• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Fecal Calprotectin Result 128

I just had my first ever fecal calprotectin test and it came back at 128.. I don't see my new GI until next week. Can anyone comment if this is in the normal range. I've googled and the websites are saying positive for IBD. Hoping anyone with experience with this test can comment. Thanks in advance.

scottsma

I think the normal levels are about 60,so you are most likely showing some inflamation.Mine was 300 and I had inflammation in the Splenic Flexure.This showed uo in an MRI scan which I had after the calprotectin scan results.BUT it isn't unknown for some people to have levels of 1200 and more.I'm sure someone will be along soon who can give you more and better information.

It depends on which lab used as to whether 128 would fall in the Normal Reference Range. For instance, both Quest and Labcorp used the same units of measurement but Quest has a Normal Reference Range if <167 (or 162.7 can't remember exactly) whereas Labcorp has a Normal Reference Range of <50.

So, I don't have CD but my son does, I was tested due GI issues (turned out to be gastritis) and my fc level was in the 100s (can't remember but I think like 159) because I used quest labs my result was normal.

My son, has CD, and has never reached remission an fc level of 300 correlated with his scope and MRE tests at the time that showed simmering inflammation(although asymptomatic). In full blown flare he was 1700(fully symptomatic).

We are waiting on an fc result now and we know it's gonna be raised due ton a recent scope and iron deficiency anemia progressing. Kinda dreading the fc result!

It depends on which lab used as to whether 128 would fall in the Normal Reference Range. For instance, both Quest and Labcorp used the same units of measurement but Quest has a Normal Reference Range if <167 (or 162.7 can't remember exactly) whereas Labcorp has a Normal Reference Range of <50.

So, I don't have CD but my son does, I was tested due GI issues (turned out to be gastritis) and my fc level was in the 100s (can't remember but I think like 159) because I used quest labs my result was normal.

My son, has CD, and has never reached remission an fc level of 300 correlated with his scope and MRE tests at the time that showed simmering inflammation(although asymptomatic). In full blown flare he was 1700(fully symptomatic).

We are waiting on an fc result now and we know it's gonna be raised due ton a recent scope and iron deficiency anemia progressing. Kinda dreading the fc result!
Ok so my test was done through Quest. The reference number says <OR=162.9 and units mcg/g. My result is 128.2. So maybe that is normal?

Yes, for Quest you are in the Normal Reference range. And most GIs would think that a good number for someone with CD unless they thought the number was trending upward looking at several fc tests over a period of time. In that case, they might want to retest in another 3 months.

It can take some time for the fc numbers to come down so docs tend to spread them out over a couple or few months.