• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Pre-op

I have my pre-op tomorrow for something like my tenth surgery. I really don't want to go. At least it's at 8am so I can get it over with. :(

scottsma

:goodluck:I hope it all goes well for you UX. Can I ask what you're having done and how long you'll be in Hospital and what your recovery time will be ?:getwell:

I can understand that :D I never want to go to appointments like that!

I hope it goes really well though and the outcome is positive. And that there will not be much time in hospital :ghug:

Hi scottsma, well tomorrow's just the pre-op assessment, so I don't know why I'm so nervous as the actual surgery will be whenever the NHS decides I've made it to the top of the waiting list, which could be weeks or months (you're in the UK so I'm sure you know all about NHS waiting lists ;) ). They're going to look to see if adhesions from previous surgeries are blocking my bladder from emptying properly, or to see if they can see any other reason it's not working properly and try and put my urethra back in place, whatever that involves. My pelvic organs have a tendency to prolapse. I don't think adhesions are the problem but my urologist feels things have to be ruled out. I should only be in hospital one day, so I've no reason to be that concerned about it, I just am!

scottsma

Please let us know the outcome tomorrow UX.You must be on the surgeons Xmas card list,or at least on first name terms, after all your visits.

Try to sleep well tonight,it'll all be over this time tomorrow.

One of my surgeons and I actually do exchange Christmas cards. ;) He always comes to visit me when I'm in hospital under other doctors too. I've been seeing him several times a year since 2007, so it would be more odd if we didn't. This one will be by a different surgeon, as it's mainly urological, but I've seen him several times before.

All is good, besides making me wait two and a half hours because they couldn't find my notes. I have a chest infection, according to an x-ray, so I have to have antibiotics first. Having made it through massive emergency open surgery last year and recovering so well, they think spending twenty mintues under anaesthetic while they have a look at my bladder will be no problem. :)

Glad it went well and they are so positive about the surgery! :)

Hope the chest infection is cleared quickly!

p.s. wouldn't it be hard to misplace something as big as your notes? :p

scottsma

Well that's you done for the day eh ?
I hope the antibiotics don't have an adverse effect.
There's always something isn't there ? I would say there's light at the end of the tunnel,but it's probably a train.

I'm just glad they're going to do a cystoscopy at the same time while I'm under anaesthetic. I can do NG tubes, lumbar punctures, everything with no problem, but for some reason every time they put something into my bladder I pass out. Now it's become such a phobia that I felt woozy just reading the leaflet about what's involved.

I know the feeling. Last time I was in the hospital, I'd get tears in my eyes every time a lab tech walked into the room. By then they had such a hard time finding a useable vein, I felt like a pincushion.

I'm just glad they're going to do a cystoscopy at the same time while I'm under anaesthetic. I can do NG tubes, lumbar punctures, everything with no problem, but for some reason every time they put something into my bladder I pass out. Now it's become such a phobia that I felt woozy just reading the leaflet about what's involved.
It's funny the things that get to us. I spend all day everyday sticking tubes through my urethra (because I have to, not for fun :p). But I can only do colonoscopies under GA now. If you need to, just remember the urethra is short and mostly straight. But hey you will be under so yay! I hope that the op is helpful.

Oh and I hope you told them about your back - don't want them throwing you on to the table once you're out!

Thanks. One of the fifty or so questions was about back problems, so as long as they can find that amongst all the other information, I should be ok. :)

And poor you. :( I don't know whether I'd get used to bladder insertions if I had to do them often. I think it's because I found my first cystoscopy and urodynamic study incredibly painful even though they're not supposed to be, and I think now I probably tense up and make it worse. I did ok with catheters during my last admission, I think at least partly because I was on a massive load of painkillers.

Oh joy! The secondary things often don't get remembered do they. You might be better off writing it on your back in marker pen! :lol2:

Yeah prior painful experiences can have such a long term impact can't they. Fingers crossed all is smooth this time.

Alright who cast a spell on me? The night I made the jest in the previous post, I wound up in the ER with a partial obstruction.

Recovering, thanks. Went home from the ER, the IV fluids helped clear it up.

Had to cut hot peppers out of my diet after my surgery four years ago, that stuff inflames my piping. A couple of days before last weekend's obstruction I had lunch with work associates and one of the dishes from the buffet had hot pepper, but it was slow burn so I didn't know it at first. I stopped eating it but it was too late.