to hear about the Breeza as Jack is due for imaging this year and it will most likely be an MRE since he has small bowel involvement. He hates the barium, he throws up horribly every time. Calls it Satan's drink. He keeps trying to talk his GI out of it (since he feels good). I don't think GI is going to let him go to far past December since that will be 3 years and will definitely have to be done before he leaves for college next summer.
He would be all over the milk option...

my little penguin

Staff member
Fwiw very few places in the us will use the milk option
So I would hold off before telling kids milk could replace the barium or breeza soln