• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Clinical Studies

K

Kossy

Does anyone else get mail asking if you'd like to be a ginnypig on some sort of experiment????

I ask because I received a letter from U of M hospital asking me to participate in a study. I quickly glanced over it and didn't really see what it was about but I'll have to check it out again later when I get home.

I've done this a couple times in my life. The greatest time was when I was about 13. I was given this drug and I had to go the doctors every week for blood work and a check up. I got paid 50 bucks a doctors visit. It lasted for to months... My parents let me keep the money.. I was rich for 13 year old standards back then.

K

Kossy

Well I guess I am just disposable to them. I'm surpirsed they don't have a cage for me at the hospital with all the other mice. Oh oh.. that would be awesome if they did. I love cheese.

K

Kate

well thats for me to know and you to wonder mwahahahahahahaha :p

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
I never have received anything. I do not know if I would do all the studies, but I would be interested in getting some requests at least. Would make me feel wanted :D.

J

jyarmo

Yeah, Im not so sure I'd feel comfortable taking a drug that was still going through clinical studies. I'd much rather not have the money they were paying and not have to deal with (the potenial for) harmful side effects! ;)

K

Kossy

Ok, so here is the letter I got. I thought about type it all out but in my effort of being as lazy as possible I just scanned the letter..... I am sorry I know it's hard to read.

I would have done it but #2 in the exclusion to the study disqualifies me.

Last edited:
K

Kossy

jyarmo said:
Yeah, Im not so sure I'd feel comfortable taking a drug that was still going through clinical studies. I'd much rather not have the money they were paying and not have to deal with (the potenial for) harmful side effects! ;)
Hell get a few bucks if I have to take one for "Team Crohines" I do it.

My mind set is this. In baseball, if it's in the late innings and you're down by a few runs it's the batters job to get on base any way possible. If that means leaning in and getting hit by a pitch (it might hurt but in the long it could make all the difference) to get on base then that's what I will do.

It's basically the same way I feel about being a part of a clinical study. If I grow an extra limb or lose all my hair (not much left anyway) but in the long run it's helping the solve the mystery then I'll do it.

M

mikeplatt8

Give me some of that mail

I wish I recieved mail about research I would prolly accept it and go in with my head up!!

J

jyarmo

I like that attitude Kossy...hopefully this drug is a home run for all of us! ;)

K

Kate

Kossy said:
great now you think I am a snobby, don't you?

you snobby haha what a joke no an in hte closet snob maybe haha and you try to cover it up with your love of the family guy hehe