• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Advice needed from Canadians

Hello everyone!

I'm new here. Was diagnosed with crohn's in April but probably had it for at least 4 years before that. I'm an Aussie and I am hoping to head over to Canada next year to work for 1-2 years. This is only if I can get health insurance to cover me for crohn's as I am not covered under Canadian medicare on a working holiday visa (My mum is convinced she will need to sell the house to put me up in a canadian hospital when my bowel starts to snack on itself:) )

Anyways my question is about meds. I'm in remission at the moment so I am off the pred (fat head persists:) ) I am only on salofalk at present. There is only so much I am allowed to take with me. In Aus I get 2 packs for $30 (400 tabs) I think this is only because I am an Aus citizen and this drug is on our pharmaceutical benefits scheme. Was wandering how much it costs in canada and if you think it will be more expensive if you are not a Canadian citizen. Sorry this is so long. Cheers for any advice:)

Jackie

Thanks so much for your reply Pen! I'm glad salofalk doesn't cost too much! i'm actually a high school teacher. Even to get in to Canada on a working holiday visa I need to have a $300 medical. I'm pretty sure it's to check for communicable diseases. You must have one if you want to work as a teacher or in medical services. Fair enough. That doesn't worry me it is just getting medical insurance. I will find out in the next 2 weeks if I am able to get it. I am in remission at the moment and definitely don't have crohns as bad as some. I don't get chronic D most of the time, the opposite actually... which I think makes life alot easier for me. I am looking into everything now. I wont go without insurance but when there's a will there's a way! I love travelling. It' is my favourite thing in the world. I did it for three years and I know I can do it again... just wish I didn't have a pre-existing condition!

I agree with Pen that finding a doctor is a hard thing to do (unless you go to a small town like mine where they don't seem to stay longer than a year or 2 at a time).
Are you hoping for east, west, or central Canada?

Thanks for the replies!! I am not sure yet where I will base myself. I will have to do alot more research. I don't mind if I am in a big city or a smaller town. I would like to travel around a bit at first and do some sight seeing. Are GI visits expensive? Fingers crossed I won't need to find out! I still have to talk to my GI and see what she thinks about me going. Even though I hate pred with a passion it does work wonders and gets my chron's under control very quickly, which is good to know. My biggest fear is ending up in hospital with a bowel obstruction and a big bill. I will find out this week if I can get travel insurance to cover crohn's. Again, thanks for your advice. This forum is great!

jackie